post-17261-0-63325600-1522513540_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-63325600-1522513540_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-84355700-1522513671_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-82513100-1522513729_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-04988800-1522514034_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-12820500-1522513978_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-19968100-1522513910_thumb.jpgpost-17261-0-29623200-1522513797_thumb.jpgGood afternoon Edward.

That is the last Fullmetal Alchemist joke I'll endeavour to make!!!!

Enforced medical leave, scarey, possibly fatal diagnosis!!, means I'm doing a lot of modelling, maintenance, electrics.

In the vast collection of boxes I have accumulated over 50 years of modelling I rediscovered these gems and thought of you!

A couple of a naked Joueff 0-8-0 gear driven chassis, a beast I got off ebay primarily for a second chassis. Having taken delivery, I might well spruce it up a bit as well as altering the bunker. There are size related shots with a big Manning Wardle and a Jamieson pannier which, I think is meant to be a 1600.

A Rivarossi Bourbonais loco. 

As you can see, this beast has suffered the effects of time. 

Runs fine on Code 75 Peco.

Size comparason with an A Class.

Another old Rivarossi model of an Italian 2-8-0. 

Size against a WD.

A very old Fleischman 2-4-0 tank.

Now, this stuff, if it ever does come up is probably going to be daft pricewise, but it must be out there somewhere.

There was an article many,many years ago , in the Modeller, converting a Bourbonais to a North Eastern long boiler locomotive, similar to the one in the museum at York.

Just a thought,

I'll go and heat up last night's homemade curry for tea.

Yum.

Chris.

post-17261-0-29766200-1522513607_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

attachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164526.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164526.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164652.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164737.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_165949.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_165836.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_165712.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164902.jpgGood afternoon Edward.

Enforced medical leave, scarey, possibly fatal diagnosis!!, means I'm doing a lot of modelling, maintenance, electrics.

In the vast collection of boxes I have accumulated over 50 years of modelling I rediscovered these gems and thought of you!

A couple of a naked Joueff 0-8-0 gear driven chassis, a beast I got off ebay primarily for a second chassis. Having taken delivery, I might well spruce it up a bit as well as altering the bunker. There are size related shots with a big Manning Wardle and a Jamieson pannier which, I think is meant to be a 1600.

Size against a WD.

Now, this stuff, if it ever does come up is probably going to be daft pricewise, but it must be out there somewhere.

There was an article many,many years ago , in the Modeller, converting a Bourbonais to a North Eastern long boiler locomotive, similar to the one in the museum at York.

Just a thought,

Yum.

Chris.

Some beautiful builds there buddy. Very much my sort of locos, especially that 0-8-0T!

Very sorry to hear about the medical issues, Chris. Speaking as someone who has a few issues of his own (mostly joint-related with my legs and back) I feel for you man. I wish you a swift recovery, my friend.

• Like 3

Right. For all those that are interested on actual dates to the KLR:

The Kelsby Light Railway - A History in Brief

1898 - The KLR act is passed

1901Bulldog and its sister locomotive Pointer are commissioned by David, 2nd. Baronet Bradleigh

1903 - The KLR is opened by David Bradleigh to a rather rocky start.1905 - The GER attempts to buy out the KLR. They back off after David Bradleigh whines about it in the House of Lords

1913 - David Bradleigh dies at his desk, his sickly son Thomas becomes 3rd. Baronet Bradleigh and CEO of the KLR

1919Peter is purchased from the WNR, becoming the line's third locomotive. 

1921 - The Grouping happens. The new LNER begins a long legal battle with the Bradleigh family in an attempt to buy the KLR. 

1924 - The Bradleigh family strikes up a deal with the LNER, giving the Bradleighs effective control over the railway but the LNER has the final say on the purchase of new stock and such. Seemingly out of spite they begin to dump outdated, worn-out or damaged locomotives and stock into their hands, probably thinking it'd run the Bradleighs into the ground so they could buy the railway out from under them.

1932 - Thomas Bradleigh dies. His son Edward becomes 4th. Baronet Bradleigh and CEO of the KLR, which catches the ire of many as he is only 22 at the time. However, he soon proves himself an intelligent owner and a shrewd businessman.

1935 - The LNER dumps a worn-out B12 onto the KLR rails. It is named Wild Rover, but due to a clerical error it runs under its original GER number of 1571.

1940 - Elmtree Heath's original station is destroyed by a German bomb that was presumably intended to hit Elmtree Airfield. Pointer, which was picking up water while pulling a post train through the station at the time, is also destroyed in the explosion. Its nameplates are hung in Kelsby sheds and its number is given to Wild Rover, beginning two long-standing traditions among the KLR staff of keeping and displaying the nameplates of scrapped locomotives and reusing the numbers of said locomotives to keep the books linear.

