TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

Ah, D&S.

D&S apparently still produce kits on an occasional basis. Probably time to get in touch. I'm considering the GE section one to go with my J15 and Model Rail J70.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13126-ds-models/page-7

For those of a North Eastern persuasion I take it the Langley push/pull clerestory would be fitting.

[url=http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO___HO_Locomotive___Coach_kits_38.html]http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_OO___HO_Locomotive___Coach_kits_38.html[/url

Jason

A nice letter to Danny at D&S will yield the definitive answer; as for a general answer, he kept all the artwork and mouldings for the GER range to serve his own modelling interests. Annually he has production sessions in 7mm and 4mm according to demand. I have bought (literally) a couple of hundred of his kits over recent years, with batches of about 20 or so of a single wagon, as well as etched coaches, so he is certainly out there making up kits. The thing is to write with a list and ‘get in the queue’ as demand is still strong. Only if he demurs by virtue of a damaged mould or lost artwork should you be conned into eBay prices!

Best of luck!

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

"Interesting looking carriages used on the Saffron Walden line. Any kits available?"

Not sure these days - the lamented D&S range would have been the choice, but they're like hens teeth on Ebay these days. I was thinking an NER brake third would nice alongside a couple of Hornby LNER offerings.

Ralph

Lambton 58

A duplicate reply, but relevant nevertheless:

A nice letter to Danny at D&S will yield the definitive answer; as for a general answer, he kept all the artwork and mouldings for the GER range to serve his own modelling interests. Annually he has production sessions in 7mm and 4mm according to demand. I have bought (literally) a couple of hundred of his kits over recent years, with batches of about 20 or so of a single wagon, as well as etched coaches, so he is certainly out there making up kits. The thing is to write with a list and ‘get in the queue’ as demand is still strong. Only if he demurs by virtue of a damaged mould or lost artwork should you be conned into eBay prices!

Best of luck!

Marcus

Edited by EHertsGER

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

TMC are showing June 2020 as a release date on their site. I'll be 75 then so I hope I last long enough to get one!

Snap. If it arrives a month later in July 2020 wonder who I can con into getting one for me for that "special" birthday present?

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

I was slow to spot this but it's a very welcome development indeed. 

Has any thought been given to ease/difficulty with which these can be converted to EM or P4?

Probably not by the commissioner or manufacturer. I imagine that the 00  modelling sector will provide sufficient sales opportunity without having to consider making allowances for EM or P4 requirements.

Ah good. That gives me plenty of time to finish the D&S NER 6-wheelers I started in 1988.

And the NER 4-wheelers I'll be scratch-building!  I have pre-ordered the pre-Grouping O Class version, which, I expect, can be gently back-dated with minimal fuss to around the turn of the Century.

TMC/Bachmann are to be congratulated on choosing this prototype and for providing a pre-Grouping in-service version. Even though I could have made do with an A and a BTP, I will be delighted to have an O and extremely happy to be able to reward this decision with a sale.

Pre-Grouping pedantry, purchase, not sale, surely? (Yes, I know, don’t call me ——)

Fair enough, though I meant that TMC gained a sale for having produced an 'in-service' pre-Grouping version, not that I had rewarded myself with a purchase.

At present, though, it's a pre-order, so neither! 

• 4 weeks later...

Another handy book to look at by Ken Hoole is NER locomotive sheds, I used to have a copy. It doesn't list every individual locomotive especially where they are swapped for works visits etc. Just says even for small one locomotive sized sheds that the motive power was....

A problem I have is my modelling location in West Yorkshire means that this NER 0-4-4T the Midland and Lanky radial all operate into the area!

• RMweb Premium

A problem I have is my modelling location in West Yorkshire means that this NER 0-4-4T the Midland and Lanky radial all operate into the area!

Problem? Bliss! Swinton-ish? All you need now is a RTR Hull & Barnsley loco...

