Hornby Announce SR 4-6-0 Lord Nelson

MGR Hooper!

Some pictures of previous attempts to model the Lord Nelson class. The 1930s Hornby 0 gauge model of 'Lord Nelson' bore little resemblance to the prototype but must have been a well engineered model to have survived for over 80 years.

Bachmann's 00 gauge models of 'Lord Anson', 'Sir Martin Frobisher', 'Robert Blake' and 'Sir Francis Drake'.

It will be interesting to compare the Hornby and Bachmann versions of 'Sir Francis Drake'.

post-17621-0-34451700-1516267087_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-57801900-1516267157_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-29254900-1516267231_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-74547300-1516267286_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-43664400-1516267341_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some pictures of previous attempts to model the Lord Nelson class. The 1930s Hornby 0 gauge model of 'Lord Nelson' bore little resemblance to the prototype but must have been a well engineered model to have survived for over 80 years.

Bachmann's 00 gauge models of 'Lord Anson', 'Sir Martin Frobisher', 'Robert Blake' and 'Sir Francis Drake'.

It will be interesting to compare the Hornby and Bachmann versions of 'Sir Francis Drake'.

I already compared their CADs to the Bachmann and - as much as I always thought the Bachmann offering brilliant when first released, and still pretty good even by today's standards - none the less the Hornby one already looks to be a level superior.

The Bachmann model carries the early bogie on all models, Hornby show 2 distinct types, 855 has a Maunsall chimney but is missing all the other Maunsall features, in particular the outside steampipes poking through the deflectors, like wise the smokebox should be shorter as Bullied extended them.

I never felt a need to replace my Bachmann Nelsons (unlike the Wrenn, Triang tooling West Countries & BOB), and certainly won't replace them one for one, however the new detailed choices Hornby have offered certainly made me want to buy one.

I hope they release the TTS chip alone in 2019 too.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

I already compared their CADs to the Bachmann and - as much as I always thought the Bachmann offering brilliant when first released, and still pretty good even by today's standards - none the less the Hornby one already looks to be a level superior.

The Bachmann model carries the early bogie on all models, Hornby show 2 distinct types, 855 has a Maunsall chimney but is missing all the other Maunsall features, in particular the outside steampipes poking through the deflectors, like wise the smokebox should be shorter as Bullied extended them.

I never felt a need to replace my Bachmann Nelsons (unlike the Wrenn, Triang tooling West Countries & BOB), and certainly won't replace them one for one, however the new detailed choices Hornby have offered certainly made me want to buy one.

I hope they release the TTS chip alone in 2019 too.

Both the Bachmann and the Hornby 00 gauge Nelsons look more realistic than the Hornby 0 gauge one. Despite this the paint finish and lining were good on the Hornby 0 gauge model and it was well engineered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe I've been unlucky, I've had two examples of the Bachmann Sir Francis Drake and both were poor runners so were disposed of.

The only Bachmann LN I've hung on to is a Sir Walter Raleigh, [31-405] acquired second-hand, which is as good at the other two were bad.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

A picture of a Bachmann 'Sir Francis Drake' with a rake of Hornby BR green Maunsell coaches. This is a BR cycling lion locomotive with a train of green coaches like the picture of 'Lord Howe' on July 7 1950 in the February 2018 Hornby Magazine when I would expect to see crimson and cream coaches. The green coaches with 'Sir Francis Drake' could either be renumbered Southern malachite green coaches which have darkened after several coats of varnish or a view taken in the late 1950s before the locomotive got the late crest with a rake of BR SR green coaches.

post-17621-0-05754300-1516909232_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean , this one still possible?

No I am pretty certain that they will not be producing 857 with the round topped boiler. I took a crack at it using a combination of Bachmann chassis and craftsman body parts.

post-243-0-95333700-1517057354_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for posting these. The Bachmann examples never quite seemed to convey the proportions of a Lord Nelson. Not sure if it is the wheels or something else but they never looked quite right 

Hornby's example looks much closer 

thanks for posting these. The Bachmann examples never quite seemed to convey the proportions of a Lord Nelson. Not sure if it is the wheels or something else but they never looked quite right 

Hornby's example looks much closer 

It was the chimney. A replacement Markits chimney brought it right up to standard (well, apart from the tender, which was pretty dire)

It was the chimney. A replacement Markits chimney brought it right up to standard (well, apart from the tender, which was pretty dire)

I think the Bachmann model is great, mine run beautifully, the rods and motion are a bit coarse maybe, but the shiny wheel rims on some versions looks a bit poor to my eye.