1942Wild Rover collides with a Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T that is on trials at Berkham station. The accident requires Wild Rover to be rebuilt due to the damage, resulting in its conversion from 4-6-0 to an 0-6-0 - amusingly, using the boiler of the Hudswell Clarke to replace the unsalvageable original.

1942 - The James Donaldson scandal, where CME James Donaldson is arrested and charged with stealing locomotives from other companies over the course of about 10 years. All the stolen locomotives are returned, with the exception of a single GWR 4800 class tank engine which remains on the KLR with permission, taking on the name Wanderer and the number 6.

1946 - Elmtree Heath's new station is opened. Some ruins of the original are still visible in the grounds as the new building is notably smaller and more understated than David Bradleigh's original Neo-Gothic monstrosity.

1947 - The locomotives that would become known as Mastodon and Geoffrey Lake arrive for trials on the KLR. Edward Bradleigh's daughter Emily convinces her father to purchase the two locomotives.

1948 - Nationalisation happens. The KLR comes under partial ownership of BR.

1952 - Telham Fen becomes an RSPB reserve. Telham Fen station is abandoned.

1961 - At the KLR's 60th Anniversary celebrations, Edward Bradleigh announces, much to the chagrin of the higher ups at BR, that the KLR would, in the face of increasing diesel usage on the main line, not stop building steam locomotives and continue running an almost exclusively steam service.

1966 - The Challenge. In response to the above and after much back and forth arguing, BR flex their muscles and send a Class 04 shunting diesel to the KLR on trials, implying that it could outperform any locomotive the KLR owned without them even having to bother comparing. Edward Bradleigh used the opportunity to turn it into a media circus by taking it into a direct challenge and inviting every news outlet he could find to spectate. He then pitched the 04 against Bulldog. The press has a field day as the 51-year-old tank engine runs rings around the brand new diesel which is twice its size. BR, preoccupied with more important matters, never attempts anything like this again. The Class 04, however, remains on the KLR, eventually ending up being used as the works shunter at the KLR workshops in Berkham and the KLR's only non-steam locomotive in their entire history.

1966 - BR decide to shut down the KLR as part of the Beeching Axe; however, they back off due to massive public outcry and Edward Bradleigh, taking the example of his father and grandfather to heart, getting his buddies in the House of Lords involved. 

1967 - Due to the KLR running out of funds, Edward Bradleigh decides to close Telham Town station as, considering its grand construction, its upkeep costs too much.

1970 - English Heritage becomes involved with the funding and upkeep of the railway, a partnership that continues into the present day.

1973 - In an interesting case of things coming full circle, Emily Bradleigh, who had been so influential to the railway since the 40s, becomes CME of the KLR.

1975 - Edward Bradleigh steps down as CEO of the KLR. His son, Edward Bradleigh Jr., takes over. 

1979 - Edward Bradleigh Sr. dies suddenly from a stroke and Edward Jr. becomes 5th Baronet Bradleigh. Edward Bradleigh Sr.'s death is mourned throughout East Anglia's railway community. 

1982 - A statue of Edward Bradleigh Sr. is installed on the platform of Kelsby station, sitting in his favourite spot on the platform in his favourite bench where he would often sit and watch the trains roll in and out of the station.

1996 - Emily Bradleigh retires as CME of the KLR, ending the railways most prolific period in terms of design work.

2000 - Restoration work begins on Telham Town station, with plans to reopen the last section of the line in the near future.

2014 - Emily Bradleigh dies. 

2016 - Edward Bradleigh Jr. dies, and his son Jacob Bradleigh becomes the 6th Baronet and CEO of the KLR. 

Present day - Period modelled.

And that, in a nutshell, is the history of the KLR as a whole.

Most interesting to read, I'll say.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164526.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164526.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164652.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164737.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_165949.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_165836.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_165712.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180331_164902.jpgGood afternoon Edward.

Size against a WD.

Just a thought,

Yum.

Chris.

Some great stuff there.

I have never been able to get hold of a Bourbonais for a NE conversion, but, since you have one, would you mind stating the model's coupled wheel diameter? 

Some great stuff there.

I have never been able to get hold of a Bourbonais for a NE conversion, but, since you have one, would you mind stating the model's coupled wheel diameter? 

Coupled wheel diameter appears to be 14mm. The flanges are quite deep, but, will work fine with Peco Code 75 track.

Chris.

