Common road vehicles in 1984 - cars and commercial

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#151 RANGERS

RANGERS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationThe Welland Valley, well almost!

Posted 02 July 2018 - 17:48

The Ital van I got had a metal mesh behind the front seats seperating the cargo area. This was where my 1980's Phillips Twin Tape Deck stereo was strapped to (even found a pic of the one I had)- no car radio fitted as standard so had to improvise!!! Cost me a fortune in batteries - If I was a bit more savvy back then, I could have saved up enough to buy an old radio and fitted it, but I was more interested in girls, fags and beer!!

I was a scout leader at the time, and the van was excellent for lugging all the old army tents and camping gear!

Ahhhh, I can still remember smelling of old campfires for days afterwards!!!!!

That arrangement was standard for thousands of BT engineers across the country, me included, usually fixed to the “dog guard” with as many zip straps as it took to hold your chosen music box. My time with the Ital was long lived (too bloody long!), 1984 when it arrived with 69 miles in the clock until May 1990 when it was finally pensioned off in favour of a Maestro (such luxury!) in a very fetching shade of navy blue.

The Ital was unimpressive, in common with the. Bedford HA it replaced, it was slow, noisy and only half the fun the Bedford had been to drive. The handling wasn’t good, harsh ride which accentuated the lack of sound deadening and was extremely tiring over any distance (a great excuse for regular respite stops in cafes!)

I’ve never looked to see if it’s still around but I suspect it (A690 XOX I think it was) went for razor blades by the early 90s.
  • Like x 2
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1

#152 ianmacc

ianmacc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 18:52

[quote name="ianmacc" post="3212983" timestamp="1530046204"]Just thought I would put my money where my mouth is and take a punt with one of these. Had to pay a fair bit to order one on eBay. I’ll post photos when it arrives from the Far East. Will take a few weeks to arrive I reckon. A 1970s HiAce minibus. Makes a change from the usual Pxfords![/quote]
Haven’t got the Toyota HiAce yet but just ordered three more tomytecs from online. A Toyota Crown 1971-74 MY. I remember these; really unusual-looking in the flesh. Also a couple of 1980s Datsun Skylines.
Hopefully 1:80 won’t be too noticeable for 00. Got to be worth a shot for the opportunity to deviate from the usual choices.
Edited to show a real Toyota Crown barn find. Almost nil left in the UK now[/quote]

So the trio of cars arrived today from Russia. Thankfully beating our national team home!

The Oxford Zephyr is one of their larger cars so is used as a good comparison with the 1:80 scale Toyota Crown -themselves a decent sized car in the flesh.

What is interesting is how the relative position of the two vehicles with each other has such a big impact on how big or small they appear...

Attached Thumbnails

• 02340CB7-DB52-47DB-9349-7D218DF65B96.jpeg
  • DD693011-C6A6-41F0-B6B8-9852BB277AF6.jpeg
  • 0DA772DD-A903-4A61-B377-4E311F4EB2B6.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc, 03 July 2018 - 18:54 .

• Like x 4
  • Agree x 2

#153 divibandit

divibandit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 13:19

This is great! 

Working with the public has it's problems, though.

The bit about the person the Traffic Warden likes to hate made me laugh out loud!

Steve

Videos are useful, like this one

• Thanks x 1
  • Like x 1

#154 doilum

doilum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 16:45

Lets hear it for the traffic wardens.
When my spitfire's front suspension collapsed on double yellow lines in the centre of town, boxing day 1978, far from booking me, she called the recovery firm with the police contract and gave them 10 minutes to find a sober driver or else!!
  • Like x 4

#155 devondynosoar118

devondynosoar118

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • LocationSouth Devon

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:38

Our proper traffic warden was great, she kept her focus on ticketing yellow lines on main roads and used her discretion on the residential areas slapped with 2hr max stay bays.
Bloody “Council Tax Subsidy Collectors” we have now are a pain in the arse, when my Morris broke down blocking a side street I pushed it onto a bit with single yellows, put a note in the window and went off to find parts. I returned to find it had been given a ticket. Time allowed for recovery vehicle or repair, from when it was “observed” to ticket issue was 8 mins. I have never seen an AA man arrive that fast and even on my best day it takes me that little big to get the toolbox out the boot, open the bonnet and start looking, never mind fixing anything.
The ticket was appealed and quashed, but only because a friendly garage gave me a towing invoice, I had to prove I had bought parts, which was tricky since the points and condenser used to fix it came from old stock in my shed and you can’t buy them in any shop in town even if you wanted to!
I would love to see a manufacturer do a “British Bangers” range, with flat looking paint, accident damage or parts from scrapyards that don’t match etc put on already. Such scruffy sheds were an essential part of most eras and existing 60’s/70’s products could be used as a basis.
  • Like x 1

#156 PatB

PatB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:47

Lets hear it for the traffic wardens.
When my spitfire's front suspension collapsed on double yellow lines in the centre of town, boxing day 1978, far from booking me, she called the recovery firm with the police contract and gave them 10 minutes to find a sober driver or else!!

You'd been using grease on the trunnions rather than EP90 hadn't you ;).

• Like x 2

#157 SRman

SRman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:59

I would love to see a manufacturer do a “British Bangers” range, with flat looking paint, accident damage or parts from scrapyards that don’t match etc put on already. Such scruffy sheds were an essential part of most eras and existing 60’s/70’s products could be used as a basis.

Lledo Vanguards did do something like that with their 1:43 range at one time. They are now a part of Corgi's ranges.

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1

#158 doilum

doilum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 15:09

You'd been using grease on the trunnions rather than EP90 hadn't you ;).

pp

My first four wheel vehicle, and only a month on the road. Cost a fair bit at a main dealer to fix. By the time I sold it 15 months later, I had swapped engines 3 times, painted it twice and fitted a fibreglass bonnet. That's proper skill progression.
And found time to build my first exhibition layout, buy first house and get married.
Happy days.
  • Like x 3