Thanks :) Brings the KLR's count of functioning locomotives up to a nice 7 out of an intended but non-final number of 16 at this moment. An 8th is of course in the works then it's back to trying to work out what's next...

I remember we talked about a large tank engine, something like A  0-8-0 or 0-10-0, perhaps you could work on that next?

Got a bit of a minor issue:

post-33750-0-69876800-1524325976_thumb.jpg

(Using the old phone again as new phone is out of commission at the moment for various reasons. Sorry about the picture quality.)
I've shortened the running plate of Gremlin but now the bit of metal behind the smokebox interferes with the worm screw. Also the body is too low for the boiler to fit so it may need a bit of a rework.

EDIT: And now the running plate has fallen in half as the glue isn't strong enough to hold that weight of metal and I can't fix it back together. D*mn it. I'll have to think of something else entirely.

I remember we talked about a large tank engine, something like A  0-8-0 or 0-10-0, perhaps you could work on that next?

I did mention that yes. Issue is finding an appropriate chassis and making a workable body shell. I'd wanted to make Mastodon but because of its dimensions it ended up as an 0-6-0T. I'd like an 0-8-0 or 0-10-0 goods loco but I don't know quite how to go about it or whether it'd make sense running something that size in the middle of a tiny railway in the Fens.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

My total rework of Gremlin was a total success.

post-33750-0-60346000-1524383264_thumb.jpg

The only remaining Caley Pug parts are now the running plate, the chassis and the cab. The boiler and tanks are cut from a Triang Jinty, and the smokebox, as one can probably tell, is from a spare Nellie. The body is full of a ton of filler to help keep the thing together and the result of that is it's stupidly heavy. Seriously, the body is almost as heavy as the entire of Mastodon. I'm worried the body will either not fit or that the modified Caley Pug chassis won't be able to carry the weight.
Gremlin has ended up as definitely a strange little beast. The inspiration I took from relaxinghobby's creation from the Pugbash thread is plainly visible.

• Like 9

Good afternoon from a thundery Manchester,

Looking at your Ed Bradliegh put a crazy idea into my head.

Could I use my Rivarossi 2-8-0 chassis and stick a modified K1 body on it?

Don't know, but I am going to try!!

I've had a day of watching endurance motorcycling, Le Mans 24hrs, Liege Bastogne Liege cycle race and now some GT endurance, the Blaincpain stuff. So I'll check it out later. Trust me, I will!!!

If it does work I haven't got a clue what I'll do with it!!!!

This freelance stuff gets to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work!

Chris.

PS,

As a fellow Anime fan, what is your opinion of the Ghost In The Shell Movie?

Wrong place to ask!!! I just thought I would!!

Chris.

• Like 1

Good afternoon from a thundery Manchester,

Looking at your Ed Bradliegh put a crazy idea into my head.

Could I use my Rivarossi 2-8-0 chassis and stick a modified K1 body on it?

Don't know, but I am going to try!!

I've had a day of watching endurance motorcycling, Le Mans 24hrs, Liege Bastogne Liege cycle race and now some GT endurance, the Blaincpain stuff. So I'll check it out later. Trust me, I will!!!

If it does work I haven't got a clue what I'll do with it!!!!

This freelance stuff gets to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work!

Chris.

Hmm. Never tried, so can't say if I know. I'd say go for it Chris. Could be interesting to see the result. And thanks for the praise as ever. Should have a picture of the finished Gremlin soon.

As a fellow Anime fan, what is your opinion of the Ghost In The Shell Movie?

Wrong place to ask!!! I just thought I would!!

Chris.

Not at all the wrong place to ask. I don't mind this thread going a little off topic so long as it gets back eventually. I felt the movie was OK. What they tried to do in doing a live-action Ghost in the Shell was ambitious, and the whole whitewashing backlash, while not unfounded, was extremely unfair. The movie itself is far from perfect, but not unwatchable, and far from the level of brilliance of the original animated version. 