Don't forget she''s HO scale. My mental arithmatic isn't that good but it is somewhere near 4ft or so ?

The wheels on the Joueff are even smaller than that!!!

Incidently, that chassis has various motors. One of mine has a really smooth motor and gear drive.

The chassis of the big 0-8-0 has a different, far noisier motor. Same gear drive etc but rougher.

Don't forget she''s HO scale. My mental arithmatic isn't that good but it is somewhere near 4ft or so ?

The wheels on the Joueff are even smaller than that!!!

Incidently, that chassis has various motors. One of mine has a really smooth motor and gear drive.

The chassis of the big 0-8-0 has a different, far noisier motor. Same gear drive etc but rougher.

Ah right. Sorry, my mind works exclusively in OO as... well, that's exclusively the scale I work in.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Coupled wheel diameter appears to be 14mm. The flanges are quite deep, but, will work fine with Peco Code 75 track.

Chris.

OK, so that's 3'6" in 1/76.

It is a tad small.  If I recall, most of the Bouch Stockton & Darlington/Central Division long boiler types were either 4' or 5', but I have the means to check.  Blyth & Tyne had some too, IIRC, and then odd nooks and crannies like the Brampton Railway.  Of course other lines had them, though not for so long as the NE kept them.

Mind you, I have a scratch-built GNoSR 4-4-0 in HO.  Its drivers are a tad small, even for a mixed traffic or intermediate 4-4-0, but I will still run it as an OO loco!

post-25673-0-26400600-1522677046_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

It is a tad small.  If I recall, most of the Bouch Stockton & Darlington/Central Division long boiler types were either 4' or 5', but I have the means to check.  Blyth & Tyne had some too, IIRC, and then odd nooks and crannies like the Brampton Railway.  Of course other lines had them, though not for so long as the NE kept them.

Mind you, I have a scratch-built GNoSR 4-4-0 in HO.  Its drivers are a tad small, even for a mixed traffic or intermediate 4-4-0, but I will still run it as an OO loco!

I know it's a bit small but I still can't get over how nice that 4-4-0 looks.

That GNoSR 4-4-0 is a really sweet looking little locomotive James.  It definitely should have a place on your Castle Aching layout.  nyZaJwU.gif

Oh, she will.  She's to be WNR No.7.  I ordered Narrow Planet Neilson work plates for her, and at York this weekend I purchased Allan Gibson Salter valves, 'Yankee Tank' smoke box valves and replacement tender wheels for her.

She runs with a wonderful waddle.

I know it's a bit small but I still can't get over how nice that 4-4-0 looks.

She is a fairly crude model, but somehow exudes charm.  An impulse buy!

• Like 2

Oh, she will.  She's to be WNR No.7.  I ordered Narrow Planet Neilson work plates for her, and at York this weekend I purchased Allan Gibson Salter valves, 'Yankee Tank' smoke box valves and replacement tender wheels for her.

She runs with a wonderful waddle.

She is a fairly crude model, but somehow exudes charm.  An impulse buy!

Interesting. Trying to work out what will be my own No.7 at the moment myself. And my own Narrow Planet plates for BulldogWild RoverMastodon and Geoffrey Lake are still floating in the ether. Hopefully won't be too long. 

Also, impulse buys do sometimes get great results. Mastodon being my own example of course. Of course longtime readers of my Workbench like yourself will be aware of the Saga of Mastodon.

• Like 2

Trust you to mention the elephant in the room.

Yeah. What can I say? I'm proud of how the big black (formerly red) beast turned out. If you want the real elephant in the room, I should mention Peter, work on which has been stagnant for nearly a month because I still can't find a cheap Hornby or Dapol L&Y Pug.

Lovely little beast. Very pretty!!

Small update: painted up that little GWR 4-plank I bought up in Norwich last week into the usual generic sort of paint scheme used for KLR ones.
post-33750-0-62237500-1522682280_thumb.jpg

Decided to keep the London Bricks 6-plank as it was because I happen to like how it looks. Got to have some visually interesting ones here and there.

• Like 3

Right, for those of you who wish to keep track of what the KLR has in stock atm:

post-33750-0-85019500-1522687382_thumb.jpg

Locos, from bottom clockwise: BulldogWandererWild RoverMastodonGeoffrey Lake

post-33750-0-42242100-1522687455_thumb.jpg

Passenger stock, from bottom to top: branch line train, 3 blood and custards

post-33750-0-60359600-1522687513_thumb.jpg

Freight stock, from bottom to top, left to right: 9 open wagons of various sizes, 3 livestock vans, 1 box van, 1 brake van, breakdown crane

And that's everything I have for the KLR (complete anyway) so far. Hopefully more to come soon!