• Like 1

Leeds had the following companies so you can understand why I keep finding makers doing nice locomotives:-

North Eastern

Midland

Great Central

Great Northern

London and North Western

Lancashire and Yorkshire

Hull and Barnsley would have done so if the East and West Yorkshire Union Railway had built it's line to Drax.

Not counting the many nice Leeds built industrial locomotives.

Back OT I'm tempted by the attractive North Eastern green but I must have a thin down of the collection.

• RMweb Premium

Leeds had the following companies so you can understand why I keep finding makers doing nice locomotives:-

North Eastern

Midland

Great Central

Great Northern

London and North Western

Lancashire and Yorkshire

Hull and Barnsley would have done so if the East and West Yorkshire Union Railway had built it's line to Drax.

Not counting the many nice Leeds built industrial locomotives.

Back OT I'm tempted by the attractive North Eastern green but I must have a thin down of the collection.

The Hull & Barnsley exercised running powers over the L&Y and Midland into Leeds Wellington - regular theatre &c excursions - and also sent football* specials to many West Riding destinations.

*Rugby league, that is.

In a world where, so far at least, any tooling has to pay its way by selling to BR modellers, I very much doubt that Bachmann/TMP are planning the O with a future BTP (G6) in mind.

No doubt an idle thought, then, but it strikes me that, although I understand that wheel diameters and wheelbase varied across the BTPs, the various NER diagram book drawings are all a match for the O Class, IIRC.

My assumption is that, in common with much RTR, the 'gubbins' that will make the O Class go will expand to fill the side tanks available, and, so it wouldn't fit a well tank unless designed with that it mind.

A pity. I will buy an O, but given a choice I'd buy 3 BTPs for every O.

But that's just me!

Great news for North Eastern fans. Hapoy to take credit for this announcement as recently taken delivery of my Dad’s Old Nu Cast kit for the G5 and bought a chassis to build under it, the former having sat in a drawer for 30+ years so Dad’s layout based on Harrogate can have the Pateley Bridge Branch Loco, 67253 appear.

Now to build the kit, or renumber one of the TMC ones, that is the question...?!!

Andrew

I really dont know how iv missed this! Iv already got 67253 for my Harrogate/Bilton junction layout from a Dave Alexander kit but im sure i can squeeze another one on once these come out! Excellent news

Andrew, id love to see some pics of your dads layout if you have any?

Cheers

James

• 1 month later...

This is such fantastic news for North Eastern modellers right through to the '50s. A workhorse of a class that covered the entire region (and beyond) over a long timeframe. I have always had a big softspot for the G5 and think them to be wonderfully proportion and stylish (although I know some disagree). I am sure this will be a highly successful product and TMC are to be applauded for pushing it forward.

I was slow to spot this but it's a very welcome development indeed. 

Has any thought been given to ease/difficulty with which these can be converted to EM or P4?

There is a chassis kit available from 52F models.  There is also a complete kit from London Road Models, and while a chassis only etch isnt listed I have found John willing to sell individual etches so it depends how the body/chassis breakdown works for the kit as to what is available on each etch.

• RMweb Premium

I saw this, and I thought of Compound of this Parish.

A bit of inspiration to be going along with .....

Hummm... The chances of me finally sorting out my Ratio 1400 Class 2-4-0 before RTR NER clerestories appear along with the TMC Class O?

• Like 1

On the issue of pre order I am at the pre order stage. I have yet to place an order for this. The only item I have moved from my pre order state is for the Dynamomoter car where I have placed an order.

Hello! Irritated by the term “pre-order”? I sympathise. “Pre-order” means something different from what it means, if you see what I mean. Is there another concise term to distinguish an order for something not yet in stock from something which is in stock?

Whilst we’re enjoying a nice little grumble; why do some retailers’ websites show “out of stock” for items which are not yet in stock?

• RMweb Premium

Whilst we’re enjoying a nice little grumble; why do some retailers’ websites show “out of stock” for items which are not yet in stock?

Perhaps there needs to be a standardised set of terminology running from "Twinkle in X's eye" through to "Yah boo sucks, you've missed it".

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1