TMC announce NER G5 0-4-4T

Andy Y

I find I was conflating two photographs. The Belpaire at Hawes Junction is in W.R. Mitchell and D. Joy, Settle to Carlisle: A Railway over the Pennines (Dalesman Books, 1982). From the make-up of the southbound Scotch express behind it, the date is c. 1902 - c. 1905. There is a train of NER 6-wheeled carriages at the branch platform - a brake third and full third are visible - but no engine. The other photo is in C.S. Hallas, The Wensleydale Railway (Dalesman Books, 1984) and must be of later date. This was taken between Redmire and Aysgarth, with Bolton Castle in the background. The engine is an A rather than an O, pulling a set of  bogie non-corridor clerestories - I think a luggage composite between two brake thirds. There's an elliptical-roofed 6-wheeled vehicle at the tail - a full brake or other NPCS? I'm not well-up on NER carriages but presumably that provides a terminus post quem. As far as I can make out, the A's tank front does not carry the white-black-white lining panel. (To be clear on this point about lined tank fronts, it's the presence or absence of this panel that has been discussed - the white/black edging to the panel top and bottom (query? inside edge) seems to be always present - the photo of a Class A here illustrates the fully-lined tank front.)

Other North Eastern period photos in the Hallas book feature BTPs - No. 588 on the first train at Leyburn - so in Fletcher condition, with a train of five 4-wheelers, birdcage brake thirds at either end and a couple of three-compartment carriages - firsts? - and a centre-luggage carriage - a composite? The other is No. 207 at Redmire, c. 1920, with several barrow-loads of milk churns being loaded. The only photo of an O is at Hawes c. 1950 - a G5 we can now call it. But I think there are plenty of other photos of G5s on the Wensleydale line in the 1950s. Class A (F8) had, I read, all gone by 1938.

Please excuse my compulsive completism.

The picture of the A is interesting.  Given what the Record has to say about the introduction on the Os of lining to tank sides without extending up to the cab side sheet, the picture argues for this A to have been repainted to W Worsdell livery sometime after the introduction of the Os, which given the chronology makes perfect sense.

The front tank lining to the A seems consistent with the description in the Record.  

I checked today, and there's no lining on the tank fronts of my A (though there should be!)

Magnificent. I was only thinking earlier this week that a G5 is a model that is long overdue, and will be so perfect for all of us who model the NER/LNER/BR. Between Beverley and Hull, a most intensive service was operated by the LNER with mainly Sentinel steam rail cars. Once they had been withdrawn, it went over to Push Pull and G5’s. With carriages I already have, I’ll be able to replicate that service perfectly! And, of course, many other lines radiating out of Hull, including the former Hull and Barnsley line, had many local passenger services formed of ex NER/Gresley/Thompson non corridor carriages, hauled by a G5.

So I’m just so pleased. Such a big gap is filled, and I’ll be pre ordering at least three of them, maybe more. ;). And one can be made into the engine which had the extra long water tanks - I have a couple of pictures of it at both Hull and Beverley.

Thank you, TMC/Bachmann.

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob, Do you know the numbers of the G5s that ran between Hull and Beverley in the 1930s. Regards, Laurie.

Hi Rob, Do you know the numbers of the G5s that ran between Hull and Beverley in the 1930s. Regards, Laurie.

I cannot help you with the 30's but according to my Ian Allan 1948-50 spotters book the following G5's were allocated to Botanic Gardens shed, Hull, 53B.

67254/6/80/2, 67301/11/21/40. 

I hope this helps.

Yeadon's Register vol 38 has all you need. I had a quick look earlier and it seems they moved around a lot, most locos being at Hull for about 2 years only and being transferred elsewhere, so you really need to specify a specific time period, but if you can't find a copy and get stuck, PM me with the dates you want and I'll trawl through mine and send you the info you need. 

Without wishing to be rude, especially after the help earlier, but: how does one ‘ignore’ this topic?

Once ‘in’ there seems to be no way out!

All this northern talk is going right over my head, I’m afraid.

For those interested, No. 1882 has arrived on my coarse-scale 0 gauge layout, looking beatifully black and shiny, and is in traffic. You can see it if you follow the link below my signature.

Kevin

Without wishing to be rude, especially after the help earlier, but: how does one ‘ignore’ this topic?

Once ‘in’ there seems to be no way out!

All this northern talk is going right over my head, I’m afraid.

For those interested, No. 1882 has arrived on my coarse-scale 0 gauge layout, looking beatifully black and shiny, and is in traffic. You can see it if you follow the link below my signature.

Kevin

The old North Eastern would be the scratch-builder's paradise.  What with all the different locomotive design traditions and Locomotive Works resulting from the amalgamations, and a good deal of inveterate tinkering with what was already a bewildering variety of ancient types, Ahrons claimed that no two engines were alike.  TW and W Worsdell's designs have a feeling of modernity in comparison. 

Interesting return to Fletcher, though, in the O Class.  Fletcher gave us the wonderful BTP 0-4-4T, but TW preferred the 2-4-2T, with W returning us to the 0-4-4T.   

