Heljan class 28

class29returns

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone altered the cab windows on their Class 28 to get it to "as built" condition? The models seem to have a moulded rim around the windows, which might be to represent the prominent rubber seals fitted to stop the new windows falling out so often. Would this need to be removed, as when built the windows looked larger, as well as being wrapped around the corners of the cabs?

I've looked through lots of books and early 1960s magazines and whilst there are photos of modified Class 28s on depot with no small yellow panel, I've not found evidence that any worked in traffic in this condition.

• 9 months later...

Having looked at many of the pages of this thread and tried searching for images, but still unsure of the definitive answer, I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me on:

- Did any plain green locos CoBos without yellow ends get the revised window arrangement

- Was only one loco painted blue

Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at many of the pages of this thread and tried searching for images, but still unsure of the definitive answer, I would be grateful if someone could enlighten me on:

- Did any plain green locos CoBos without yellow ends get the revised window arrangement

- Was only one loco painted blue

Many thanks

Yes, there is a picture of D5711 in plain green with the revised front windows on this site. http://nicwhe8.freehostia.com/d5705/start.html Unfortunately it wont let me link directly, so you have to go to the gallery on the toolbar on the left hand side, go to page two and it's the 1st picture.

And yes, only one CoBo went blue.

HTH.

• Like 1

Interesting thing about those pictures, we've heard so much about them been smoky......... Anyway, we'll find out in the summer of 2015 all been well! :locomotive:

It's very hard to generate smoke when the engine has stopped!!!!  ;)

That's actually quite an interesting observation, D605.  :)

Whilst there are photos of Class 28s with revised windows but no yellow warning panel, they all seem to be on shed. I have never seen a photo of one in that state in traffic. The date of the photo of D5711 would have been very early for one of the fully refurbished locos.

By the way, has anyone seen a Heljan Class 28 that has been modified to have the wrap-around windows? Now that the price at Hattons is creeping down, it's tempting to have a go. What would be the best way of making the new glazing?

Many thanks for the confirmation that they did exist in plain green with revised windows and that only one was blue. I was wondering which to order from Hattons. Is the picture of D5700 appears in plain green with revised windows in a publication or online I wonder.

Many thanks for the confirmation that they did exist in plain green with revised windows and that only one was blue. I was wondering which to order from Hattons. Is the picture of D5700 appears in plain green with revised windows in a publication or online I wonder.

The image I have of D5700 is a slide for which I don't have copyright. If you care to PM me I will provide you with further information.

By the way, has anyone seen a Heljan Class 28 that has been modified to have the wrap-around windows? Now that the price at Hattons is creeping down, it's tempting to have a go. What would be the best way of making the new glazing?

I would have thought the best would be an etch of the earlier windows to go over the plastic windows once those are cut away as the earlier windows are larger.

Im surprised no one has brought out an etched replacement windscreen for these so far

2162892710_4d18174d79_z.jpg?zz=1

The 'Condor' Express Freight Service. by Lady Wulfrun, on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I would have thought the best would be an etch of the earlier windows to go over the plastic windows once those are cut away as the earlier windows are larger.

Im surprised no one has brought out an etched replacement windscreen for these so far

2162892710_4d18174d79_z.jpg?zz=1

The 'Condor' Express Freight Service. by Lady Wulfrun, on Flickr

Trouble is, the windows are wraparound, i.e. the glass is curved.  I think you'd need a pre-shaped piece of clear plastic as well as a bendable etched frame.

did the 28s not sell well, hattons has taken £25 off some models!

They were priced a bit high to start when you compare them to similar Heljan locomotives.  They've sold them to all the individuals willing to pay £25 more, there is probably another group of buyers that want one, or a second one, but not at the original price.    Excess stock isn't always an indicator of poor sales, just means they didn't sell out.  If you sell out quickly, then you never really know how many you could have sold...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...