Scarlett Johansson is very attractive though. It does have that in its favour :P

• Like 1

"And then there were eight..."

post-33750-0-51456600-1524413790_thumb.jpg

Gremlin is complete, with just the usual silver detailing to add. What started off as a project I had no idea how to finish has produced a rather sweet little 0-4-0 tank engine - one of now three the KLR has. Quite what it'll do on the KLR remains to be decided. 

• Like 10

Hmm. Never tried, so can't say if I know. I'd say go for it Chris. Could be interesting to see the result. And thanks for the praise as ever. Should have a picture of the finished Gremlin soon.

Not at all the wrong place to ask. I don't mind this thread going a little off topic so long as it gets back eventually. I felt the movie was OK. What they tried to do in doing a live-action Ghost in the Shell was ambitious, and the whole whitewashing backlash, while not unfounded, was extremely unfair. The movie itself is far from perfect, but not unwatchable, and far from the level of brilliance of the original animated version. 

Scarlett Johansson is very attractive though. It does have that in its favour :P

Thanks for the first bit. I will continue with the idea.

The second part, I agree totally with your opinion.

I have watched the film umpteen times now. I can't stop!!!

As a combination of the later anime origin story, I , like you, don't think it is too bad.

Spot on about Scarlett Johanson, she is georgous!!!

I will now get my coat!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

Thanks for the first bit. I will continue with the idea.

The second part, I agree totally with your opinion.

I have watched the film umpteen times now. I can't stop!!!

As a combination of the later anime origin story, I , like you, don't think it is too bad.

Spot on about Scarlett Johanson, she is georgous!!!

I will now get my coat!!!

Chris.

No need to grab your coat. I like having someone to discuss my interests with even if it does take the thread off topic for a while. If Edwardian can get away with it so can I! :P

Look forward to seeing the outcome of it. Might give me some inspiration for my own potential freight loco plans.

Also some more loco lore.

No.7 "Gremlin"

Many of the KLR's locomotives were constructed within the railway's workshops at Berkham in some respect. But all of those were locomotives before, and were modified into their current forms which sometimes are unrecognisable. There are, however, three which were built in their entirety at Berkham. Gremlin was the second of these. Completed in 1979 and constructed from spare parts from Bulldog along with parts from several unsalvageable locomotives, Gremlin is an odd beast. This small open-cab 0-4-0 tank engine is very squat, with a short wheelbase and tall tanks that almost encase the locomotive's entire boiler and firebox. The design for this little tank engine was one of Emily Bradleigh's first design works for the KLR, and her technical genius really shines through here. Gremlin really should not work. Much of its engineering is what would be considered wrong. But those wrong things are so well engineered around that it works. However, it created a small shunter that while effective and powerful does have some noticeable issues with reliability. It generally works as the pilot at Alnerwick station, keeping the large mid-line station as clean as possible between having to be checked over. 

• Like 4

1. Bulldog - Avonside industrial 0-4-0 side tank - Triang Nellie refurb

Wild Rover - GER S69 4-6-0 rebuilt into an 0-6-0 - Triang LNER B12 bashed into an 0-6-0

Peter - Beyer Peacock industrial 0-4-0 saddle tank - Slightly modified Dapol L&YR Pug

Mastodon - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-6-0 side tank - Modified Hornby Dublo 0-4-0 starter tank on modified Triang Jinty chassis

Geoffrey Lake - North British Locomotive Company 0-6-0 side tank - Modified Hornby Thomas on Triang Jinty chassis

Wanderer - GWR 14xx 0-4-2 side tank - Airfix GWR 14xx

Gremlin - Industrial 0-4-0 new build - Hornby Caley Pug/Triang Jinty/Triang Nellie bash

As yet unnamed - Modified LMS 4P 2-6-4 - Unbuilt at time of writing

Undecided

Undecided

Tom Hickathrift - Modified BR Standard 5MT 4-6-0 with GNR H4 tender - Unbuilt at time of writing

Undecided

Undecided

Renegade - BR Class 04 0-6-0 diesel shunter - Unbuilt at time of writing

Undecided

Edward Bradleigh I - LNER pattern 2-6-0 new build - Bachmann K3/Triang B12 combo with Lima Fowler tender

Lady Genevieve - Hudswell Clarke 0-10-0 tender engine built on commission - Unbuilt at time of writing

As yet unnamed - GER B74 0-4-0 tram replica - Unbuilt at time of writing

Nice little update on the KLR's roster for you. Thanks Sem for the 4P!

