Engines

Hopefully it whistles a lot.

It has to be something in use that works, which knocks out 80% of preserved steam locos right away. And something people want, not covered else where with recent tooling....

Now it could also be a modern image thing. Practically diesel classes still in existence are covered by modern tooling. Of course there is nothing to stop them doing an ultimate model if the other tooling is thought to be lacking (always a bit subjective... and a bit risky.... but not impossible as the SLW class 24 shows).

An AC loco is possible, a few classes running around with no modern tooling or with a badly designed tools. Class 91 is definitely screaming with class 86 just behind (an 89 could be good too but I don't think she is operational right now). Still plenty of 92s but this is covered elsewhere even if Accurascale would easily be first to the post getting it out and of unbeatable quality.

Then we have DMUs and EMUs, here the list very lonnnnnnnnngggggggggg.......

Of course a class 91 leads you to further dark ideas since an all new 91 needs an all new rake of Mk4s which needs and all new mk 4 DVT....... lots of expense!

The post was for sound only, no hints of a laser scanner in sight whch suggests a shape easy to measure and design - so makes steam more probable but obviously this does not exclude scanning nor a loco of complex shape being chosen.

Edited by JSpencer

It has to be something in use that works, which knocks out 80% of preserved steam locos right away. And something people want, not covered else where with recent tooling....

Now it could also be a modern image thing. Practically diesel classes still in existence are covered by modern tooling. Of course there is nothing to stop them doing an ultimate model if the other tooling is thought to be lacking (always a bit subjective... and a bit risky.... but not impossible as the SLW class 24 shows).

An AC loco is possible, a few classes running around with no modern tooling or with a badly designed tools. Class 91 is definitely screaming with class 86 just behind (an 89 could be good too but I don't think she is operational right now). Still plenty of 92s but this is covered elsewhere even if Accurascale would easily be first to the post getting it out and of unbeatable quality.

Then we have DMUs and EMUs, here the list very lonnnnnnnnngggggggggg.......

Of course a class 91 leads you to further dark ideas since an all new 91 needs an all new rake of Mk4s which needs and all new mk 4 DVT....... lots of expense!

The post was for sound only, no hints of a laser scanner in sight whch suggests a shape easy to measure and design - so makes steam more probable but obviously this does not exclude scanning nor a loco of complex shape being chosen.

The sort of whistle I was thinking of comes from an English electric 16 cylinder diesel engine

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What’s wrong with the Bachmann 40 ?

I love the 40’s and wish Bachmann would bring out more, but the ones they have, seemed to be around for a while.

There’s not many liveries you can do with a 40... Blue, green, and green with differing amounts of yellow ends.

I saw the MRC ppt the other week, so i’m Sticking with my own guesses on what it is... it’s the De Glenn loco & Paget for sure.

Edited by adb968008

I looked very closely at the picture to see if there was any reflection on the subject. There was a reflection but it looked like a vague silhouette of what remains of the Morandi bridge. There is also a roll of  almost fully used duck tape. The conclusion of this close examination of it being recorded duck tape sounds securing a bridge seems unlikely.

What’s wrong with the Bachmann 40 ?

Well the bogie spring detail is too low relief, bogie side pipes are missing as are various small struts between bogie and body, roof fan is poor, cab windows could be better (think Shaw plan etch), cab interior very basic, headcode discs are crude, so are cab footsteps, chassis and circuit board leave no room for decent speaker. Basically bachmanns model is good but can be improved on in lots of areas. Think SLW spec for a 40, and it suddenly becomes a very attractive must have loco.

• RMweb Gold

I looked very closely at the picture to see if there was any reflection on the subject. There was a reflection but it looked like a vague silhouette of what remains of the Morandi bridge. There is also a roll of almost fully used duck tape. The conclusion of this close examination of it being recorded duck tape sounds securing a bridge seems unlikely.

The only thing I took from that picture, was it wasn’t a steam shed, if it were the stones are usually 100% ash scattered from the fires of locos, not a mix of all kinds of rubbish.

The shadow in the picture, looks like a raised JCB bucket, for some reason i think Barrow Hill ?.. perhaps it’s the Badger after all ? :-)

Edited by adb968008

The only thing I took from that picture, was it wasn’t a steam shed, if it were the stones are usually 100% ash scattered from the fires of locos, not a mix of all kinds of rubbish.

