D200/40122

hoovered

• RMweb Gold

OT I know but here's a little story with D200. When my dad was working at Crewe during his railway career, this was one of his colleague's favourite loco which he monitored using TOPS. Apparently this man booked a week off work to travel behind 'his' class 40, but D200 was out of action all that week!

Hmm he’d not like me then, I got a cab ride on D200 from Preston to Bolton on a railtour when I was 7 years old, courtesy of my father. Last winter I thought I would pass the favour along the generation on a little further by getting my 7 year old daughter in the cab of 40106 at Bury.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

A disc head code 40 in Green with Yellow ends would be nice.

post-16151-0-38375300-1528207693_thumb.jpg

Like this you mean?

(Aug. 1983 on its then regular 10:40 working over S&C. I'd been on a bit of a bike ride, hence the velocipede in shot)

• Like 3

Ah that's rotten! Knew your dad was at Beattock Liam where else did he work?

Not in this order, but these locations:

Holyhead (briefly after leaving school)

Doncaster

Llandudno Junction

Crewe

Reading

Gloucester

Derby

Swindon (but not for very long I don't think)

Am really struggling to remember the name of 'Mr Class 40'...

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I remember when I used to be heartily sick of D200 as every time I travelled from Carlisle to Leeds it was D200 on the front, I preferred the Hull - Carlisle train which was hauled by double headed 31's at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm he’d not like me then, I got a cab ride on D200 from Preston to Bolton on a railtour when I was 7 years old, courtesy of my father. Last winter I thought I would pass the favour along the generation on a little further by getting my 7 year old daughter in the cab of 40106 at Bury.

He’d properly despise me then, I had a cab ride in her from Plymouth to Penzance, thereby being the first 40 basher to arrive in PZ on a 40 by roughly 70 feet!

Edited by aureol40012
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't a big fan of the 40s, but whilst doing a week rover in the midlands, D200 was on a Crewe to Stoke working every night - few parcels and a Mk1 BSO IIRC. Start of the week there was me and one other basher, by the end of the week standing room only!

Not really my thing, but a decent model of D200 would probably se me part with some cash for sentiments sake if nothing else.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2