• Like 3

Morning Red,

I have the white metal tender for the K1 I'm attacking, slowly!! for my 2-8-0. Is it of any use to you?

If it is, give me a shout and I'll endeavour to send the bits to you.

I am going to use the Rivarossi tender for my locomotive and have no use for it.

Chris.

Morning Red,

I have the white metal tender for the K1 I'm attacking, slowly!! for my 2-8-0. Is it of any use to you?

If it is, give me a shout and I'll endeavour to send the bits to you.

I am going to use the Rivarossi tender for my locomotive and have no use for it.

Chris.

Awesome Chris! Definitely a thought, thanks for the heads up. I'll think about it, definitely.

• Like 2

May provide an LNER tender for a loco that's on its way to you! (Or will be soon...)

prin.jpg

I know that a 4-6-2 is of little use on the KLR, but you could trim it down a bit to a 2-6-2, 4-6-0, 2-6-0, whatever! You have LNER Cabs to put on it, then an LNER tender would help!

• Like 2

May provide an LNER tender for a loco that's on its way to you! (Or will be soon...)

prin.jpg

I know that a 4-6-2 is of little use on the KLR, but you could trim it down a bit to a 2-6-2, 4-6-0, 2-6-0, whatever! You have LNER Cabs to put on it, then an LNER tender would help!

You're sending me one of the Princesses? Alright then. Chris, send it over!

• Like 1

I also included a Stanier tender, and a tender chassis, so you could perhaps use the Triang Chassis (And couplings)  with the whitemetal body to cut down on weight and provide free running.

You're sending me one of the Princesses? Alright then. Chris, send it over!

Right.

I've just got back from Chorlton, but I'll get it in the post asap, work and chemo permitting!!

Personally, I'd have a crack at a 2-6-2. Don't know what chassis to use mind.

The 4P I'd do a 2-8-2, on the lines of the big tanks doing the push and pull trains into the Gare du Nord or the 1-4-1 TA tanks in the Auvergne region of the SNCF.

The Paris tanks were awesome! Small wheels, fast acceleration, strange valve gear, heavy trains and Big!!

Chris.

• Like 1

I was thinking Red could use the original chassis with bits removed, on the princess.

It may be best to leave the 4P for now... just saying, as it has got a very nice chassis.

The body will be modified though, as I understand it...

• Like 1

I also included a Stanier tender, and a tender chassis, so you could perhaps use the Triang Chassis (And couplings)  with the whitemetal body to cut down on weight and provide free running.

Thanks man. Look forward to seeing what else you included in your parcel. Don't spoil it all now ;)

Right.

I've just got back from Chorlton, but I'll get it in the post asap, work and chemo permitting!!

Personally, I'd have a crack at a 2-6-2. Don't know what chassis to use mind.

The 4P I'd do a 2-8-2, on the lines of the big tanks doing the push and pull trains into the Gare du Nord or the 1-4-1 TA tanks in the Auvergne region of the SNCF.

The Paris tanks were awesome! Small wheels, fast acceleration, strange valve gear, heavy trains and Big!!

Chris.

Yeah. Was actually planning to keep it the same and do aesthetic external changes only ("Easternisation" mainly). I do like the big Adriatic tanks, though the practicality of a tank engine that size on the KLR is something of a point of contention.

But on the tender front, of course chemo is more important. One's health should always come first. I can wait if you don't get the time.

• Like 1

I did wonder about a big tank on the KLR!!

Nice to dream though!

The tender WILL be on its way to you next week!

Oh Yes, I had better ask you for your address!!

DURRR!!!!!

Chris.

• Like 1

I did wonder about a big tank on the KLR!!

Nice to dream though!

The tender WILL be on its way to you next week!

Oh Yes, I had better ask you for your address!!

DURRR!!!!!

Chris.

That's true. I've sent it to you on a PM as I'm not a fan of the idea of broadcasting my address to everyone on the site.