The engine may not have been in the shed when it was recorded. If it was diesel, it would need to repeat something else out there except a DMU.

A new 55 with correct bogie heights? Or a new class 20 with lights?

The latter would fit well with their wagons.

Edited by JSpencer

Think SLW spec for a 40, and it suddenly becomes a very attractive must have loco.

But a class 40 is getting on for twice as long and twice as many wheels as an SLW 24. The cost would presumably be significantly higher than an SLW 24 so would it really achieve significant sales ?

I am perfectly happy with my Bachmann 40s, one of which has a Biffo reblow in it - probably the best commercially available.

Thanks but no thanks.  I am sure Accurascale will tell us in due course.  

Edited by Covkid

But a class 40 is getting on for twice as long and twice as many wheels as an SLW 24. The cost would presumably be significantly higher than an SLW 24 so would it really achieve significant sales ?

I am perfectly happy with my Bachmann 40s, one of which has a Biffo reblow in it - probably the best commercially available.

Thanks but no thanks.  I am sure Accurascale will tell us in due course.  

When the latest 40 tooling came out, I was in a shop just shortly after and there were other people in the shop (I guess tourists) who could not understand why how this big diesel with 16 wheels was cheaper than the "short version" (Heljan class 23) with only 8. The prices have changed a bit since then.

My 40 has south west digital sound, was my 3rd sound fitted loco brough just after the first run (of the latest tooling) came out and has been a stunner since. Personally I'm not ready to replace it yet.

Edited by JSpencer

...A new 55 with correct bogie heights? ...

How much i would like a superior EE type 5 model. But it needs a brave manufacturer willing to embrace reality and let the customers know that they have one of two choices. Run it on curves of 30"+ radius for the combination of accurate body shape and scale diameter wheels in bogies with a scale gap between top of bogie frame and lower edge of bodywork. If you insist on running it on set track, then two spacers have to be introduced to lift the bodywork clear of the wheel tops. (Practical implementation, sell with spacers in place, with instructions on the 'how to' of spacer removal if layout curvature permits.)

And of the twin bogie mechanism designs currently on sale from Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby (Dapol, Kernow and SLW not yet inspected because none have made an appropriate subject for my interest) it is Bachmann's that is simplest to modify to drop the body to a scale gap above the bogies frame tops Their EE type 5 looks so much better this way. But it does require 30" minimum radius, and this is unavoidable unless other incorrect scale/appearance horrors are to be perpetrated on the model. (See Heljan DP2 for the ugly shape of one compromise solution.)

...could not understand why how this big diesel with 16 wheels was cheaper than the "short version" (Heljan class 23) with only 8. The prices have changed a bit since then...

Whoever they were, not appreciating that a short lived class of ten (however handsome) might be differently priced from a class of 200 (stupendously ugly) locos that put in thirty years service or thereabouts, has to be at the root of it?

A 55 would seem an odd choice but the class 20? Bachmann's I think physically has little wrong, however it never carried lights. Still any diesel that duplicates another modern (post 2005) tooling is a bit of a risk. The 24 seems to have worked to an extent, though maybe not enough to inspire doing other classes (I half thought a 33 would follow on a year or 2 later given the published weaknesses at the time of the last Heljan offering by one certain magazine).

Accurascale is going to surprise us for sure and they don't grab real estate for the sake of it. Once its announced, the wait will be short - very short - compared to any make except possibly Hattons.

Edited by JSpencer

A class 11 shunter (08 predecessor) would be ideal to go with HUOs and Covhops and is possibly the largest class of diesels never available in RTR. Spread across the Midland and Eastern regions during the 50s and 60s and with wheel dimensions that could suit some of the prototypes.

• Like 2

I wonder if a 31 is low hanging fruit now.

Or of course there are the Peaks: three classes with subtle differences and a massive hole that is the sealed beam front version which sells way above its true value on EBay.

Edited by woodenhead

Ah yes, I keep forgetting the many shunting classes yet to be covered. A good entry point for Accurscale for sure.

Class 11 in WD for me if that is the case.

Class 12 SR version even better for me, but none are operational to record sounds.

Class 13...........

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...