New tts 08

Marcoblanco

• RMweb Gold

Anybody else impressed with the new Hornby tts 08 the blog..? I wonder how hard it will be to do a body swop as I wouldn't mind changing livery as dbs bit to modern for me..

Very impressive - hopefully they will release the chip separately as they have for most (but not all) of the current TTS range 

• RMweb Premium

I'll be interested to see where they have fitted the decoder and speaker and the size of the latter. The December HM just says it has arrived and gives the basic specs along with a pic. No doubt a full review will be in a future issue. I have squeezed a 3D Zimo speaker into the front of my Bachmann 08 in the hopes this TTS chip will be offered separately in the future, for it does sound good.

Izzy

Take a look at Hornby Service Sheet 363, which I would think would be the same arrangement apart from the 21-pin socket and full fat decoder being replaced by an 8-pin socket and TTS decoder.

Speaker is likely to be the standard 8-ohm 28mm diam item.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Premium

Take a look at Hornby Service Sheet 363, which I would think would be the same arrangement apart from the 21-pin socket and full fat decoder being replaced by an 8-pin socket and TTS decoder.

Speaker is likely to be the standard 8-ohm 28mm diam item.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

Seems there may be a bit more room in the Hornby 08 above the motor compared to the Bachmann version. The speaker looks to be oblong but smaller than the 40x20's supplied with the latest individual TTS but as I have the Zimo fitted this isn't a problem, but fitting a stay-alive cap unit is an aim and might be. We'll see.

Izzy

If it's like the separate TTS decoder that I put in my super detailed (not Railroad) Class 31 that little bit of jerky behaviour can be cured by altering the algorithm CVs as detailed in the easiest to follow instruction sheet I have ever received with a sound decoder.

I have found that with fine tuning these TTS decoders are just as smooth and controllable as my Loksounds and Zimos.

• 1 year later...
On 22/11/2017 at 12:19, ovbulleid said:

Based on such positive reviews, does anyone know when this will be available as a stand-alone chip and speaker? Given the popularity of this engine, and that Bachmann also use an 8-pin chip in theirs, I’m sure there will be a massive market for them

Its being released as a standalone item by Hornby and is currently expected in May. Product code is: R7146

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I got this email from Hattons in January, as I'd requested release info'.

============================================================

"Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R7146 TTS Sound Decoder - Class 08 £38.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us April 2019

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed.

This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways
www.hattons.co.uk "

================================================================================

This is only a guide to when it will be available. The previous post in this thread may have had more up to date info', as it says May.

Looks like there will be high demand for these, so snap 'em up quick.

Rob