Boco_D1

• RMweb Premium

So I've been thinking about this challenge for a bit and there are two entries I want to have a go at. One idea will be based on a small portion of Birmingham New Street in the 90s/00s, allowing me to display a loco or piece of rolling stock.

My other idea is based on this

post-12984-0-86362200-1509661151_thumb.jpg

I love this box art and this will give a great excuse to have a go at military modelling. I'm going to mix scales using a 1:72 Airfix typhoon kit and N gauge track trying to use force perspective to create the imagie.

post-12984-0-09477700-1509661859_thumb.jpg

This is roughly the idea I'm going for, I found an old minitrix shell in my scraps box I was going to use but looking online I've picked up a class B 52 (I'm no expert on German locomotives but I believe this is the loco in the box art) by Del prado which are static n Gauge models, either way it will be perfect for the scene.

And of course this project will finally allow me to get round to building this

post-12984-0-85109400-1509662074_thumb.jpg

It's been sitting in the to be built pile for some time.

And the cake connection (although not required) I had a Google and found Typhoon cake tins, bonus!

Edited by Boco_D1
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

You could go to town with lighting & smoke generator for the burning train effects!! :yes:

Im looking into it there are some very cool effects people have achieved online with various methods, this will certainly be a case of playing around a lot to try and find what works.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been playing around with the dimensions available trying to work out the best way to force the perspective. After playing around with different ideas And cut a few envelopes into triangles and tried this:

post-12984-0-13594600-1509745131_thumb.jpg

By looking at the base in a diamond position and then using the triangles to force the perspective I think it tricks the eye into thinking there is more depth than there is and to prove the test...

post-12984-0-03502800-1509745300_thumb.jpg

My trusted spitfire held roughly in place, I think it works quite well.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Well my B52 arrived and the typhoon is almost finished so I thought I'd have another visual check.post-12984-0-14628800-1510040419_thumb.jpg

I cut the two triangular sides to the same height as the backscene but I think it's too high in comparison to the original cut up envelopes so I will cut them down.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I like the use of different scales, will definitely fool the eye.

I have modelled planes with “spinning” propellers using a circle of slightly opaque plastic. Photo taken on our modular layout when running 1940s trains.

Rogerpost-1130-0-15475700-1510052574_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 21C123
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

So the typhoon is now built just waiting transfers.

post-12984-0-98625200-1510192208_thumb.jpg

I have cut a circle of plastic and then painted it black where the propellor arms will be before lightly scratching the paint off with sand paper.

post-12984-0-78888800-1510192389_thumb.jpg

I also found some cotton wool in the house which works very well for the exploding train.

post-12984-0-41344200-1510192457_thumb.jpg

I've cut another base and angled it to slope down towards the front. The outside has been given a coat of black and the sky has been painted on the inside. I also have some very small trees by Bush and have lined them tallest to smallest to incourage the deception of depth.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Could you hide the rear corner by using a large piece of card for the backscene by gently curving it?

It's a thought that has crossed my mind i just don't want the curve to take up too much space as I want as much distance as I can get between plane, train and backscene. I suppose the best way to find out is have a go.

Edited by Boco_D1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now the smoke generator is certainly a possibility as the loco is hollow inside, do the rules include the power source to be within the size limits? I'm certainly going to put lights on the loco to give a fire effect and have been wondering if the hut next to the level crossing will need to be big enough to hide batteries. As for the background, I painted at 2 in the morning, it looked okay then, in the daylight it's not so good so I will be attempting something different to improve the look.

• RMweb Premium

I really wasn't happy with the backscene so I cut some card to size (after several attempts to get it the right size) and paint a more detailed backscene.

post-12984-0-67599700-1510607244_thumb.jpg

Working with the position of the track, which I had decided to realign so it comes towards the viewer, and the box art I painted a much better backscene. I've also gone with the curve in the backscene which is certainly an improvement.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

With the back scene done I'm now concentrating on the exploding locomotive. I found a sluthe smoke generator in my spares box but it wasn't playing ball. I also wanted the power source to be kept with the diorama so I've decided just to concentrate on a light for the explosion.

post-12984-0-23972400-1510781514_thumb.jpg

So I've built a self contained power battery box which I will hide under the scenery. I'm rather pleased with this, I've added lights to buildings and locos before but I've always hooked them up to the layout. This time I played around with various batteries to light up the LED and then moved on to building the box. The box itself is made with a base of mountcard with some off cuts of foamboard sandwiching the batteries, I got old loco pickup and cut them off thereded thorough a bit more mountcard and then wired up the circuit. Next job is to add the light to the loco. And hiding the box under the scene and remember to put an access door on the bottom too.

• Like 2

One thought:

If you haven't already glued-down the tracks, you might 'dodge' a bit of extra false perspective by setting them on ever-so--subtly diverging courses.

The ultimate would be to make some bits of track with converging gauge, but that might Interfere with other aspects of your work of art.

• Like 1