Ah, you see, I will do everything in my power to introduce as many terriers to layouts as I can!

I've even changed my avatar to help persuade you all!

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

I too suffer from this problem on a regular basis, and (I suspect much like yourself) am hopefully waiting for prices of the old model to plummet once the new one is out/a bit nearer to release.

I too suffer from this problem on a regular basis, and (I suspect much like yourself) am hopefully waiting for prices of the old model to plummet once the new one is out/a bit nearer to release.

Why do you think most of my models are running on ancient Triang chassis? Because they're dirt cheap! (Also why Peter still sits as just a tank and smokebox on the shelf above my workbench.)

• RMweb Gold

My advice would be to save your pennies and buy a soldering iron kit and teach yourself to solder (also if you can, a dremel) - because being able to do wiring etc. frees up a whole range of bodgery and the ability to put cheap ebay motors in old chassis etc.- like I did recently with a modern Hornby motor in an old airfix chassis, it's a real bodge but it works and cheaper than buying a brand new chassis (the motor and gears were less than a tenner).

• Like 3

My advice would be to save your pennies and buy a soldering iron kit and teach yourself to solder (also if you can, a dremel) - because being able to do wiring etc. frees up a whole range of bodgery and the ability to put cheap ebay motors in old chassis etc.- like I did recently with a modern Hornby motor in an old airfix chassis, it's a real bodge but it works and cheaper than buying a brand new chassis (the motor and gears were less than a tenner).

Good advice. I can get a dremel pretty easily as there's a good DIY shop in Watton near where I work. Can probably get soldering stuff from there too. I can easily keep buying little bits like cheap body shells (also if I can find any ultra-cheap locos on eBay that people have missed.)

• Like 2

Shops? Is that what those buildings that sell goods are called? ;)

Dremel for £32:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-3000-15-Multitool-130-Accessories/dp/B0078LENZC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1522776946&sr=1-5&keywords=dremel

Note: I would NOT buy a draper or other cheap brand one, having had 2 and both fell apart within days.

Duly noted. Thank you very much for that info. Might make my future work a lot less messy that the construction of Wild Rover was.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

Good advice. I can get a dremel pretty easily as there's a good DIY shop in Watton near where I work. Can probably get soldering stuff from there too. I can easily keep buying little bits like cheap body shells (also if I can find any ultra-cheap locos on eBay that people have missed.)

Corbs is absolutely right about buying quality tools at a sensibly low price.  I recently bought a Chinese made gas soldering iron which fell apart while hot after less than 10 hours work...Scary!

A small Antex bought unused from eBay and an introduction to the wonders of solder paint have opened up a whole world of modelling I couldn't attempt before.  The only problem now is finding cheap brass kits.  The only cure for that I'm afraid is patience.

post-22897-0-89236500-1522852240_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at a brass wagon in N gauge.  I want more!

• Like 2

Corbs is absolutely right about buying quality tools at a sensibly low price.  I recently bought a Chinese made gas soldering iron which fell apart while hot after less than 10 hours work...Scary!

A small Antex bought unused from eBay and an introduction to the wonders of solder paint have opened up a whole world of modelling I couldn't attempt before.  The only problem now is finding cheap brass kits.  The only cure for that I'm afraid is patience.

attachicon.gifWalrus.JPG

This is my first attempt at a brass wagon in N gauge.  I want more!

Very nice, and in N!

Some really great looking buildings in the background there, too.

I second that.

Lovely work.

The buildings, very classy. Card or styrene?

Chris.

They're styrene as I prefer the textured surface.  I have yet to try 'bumpy card' but am tempted to try it for a cobbled quay side with inset track.

• Like 1

Been discussing some stuff with sem34090. I now have a list of some of the other locos the KLR owns, but some gaps are still open for me to improvise some stuff.