• Like 5

Right, for those of you who wish to keep track of what the KLR has in stock atm:

attachicon.gifKLR loco roll call - 2-4-18.jpg

Locos, from bottom clockwise: BulldogWandererWild RoverMastodonGeoffrey Lake

attachicon.gifKLR passenger stock check - 2-4-18.jpg

Passenger stock, from bottom to top: branch line train, 3 blood and custards

attachicon.gifKLR freight stock check - 2-4-18.jpg

Freight stock, from bottom to top, left to right: 9 open wagons of various sizes, 3 livestock vans, 1 box van, 1 brake van, breakdown crane

And that's everything I have for the KLR (complete anyway) so far. Hopefully more to come soon!

Impressive!

One point. Have you tried to do anything with the, origional? Triang blood and custards?

If not, be very carefull. The plastic gets very brittle and can do very weird things!!!!

Graham Farish Pullmans and some Kitmaster Mk1s can suffer the same thing.

My mate Mike, coachbogie, has had Farish pullmans just disappear on him as he tried to do a Torreyford on them.

Extra detail and 6 wheel American bogies. The ones on Torreyford looked damn good too.

Mike clued me in to the problem in Kitmasters. I had a brake coach fail on me last week whilst rebogying it.

Incidently, I think using shorty Triangs is a cool idea!!!

I await to see what they look like after the Alchemist treatment!

Chris.

Impressive!

One point. Have you tried to do anything with the, origional? Triang blood and custards?

If not, be very carefull. The plastic gets very brittle and can do very weird things!!!!

Graham Farish Pullmans and some Kitmaster Mk1s can suffer the same thing.

My mate Mike, coachbogie, has had Farish pullmans just disappear on him as he tried to do a Torreyford on them.

Extra detail and 6 wheel American bogies. The ones on Torreyford looked damn good too.

Mike clued me in to the problem in Kitmasters. I had a brake coach fail on me last week whilst rebogying it.

Incidently, I think using shorty Triangs is a cool idea!!!

I await to see what they look like after the Alchemist treatment!

Chris.

This is them after the Alchemist treatment. They are Triang ones. I liked the colour scheme anyway so I just painted the roofs a lighter grey (was going to have them go white but decided not to; I'd also thought of painting them from blood-and-custard into cream and emerald. Need to get a brake coach to go with them.) The suburban brake in the branch train is also Triang, as is the horsebox (which the KLR converted into a luggage van).

This is them after the Alchemist treatment. They are Triang ones. I liked the colour scheme anyway so I just painted the roofs a lighter grey (was going to have them go white but decided not to; I'd also thought of painting them from blood-and-custard into cream and emerald. Need to get a brake coach to go with them.) The suburban brake in the branch train is also Triang, as is the horsebox (which the KLR converted into a luggage van).

I thought the paint job looked good!

They are in damn good nick!

There are some old friends in the rest of your stock.

I have a suburban coach as a mess coach in a PW signalling train and two horseboxes with two tries at scale chassis.

Very old attempts and I've done nothing else with them since my layout changed to my home town of Manchester from somewhere in Gloucestershire. I was 22 years in the Down Ampney area, milking cows for the CooP.

I then had a hiatus and went back to my first love, cramped, dirty city layouts with equally cramped goods yards and industries!

I thought the paint job looked good!

They are in damn good nick!

There are some old friends in the rest of your stock.

I have a suburban coach as a mess coach in a PW signalling train and two horseboxes with two tries at scale chassis.

Very old attempts and I've done nothing else with them since my layout changed to my home town of Manchester from somewhere in Gloucestershire. I was 22 years in the Down Ampney area, milking cows for the CooP.

I then had a hiatus and went back to my first love, cramped, dirty city layouts with equally cramped goods yards and industries!

Yeah. I've had the Nellie that became Bulldog for years, ever since I was a little boy, along with the two four-wheelers on the branch train and a couple of the wagons. Mine is just a little Colonel Stephens-style light railway out in the East Anglian countryside, but in the present day - you've probably already seen the timeline I posted last page. Born and raised in Norfolk and love it too much to leave. I'd always wanted an Airfix 14xx though - glad I now have Wanderer and have fulfilled that childhood ambition. 

Need to make a test circuit. Not totally sure Bulldog works. I do fortunately have a spare motor for it that I know works, just in case. 

D*mn it sem, stop tempting me! 

Also it'd probably be more modified than that, in true KLR fashion. Wanderer is quite on its own in the case of being still of its original design, in terms of locomotives from major railways.