Hornby will I suspect have just generally finer detail, and both of course benefit with various details like cylinder drains, couplings, hoses, steps etc.

pics edited will remove if required

post-7929-0-65240000-1518890869_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-24069400-1518890928_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-36168200-1518891265_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-80754200-1518890987_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-81412200-1518891066_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Didn't Bachmann say years ago that they wouldn't update their model or even do a new chassis for it because the model was always a poor seller? It seems to be the only model that was new in the 90s that they have not updated at all (yes I know the J39 hasn't, but it is in the (very long!) pipeline) If thats the case, it will be interesting to see how well the Hornby model sells.

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Bachmann say years ago that they wouldn't update their model or even do a new chassis for it because the model was always a poor seller? It seems to be the only model that was new in the 90s that they have not updated at all (yes I know the J39 hasn't, but it is in the (very long!) pipeline) If thats the case, it will be interesting to see how well the Hornby model sells.

Bachmann had a long history of indifference to Southern prototypes, only having produced the Nelson, the N, the "Queen Mary" brake and the Bulleid coaches in the first two decades of their existence. Some or all of these were based on models previously under development by Airfix/Mainline and, left to Bachmann alone, there might well have been nothing.

More recently, they belatedly recognised that BR didn't emerge from a "Big Three". It was a long time coming, but the "Birdcages (in particular) were worth the wait and I think the Atlantic will be, too. I don't "do" electrics so can't comment on the EMUs.

Hornby became the prime source of r-t-r product for the Southern enthusiast by being effectively given a free run at it by their main competitor.  

If my experience of Bachmann Nelsons is anything to go by, any lack of sales might have had more to do with the model than the prototype. For its age, it's not a bad effort in visual terms, but two out of the three I have owned were very indifferent runners, which is why I only have one now.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to Hornby doing a "proper job" of it, to modern standards.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

Was there anything other than the 4CEP, which only just scraped into SR?

Depends if you are treating 'SR' as Southern Railway or Southern Region (BR). The 4CEP and all Bachmann's third rail EMUs are BR Southern Region - 4CEP, 2EPB, Motor luggage van. Hornby, on the other hand, does/did the 2BIL, 2HAL and 5BEL, all of which originated with the Southern Railway. The 4CEP doesn't scrape into Southern Railway and is well into Southern Region era, being a Kent Coast late 1950s design. (CJL)

Bachmann had a long history of indifference to Southern prototypes, only having produced the Nelson, the N, the "Queen Mary" brake and the Bulleid coaches in the first two decades of their existence. Some or all of these were based on models previously under development by Airfix/Mainline and, left to Bachmann alone, there might well have been nothing.

More recently, they belatedly recognised that BR didn't emerge from a "Big Three". It was a long time coming, but the "Birdcages (in particular) were worth the wait and I think the Atlantic will be, too. I don't "do" electrics so can't comment on the EMUs.

Hornby became the prime source of r-t-r product for the Southern enthusiast by being effectively given a free run at it by their main competitor.  

I remember talking to a Bachman. Rep when the Lord Nelson came out and he said that the only reason they did the LN was they were producing the Royal Scot and the chassis was identical. In addition he said that at that time they had no plans to do any more SR locos as “there isn’t a market for them”.

If my experience of Bachmann Nelsons is anything to go by, any lack of sales might have had more to do with the model than the prototype. For its age, it's not a bad effort in visual terms, but two out of the three I have owned were very indifferent runners, which is why I only have one now.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to Hornby doing a "proper job" of it, to modern standards.  

John

I remember talking to a Bachman. Rep when the Lord Nelson came out and he said that the only reason they did the LN was they were producing the Royal Scot and the chassis was identical. In addition he said that at that time they had no plans to do any more SR locos as “there isn’t a market for them”.

John

huh?

Bachmann must be right. There clearly isn't a market for the Merchant Navy, West Country, Battle of Britain, Schools, King Arthur, S15, T9 .......... as Hornby will confirm.

Bachmann at least does the Standard 4MTs and 5MT which is pretty important for late BR Southern Region steam...  the 76000 class is in fact a very fine model, and aren't Bachmann doing a named 5MT this year?

I look forward to the Hornby Nelson. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I just wish Bachmann would do some of the Southern Region specific 4MT Moguls. I can't say I've noticed them do any yet (I stand to be corrected).

I have one, 32-950, No.76053 with BR1B tender, purchased in 2007, and I'm pretty sure they have done at least one other.

John