Number - name - in story description - actual model construction

1. Bulldog - Avonside industrial 0-4-0 side tank - Triang Nellie refurb
  2. Wild Rover - GER S69 4-6-0 rebuilt into an 0-6-0 - Triang LNER B12 bashed into an 0-6-0
  3. Peter - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-4-0 saddle tank - Hornby 101 / Hornby Caley Pug / some other loco bash (incomplete)
  4. Mastodon - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-6-0 side tank - Modified Hornby Dublo 0-4-0 starter tank on modified Triang Jinty chassis
  5. Geoffrey Lake - North British Locomotive Company 0-6-0 side tank - Modified Hornby Thomas on Triang Jinty chassis
  6. Wanderer - GWR 14xx 0-4-2 side tank - Airfix GWR 14xx
  7. Undecided
  8. Undecided
  9. Undecided
  10. Undecided
  11. Tom Hickathrift - Modified BR Standard 5MT 4-6-0 with GNR H4 tender - Unbuilt at time of writing
  12. Undecided
  13. Undecided
  14. Renegade - BR Class 04 0-6-0 diesel shunter - Unbuilt at time of writing
  15. Undecided
  16. Edward Bradleigh I - LNER pattern 2-6-0 new build - Unbuilt at time of writing

Any locomotives past No.16 are undecided. 

Also written out what will likely be the first of many KLR stories on the Pre-Grouper's Literary Corner thread.

• Like 4

Following up from the story and list above, here is a concept for one of the locos name-dropped in the story, No.11 Tom Hickathrift. It is, as mentioned, a BR Standard 5MT modified with parts from older LNER locomotives (mostly a V2 and a B1) and the tender from a K3. I couldn't find a side-on image of the Bachmann K3 though so I've left the tender off. The actual engine is also meant to be in KLR green and blue.

post-33750-0-89916500-1523195228_thumb.png

Working on one of No.16 Edward Bradleigh I now.

• Like 7

And the concept for Edward Bradleigh I, one of the main engines in said story. An LNER-style new-build (the model will be made from a mix of shell parts of a Bachmann K3 and a Triang B12, and possibly one of the Fowler-style tender shells from uax6 provided. This is just a basic concept so that those who read the story can get a good idea of what "Eddie" looks like.

post-33750-0-69457400-1523197509_thumb.png

• Like 6

THE KLR WORKSHOPS ARE BACK OPEN! THE CURSE OF PETER IS BROKEN!

Thanks to a tip-off I got (indescribable thanks to OliverSR for telling me about it and Rails of Sheffield for having such reasonable prices) I now have a Dapol L&Y Pug to complete our troublesome, cantankerous No.3.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yay! a wild and elusive Pug has been captured!  Well done, - and of course we shall await further developments with possibly bated breath and popcorn at the ready.

Yay! a wild and elusive Pug has been captured!  Well done, - and of course we shall await further developments with possibly bated breath and popcorn at the ready.

Good. I've also got bids on a Bachmann K3 on eBay which will be turned into No.16 Edward Bradleigh I (from my first KLR story) so keep an eye out tomorrow to see if I win that.

• Like 3

'urrah and 'ooray!

Glad to see that you got one! I need to begin hunting around Rails of Sheffield more... they have some really overpriced stuff but occasionally they have a bargain that is not to be missed.

'urrah and 'ooray!

Glad to see that you got one! I need to begin hunting around Rails of Sheffield more... they have some really overpriced stuff but occasionally they have a bargain that is not to be missed.

As should I. In amongst the rows of slightly overpriced Hornby Castles and Bachmann 4MT 2-6-4Ts you can find some real steals!

Good. I've also got bids on a Bachmann K3 on eBay which will be turned into No.16 Edward Bradleigh I (from my first KLR story) so keep an eye out tomorrow to see if I win that.

And I now have the K3. Boom. After several weeks of nothing on the loco workbench we get two for the price of one.

So, update:

3. Peter - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-4-0 saddle tank - Hornby 101 / Hornby Caley Pug / Dapol L&Y Pug bash

16. Edward Bradleigh I - LNER pattern 2-6-0 new build - Bachmann LNER K3 / Triang B12 bash

• Like 3

While I wait for my latest purchases to arrive, I shall begin work on a locomotive that I've had as an idea (inspired by this adorable creation by relaxinghobby) for a while not. Introducing the work-in-progress form of KLR No.7, Gremlin

post-33750-0-98869100-1523467040_thumb.jpg

As for what job this little 0-4-0 (the KLR's third 0-4-0 tank) will do, I'm... not sure. Alnerwick Quarry's on-site locomotive? Alnerwick station's resident shunter? A banker for the Hewe Incline? I'll cross that when I come to it.

• Like 4

The Pug has arrived.

post-33750-0-77906000-1523604487_thumb.jpg

I have it sat next to Bulldog in the photo because I still can't get over just how small it is. Now, I want to make sure I do this right. And I have no instruction sheet, plus I can't find anything online. Could someone please walk me through disassembling it? After all the effort needed to find this thing I do not want to screw this up.

• Like 3