Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Dads were highly useful weren't they? Trouble with my dad was that whenever we got anywhere near the ECML he used to confuse me with the numbers he remembered from before the war - along would come an A3 named so & so and he would immediately say a 4 digit number which very definitely didn't begin with a 6 or even make any sense to me when I knocked off the 6.

But another nice day for 'spotting' at Peterborough and nice of you to take some pics for the rest of us to revive our memories.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful day, sun flooding in, great after all the dull days recently, and must make for easier photography? Actually, all it does is create a new set of problems. Never mind, as usual while operating I've pointed the camera at a few trains. I'd left the Elizabethan where it was at the end of the last session, and with light streaming in I thought we might get a better shot of the A4.

post-98-0-77770400-1329656927_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-09516200-1329656972_thumb.jpg

Next it's time for some confessions. Here we have the morning Birmingham -Ely through train, headed by Leicester Midland's Jubilee Malay States. The B17 in the bay will shortly take over. Why the confession? Well, this train did not stop at North station, it ran through on the Midland lines and changed engines at Peterborough East. Leicester didn't get Jubilees till 1960 either. But if I stuck to that it would be one less opportunity to run a B17, and I'd not be able to have a Jubilee, and I wanted one. I can't always manage to stick strictly to prototype. See what I mean about the light. This is with the blinds shut too.

post-98-0-73801800-1329657025_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-20958200-1329657493_thumb.jpg

Before the engine change can take place, which will mean the Jubilee has to use the Down main, the 0940 KX- Newcastle takes precedence.

post-98-0-51058900-1329657625_thumb.jpg

Here's the view from Crescent Bridge - not much good to the trainspotters. So, here's the loco, Grantham's A3 Persimmon. She spent a few years on the GC post war, but is now back where she belongs.

post-98-0-59217300-1329657706_thumb.jpg

The engine change has taken place, and the Birmingham - Ely has departed, making room for the second morning Cleethorpes - KX.

post-98-0-11048200-1329657866_thumb.jpg

This triggers another confession. Britannias were seen on these trains, but not till some were sent to Immingham shed in 1961. I can prove that Brits were seen on the ECML in August 1958, and I also know that Top shed regularly borrowed March V2's at peak holiday times. Rudyard Kipling was a March engine at the time, so could have been borrowed. Why it would have been on an Immingham duty though, don't ask me. 70035 headed the Colchester- Newcastle train through Lincoln Central for months on end in '58, and I saw it often, so that was the engine I wanted. Good looking engines I think, and particularly impressive when seen as in this view.

post-98-0-01602100-1329658373_thumb.jpg

Time to recharge the camera's battery. More later if I can, when the sun is no longer shining directly into the room.

• Like 19

This triggers another confession. Britannias were seen on these trains, but not till some were sent to Immingham shed in 1961. I can prove that Brits were seen on the ECML in August 1958, and I also know that Top shed regularly borrowed March V2's at peak holiday times. Rudyard Kipling was a March engine at the time, so could have been borrowed. Why it would have been on an Immingham duty though, don't ask me. 70035 headed the Colchester- Newcastle train through Lincoln Central for months on end in '58, and I saw it often, so that was the engine I wanted. Good looking engines I think, and particularly impressive when seen as in this view.

Gilbert, can you explain the bit about Brits on the ECML in 1958? I know there were a few instances of Brits running on services from Doncaster for a bit, but before the switch to Immingham I've only seen one photo of a Brit at Grantham which worked a parcels train. The loco escapes me, but I will try and hunt out the details for another post.

Any details would be gratefully received.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, can you explain the bit about Brits on the ECML in 1958? I know there were a few instances of Brits running on services from Doncaster for a bit, but before the switch to Immingham I've only seen one photo of a Brit at Grantham which worked a parcels train. The loco escapes me, but I will try and hunt out the details for another post.

Any details would be gratefully received.

Ian

Hi Ian,

This is from Trains Illustrated October 1958. " Some GE line Britannias were noted on the ECML at the end of August. On August 23 70003 was borrowed to work the 1118 KX- Hull and 2.45pm back between KX and Doncaster, and on August 28th 70041 at KX with the Up car sleeper. Two days later 70041 was noted at Darlington on the 1008 KX- Glasgow. A parcels train from Doncaster which often has an ex works engine brought 70037 to KX on August 23rd."