Kevin, you will get sucked in, the NER is such a treasure trove for the modeller.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

You, Sir, are guilty of much: I’ve started to understand how weird and wonderful early ECR/GER things were, and yesterday I was looking at pictures of ‘Aerolite’.

The trouble is, nearly every railway was interesting, and, save possibly for the GWR, none have really been excavated properly.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The old North Eastern would be the scratch-builder's paradise. What with all the different locomotive design traditions and Locomotive Works resulting from the amalgamations, and a good deal of inveterate tinkering with what was already a bewildering variety of ancient types, Ahrons claimed that no two engines were alike. TW and W Worsdell's designs have a feeling of modernity in comparison.

Interesting return to Fletcher, though, in the O Class. Fletcher gave us the wonderful BTP 0-4-0T, but TW preferred the 2-4-2T, with W returning us to the 0-4-4T.

Kevin, you will get sucked in, the NER is such a treasure trove for the modeller.

Any fule kno BTP’s are 0-4-4T. Sined Frends of the G6.post-26540-0-32970400-1520245229_thumb.jpeg Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The trouble is, nearly every railway was interesting, and, save possibly for the GWR, none have really been excavated properly.

As a Midland modeller, with vast published resources to hand courtesy of members of the LMS Society and Midland Railway Society, backed up by the primary archive material held by the Midland Railway Study Centre, I'm sometimes shocked by how little material there seems to be on the Great Western prior to c. 1900.

The situation is almost as good for a number of other companies that have active line societies: the LNWR, L&Y, Caledonian and Great Northern and indeed North Eastern. I'm sure entusiasts for other lines will be quick to point to the material available to support their interests.

As a Midland modeller, with vast published resources to hand courtesy of members of the LMS Society and Midland Railway Society, backed up by the primary archive material held by the Midland Railway Study Centre, I'm sometimes shocked by how little material there seems to be on the Great Western prior to c. 1900.

The situation is almost as good for a number of other companies that have active line societies: the LNWR, L&Y, Caledonian and Great Northern and indeed North Eastern. I'm sure entusiasts for other lines will be quick to point to the material available to support their interests.

This is because certain Grandees of the Midland/LMS persuasion complained vocally for years that everything was about the Great Western, thus making it all about the Midland!

With many railways, go further earlier than the 1910s and info can be surprisingly patchy. In the case of the GW, before 1904, we can't even be sure what colour they were painting their wagons!  On another topic it has been pointed out that the photographic record for railways generally falls off a cliff before the 1890s. 

But, being serious, perhaps the popular interest in the GW started with the 1930s due to generational nostalgia, and then went on to WR.  Perhaps pre-Grouping GW has not traditionally been much better supported than any other company in pre-grouping years?

• RMweb Premium

This is because certain Grandees of the Midland/LMS persuasion complained vocally for years that everything was about the Great Western, thus making it all about the Midland!

They didn't just complain: they did the necessary leg-work to change the culture. 

They didn't just complain: they did the necessary leg-work to change the culture. 

Oh but some did!

I have seen some incredibly forthright letters in old magazines on this very subject that wouldn't be published now, or would start a flame war if posted online. They certainly didn't stop at promoting their interests ...!

Every other Grandee gets an obit saying, 'he didn't suffer fools gladly'.  However great a contribution these guys made, some of them were evidently very grumpy b8ggers by the standards of what is socially acceptable today!

Edited by Edwardian

OT, but don’t underestimate the value of a good PR department. The GWR begun to get good at it in the 1900s, so history is now kind t9 them, because they wrote it, in a sense. The Met was very good at it, the SR brilliant, and LPTB ditto. By the 1930s, the American lessons had been learned. Noticeably not such an effective strategy for freight railways, though.

• Like 2

Precisely!

It takes a good PR department to dream-up an icon that remains recognisable, and still conveys the intended message, eighty years down the road, seventy years after the company it promoted ceased to exist.

The naming of the KAs, the naming of the ACE, summer comes soonest in the south. The list of their hits is a long one.

• Like 1

Yeadon's Register vol 38 has all you need. I had a quick look earlier and it seems they moved around a lot, most locos being at Hull for about 2 years only and being transferred elsewhere, so you really need to specify a specific time period, but if you can't find a copy and get stuck, PM me with the dates you want and I'll trawl through mine and send you the info you need. 

Thanks to all for your help with G5 numbers around Hull (late 30s- early 40s). I found the loco numbers I was looking for in a great book, More Railways of Hull by W.B.Yeadon. Regards Laurie

Well I’ve ordered 67342, she was a regular on the Wensleydale Branch in the early 1950’s and if the hopper top to the bunker is removable, then I’ll be able to convert others into variants that worked the branch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Possibly manifesting itself as my ignorance more than anything, but casting an eye over this G5 does bring to mind the G4 - the ex GER S44 of ‘similar’ appearance. So, to those more knowledgaebale than I, to what exetent can those of an East Anglian persuasion get away with painting a G5 a nice shade of blue...?