Posted Image

The 2018 OO Wishlist is now live - please read the Guide pages here before voting.

Photo

The Calder Vale Mineral Railway

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 Ruston

Ruston

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • LocationWest Riding

Posted 11 October 2018 - 22:07

It's the outside valve gear that's going to give me nightmares. :o  Anyway, it's going in the stash of kits to be built once I have got the layout itself done. The stash is growing and now includes a pair of 1850s NBR coaches and a pair of 1880s NER coaches. On the wagon stock front I have been given a couple kits for L&Y half box wagons, which will be used for traffic from the pipe works. One thing I need is a suitably old former mainline railway cast off brake van and an L&Y 'tin tab' brake van. Does anyone know of a kit for the latter?

Edited by Ruston, 11 October 2018 - 22:08 .

#102 Sandhole

Sandhole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 12 October 2018 - 02:40

It's the outside valve gear that's going to give me nightmares. :o  Anyway, it's going in the stash of kits to be built once I have got the layout itself done. The stash is growing and now includes a pair of 1850s NBR coaches and a pair of 1880s NER coaches. On the wagon stock front I have been given a couple kits for L&Y half box wagons, which will be used for traffic from the pipe works. One thing I need is a suitably old former mainline railway cast off brake van and an L&Y 'tin tab' brake van. Does anyone know of a kit for the latter?

I think I have a D&S kit for the Tin Tab. I'm about to go to work ,but I'll check when I get back this afternoon.

Chris.

#103 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  • LocationTonbridge, Kent

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:03

One thing I need is a suitably old former mainline railway cast off brake van and an L&Y 'tin tab' brake van. Does anyone know of a kit for the latter?

The D&S kit is now with London Road Models:

https://traders.scal...various/wagons/

Adam

• Thanks x 1

#104 Sandhole

Sandhole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 12 October 2018 - 15:05

IMG_20180310_163426.jpg IMG_20180310_163541.jpg

The valve gear is horribly scale!!

I used pins 'cos I could find no rivets that would work and I would not have liked to try hammering rivets either!! Soldering pins was far safer.

My valvegear fell to pieces because of wear, pure and simple!!! It was unsaveable. I think that is why I was recommended to use the Blacksmith GWR railmotor stuff.

Mike Edge, being a far more indgenious modeller than me probably overcame that problem by an easy method that escaped me!!

The kit is buildable. Especially by a man of your ability!

I love mine to bits!! mike did the body 'Scabby!' Panels plated over, just about hanging on! She has and still does sterling service on Oldham Road and I wouldn't be without her!!

I apologise for the 2by4 scenery, but I'm not a fast scenery man. I just start playing trains!!!

Compared to Mikes version, she is rough and ready!! She is 35 years old, has worked on at least three layouts and as I have said, I love her to bits!!!!

Chris.

• Like x 4

#105 Michael Edge

Michael Edge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 07:08

I always use soldered pins for making up valve gear, however the Blacksmith GW railmotor etches are even skimpier than the Jidenco ones. The problem is really that there is far too little material round the holes and they break up very easily.

#106 Sandhole

Sandhole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 13 October 2018 - 13:18

I always use soldered pins for making up valve gear, however the Blacksmith GW railmotor etches are even skimpier than the Jidenco ones. The problem is really that there is far too little material round the holes and they break up very easily.

Thanks for that Mike.

I'll stick to my spare Jidenco fret when the motion completely falls to bits and I have to repair it.

Chris.

#107 Sandhole

Sandhole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 13 October 2018 - 15:21

I think I have a D&S kit for the Tin Tab. I'm about to go to work ,but I'll check when I get back this afternoon.

Chris.

I've got the Tin Tab kit.

PM me if you want it and we'll sort a price. I'm not into stupid money by any means.

C.