70037 and 70041 are shown in Railway Observer as being ex works Aug '58, so no doubt Doncaster was borrowing some nice shiny top condition engines during the holiday rush, but 70003 isn't mentioned as being in works during the period, so that's a bit more of a mystery. None of this however helps you I'm afraid, as Doncaster had only recently started overhauling Britannias. In 1956/7 that job still fell to Crewe!

• Like 1

Another nice set of pictures, Gilbert.

I loved the Brits too. Immingham was almost impossible to get round as a lad, being, as it was, in the middle of dockland, so more security than you could shake a stick at. (Goole, another nearby interesting depot, was the same).

We got 70036/7/8 through Scunny regular in the early 60's on Cleethorpes to? trains, always departing here at 1930.

• RMweb Premium

Another nice set of pictures, Gilbert.

I loved the Brits too. Immingham was almost impossible to get round as a lad, being, as it was, in the middle of dockland, so more security than you could shake a stick at. (Goole, another nearby interesting depot, was the same).

We got 70036/7/8 through Scunny regular in the early 60's on Cleethorpes to *? trains, always departing here at 1930.

*Manchester?

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how many of you have been getting irritated by the sight of half completed water cranes and other such things, but it finally got to the point where even I couldn't put up with it any more, so a short burst of activity has taken place. First here is a shot of the two cranes at the North end of Platforms 3 and 6. Again these are courtesy of Andrew C Ingram, and his copyright should be respected.

post-98-0-91966500-1330104510_thumb.jpg

I wanted to get something as close to that as possible, given the compression of this part of the layout. Here's what I've managed so far.

post-98-0-59857400-1330104620_thumb.jpg

That nearest crane does not really lean as the camera makes it appear to do, honest. I can't get the same view exactly, and it never occured to me to park some wagons in the background, but that's what I now have. Things aren't permanently fixed yet, in case I decide this isn't good enough.

post-98-0-56097300-1330104890_thumb.jpg

A bit more work around the signal box too. I do have a photo to work from, but no permission yet to use it, so this is as much as I can show you. I'm quite pleased with this view, so I can now get everything bedded in properly, and consider whether I'm going to try to model the very noticeable point rodding round here........

post-98-0-00314900-1330105158_thumb.jpg

Here's an overhead view of the area. I can't get the crossing in the correct place, but hopefully it doesn't look too bad.

post-98-0-60053200-1330105279_thumb.jpg

Here is Sun Castle moving across to the Down side to back onto the 1130 to Edinburgh. Proper modelling, courtesy of Tim.

post-98-0-71483900-1330105431_thumb.jpg

523 has now backed onto her train, while a J6 creeps by on the Down slow with a very short transfer freight from South Yard. The J6 won't be going much further though, as the signals at Spital Bridge are very firmly against her.

post-98-0-70177400-1330105636_thumb.jpg

And here's why. The Flying Scotsman takes precedence over all this lot. By the way, I've been looking at a lot of prototype photos, which show that lamps did tend to be kept clean, were very prominent in many photos, and weren't very often attached properly either! I have now stopped worrying about this particular subject.

post-98-0-24168300-1330105863_thumb.jpg

Number 10 in charge today.

post-98-0-87151300-1330105933_thumb.jpg

The view from Spital Bridge.....

post-98-0-59876900-1330105998_thumb.jpg

and an attempt at a different angle, not hepled by the light as usual.

post-98-0-54562100-1330106088_thumb.jpg

And one more view of Sun Castle to finish off for now.

• Like 14

Hello Gilbert.

A super set of pictures as usual.

Just one thing I've noticed is that there appears to be a pale grey circular spot in a number of them. This can be clearly seen in the end view of North Box. I wonder if your camera sensor has some dead pixels on it. If it's still under guarantee, it might be worth contacting your supplier.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

Hello Gilbert.

A super set of pictures as usual.

Just one thing I've noticed is that there appears to be a pale grey circular spot in a number of them. This can be clearly seen in the end view of North Box. I wonder if your camera sensor has some dead pixels on it. If it's still under guarantee, it might be worth contacting your supplier.

