• Avonside (flat-sided tank) 0-4-0ST
    • Manning Wardle class H or P 0-4-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F (Fireless)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. 4mm: I.C.

• Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM
    • Hunslet "Yardmaster" 4wDM
    • English Electric "Stephenson" 0-4-0DH
    • Hibberd 4wDM (Late model, e.g SC or LTC type)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. 7mm Steam

• Avonside (flat-sided tank) 0-4-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F (Fireless)
    • Borrows 0-4-0WT
    • Hawthorn Leslie (or RSH) 0-4-0ST
    • None of the above
  4. 4. 7mm I.C.

• Hibberd 4wDM (late type e.g. SC or LTC)
    • Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM
    • Hunslet "Yardmaster" 4wDM
    • English Electric "Stephenson" 0-4-0DH
    • None of the above

When I scratch built my Andrew Barclay in 7mm scale, try as I might, I could not hide the motor, the rear axle is in an awkward place for motor and gear fitting, fortunately by fitting 4 sand boxes and pipe work etc, I was able to draw the eye away. Despite being 7mm, there isn't as much space as you would think, so 4mm must be a proper squeeze.

attachicon.gifIMG_0487.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0810.JPG

Cheer's, Pete.

That is a lovely piece of kit!!!!

Is it a 12" or 14" Barclay?

Chris.

• Like 1

I'm just wondering why you would think there is a such a percieved difficulty as it's not something that I would have ever thought about. I have never found any problem in both 4 and 7mm scale with 0-4-0s running over (live frog) pointwork. I would imagine they would have great difficulty crossing dead frogs but does anyone still use that sort of trackwork anyway?

I am that rare beast, somebody who has a dead frog Peco Settrack curved point on my trainset.

It fitted the spot and, being lazy, I thought I'd see if I could run so called scale industrials through it.

The answer is yes!

The trick, as far as I have found , is to run the locos through the point and stick plates of thin plasticard in the frog.

Trust me it works!!!

What runs through it?

Impetus Lewin with whosever wheels went on that beast, High Level Whitworth Diesel Electric 0-4-0. Gibson wheels I think. She is compensated. Impetus Barclay fireless, Romfords, non compensated, Impetus Sentinel, Australian powerdrive very short wheelbase and after all this eldritch stuff, bog standard Hornby Sentinel and Pecket!

Yes, I am aware I have a major Industrial Problem!!!

The point of this drivel is, you can, with a little bit of 'Fiddling About' get properly set up little stuff, running through dead frog points.

Chris.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It is good that any industrial loco gets on this list and I would vote for all in the 4mm range. Not to create a froth wish list, but to consider the wide industrial applications, and I can understand that many other locos could be added to the list

4mm

Sentinel 0-6-0 – (I guess this may be in Hornby’s future)

https://bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/sentinel-0-6-0-no-pba-39-and-pba-40-at-avonmouth-docks-14582.jpg

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM -  

http://train-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/16095.jpg   and

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8059/8185131545_4d3e35cecd_b.jpg

Peckett 0-6-0ST

https://i1.wp.com/bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/0-6-0st-no-s8-westbury-peckett-1877-of-1934-at-the-port-of-bristol-authority-avonmouth-21763.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop&ssl=1

Edit for spelling mistake

Regards

Unfortunately I fear that 0-6-0 adaptations of current 0-4-0 models are unlikely as they will be deemed as too similar to justify whole new sets of tooling etc.

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately I fear that 0-6-0 adaptations of current 0-4-0 models are unlikely as they will be deemed as too similar to justify whole new sets of tooling etc.

Unless a rival manufacturer considers it worthwhile.