#26 WIMorrison

WIMorrison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Locationnr Alton, Hants

Posted 16 April 2018 - 18:20

​Keith

​A better solution - that would not have helped in your position though :( - when you need more than fluidity across a subnet is to use a Class B private address range which goes from 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 and subnet of 255.240.0.0 giving you just over 1 million hosts, or even freer rein is use a Class A private address range which is 10.0.0.0 with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 giving you millions of hosts - this is the range normally used corporately.  For completeness Class C is 192.168.0.0 through to 192.168.255.255 with a mask of 255.255.0.0 giving 65k addresses.

​It is very important that only these address ranges are used because they are 'unroutable' over the internet and they cannot 'escape' the edge into the public domain - this is important to ensure that we can have addresses to identify kit at home (and in the office) but still leave addresses for IP traffic (we have actually ran out, hence a new system called IPv6 which is now being used)

​It is a very complex subject, suffice to say that there are very good reasons why the 192.168.x.x is used for consumer equipment and most manufacturers are clever and either use DHCP (preferred solution) although some use 'smart ip' static addresses (which are similar to DHCP - ish).

Unfortunately I think that some people and companies try to make things difficult by using static addresses Lenz, Roco and Digikeijs being good examples in our world and none of them providing decent instructions to help the consumer who then have to fall back on what they find online, and that isn't always the best of advice - I cannot count the number of home networks I have had to rescue due to very poor advice having been given down the pub by the local 'expert' :(

but yiu are sorted and hopefully a few have learned a bit to help themselves along the way :) 

• Agree x 1

#27 melmerby

melmerby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,430 posts
  • LocationWorcesterhire

Posted 19 May 2018 - 13:19

Hi again

I have a question about the way I have the items connected. (see my previous post #18 with the schematic.)

Why is it that if the LAN connection from the incoming router (Plusnet) is off none of the items connected to the LAN hub (Edimax) in the railway room will work?

I normally have it on so I get internet connection in the railway room but if it is switched off nothing else works!

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby, 19 May 2018 - 13:21 .

#28 WIMorrison

WIMorrison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 14:06

You need the home router switched on because it does the routing (clue is in the name) - it receives all the network traffic and decides whether to pass it through to the internet or send it back internally to the correct device (in simplistic terms ;))
  • Agree x 2

#29 melmerby

melmerby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,430 posts
  • LocationWorcesterhire

Posted 19 May 2018 - 14:24

You need the home router switched on because it does the routing (clue is in the name) - it receives all the network traffic and decides whether to pass it through to the internet or send it back internally to the correct device (in simplistic terms ;))

Does that mean if you haven't got an incoming router you can't distribute LAN around your devices with the extra hub at all?

Keith

EDIT this is what is in the railway room:

https://www.edimax.c...0/br-6228ns_v2/

Edited by melmerby, 19 May 2018 - 14:28 .

#30 WIMorrison

WIMorrison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 15:24

Nope, just that will go back to your defaul gateway - in this case your address incoming router - to find out how to get around

You can make isolated LANs at home but I seriously advice you against it
  • Agree x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#31 melmerby

melmerby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,430 posts
  • LocationWorcesterhire

Posted 19 May 2018 - 15:32

Nope, just that will go back to your defaul gateway - in this case your address incoming router - to find out how to get around

You can make isolated LANs at home but I seriously advice you against it

I'll stick with how itis then!

Cheers

Keith

#32 WIMorrison

WIMorrison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 15:37

Good decision ;)