Regards,

Peter

Gilbert,

The same spot is also visible on the first pic of Rudyard Kippling, (immediately below the cylinder housing), and also on the last pic of Sun Castle, (leading axle box on tender).

Stuart.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

The same spot is also visible on the first pic of Rudyard Kippling, (immediately below the cylinder housing), and also on the last pic of Sun Castle, (leading axle box on tender).

Stuart.

Makes me wonder if it's a dust spot on the sensor. Thing is, they're a darn sight harder to remove on a camera that doesn't have a removeable lens on the front....

Nice to see 523 out earning her spots again :)

• RMweb Premium

Nice break yesterday, decent golf for once - 81. :D So today I return refreshed to modelling, but first to find out why that spot keeps appearing on photos. Close investigation revealed something small but determined to stick to the lens. Having removed it, the camera must be tested....

post-98-0-25646700-1330263700_thumb.jpg

An optimistic back lit shot of the J6 moving off with it's transfer working. Looks better in black and white, and not too bad I think?

post-98-0-92438000-1330263855_thumb.jpg

It's now 1130 and Sun Castle pulls away with the Edinburgh train. I'm still not sure why there would be a Peterborough - Edinburgh service though?

post-98-0-90418500-1330264003_thumb.jpg

Next on the Up is the 0915 York- KX, by coincidence hauled today by another of Tim's finest,(and filthiest).

post-98-0-69935400-1330264164_thumb.jpg

And next on the Down main, Doncaster's A3 Ladas is about to stop with the 1020 KX - Leeds.

post-98-0-40673700-1330264317_thumb.jpg

Now here's something that hasn't been featured yet. Down stopping services over a certain weight got a helping hand from one of the pilots when starting away onto that dogs leg curve. Gresley's locos certainly could slip if not handled perfectly - I can remember being scared stiff by one or two incidents during my early spotting days. I was only about 10 years old though. They weren't as good at it as Mr Thompson's locos though. ;)

post-98-0-15279100-1330264674_thumb.jpg

This is about as far as the pilot would go, but by this time it would have added still more to the pollution under that overall roof. Light coloured clothes weren't a great idea when catching a train in those days. This banking manoeuvre is dead easy to do on a DCC controlled layout. I'm told this can be done using DC, but I can't imagine it can be anywhere near as simple as it is for me. My only problem is how to detach the banking engine. It would of course just have buffered up in reality, but my kadees attach themselves pretty firmly. I'm cheating by having one pilot with no front coupling, but that then creates another problem when I want to use it for general duties. Any ideas folks? By the way, although Up trains also had a dogs leg curve to deal with immediately on starting, they didn't get a banking engine. Strange, especially as what gradient there is was against them.

Finally, please note the absence of spots on the images. :)

• Like 13

Nice break yesterday, decent golf for once - 81. :D So today I return refreshed to modelling, but first to find out why that spot keeps appearing on photos. Close investigation revealed something small but determined to stick to the lens. Having removed it, the camera must be tested....

post-98-0-25646700-1330263700_thumb.jpg

An optimistic back lit shot of the J6 moving off with it's transfer working. Looks better in black and white, and not too bad I think?

post-98-0-92438000-1330263855_thumb.jpg

It's now 1130 and Sun Castle pulls away with the Edinburgh train. I'm still not sure why there would be a Peterborough - Edinburgh service though?

post-98-0-90418500-1330264003_thumb.jpg

Next on the Up is the 0915 York- KX, by coincidence hauled today by another of Tim's finest,(and filthiest).

post-98-0-69935400-1330264164_thumb.jpg

And next on the Down main, Doncaster's A3 Ladas is about to stop with the 1020 KX - Leeds.

post-98-0-40673700-1330264317_thumb.jpg

Now here's something that hasn't been featured yet. Down stopping services over a certain weight got a helping hand from one of the pilots when starting away onto that dogs leg curve. Gresley's locos certainly could slip if not handled perfectly - I can remember being scared stiff by one or two incidents during my early spotting days. I was only about 10 years old though. They weren't as good at it as Mr Thompson's locos though. ;)

post-98-0-15279100-1330264674_thumb.jpg

This is about as far as the pilot would go, but by this time it would have added still more to the pollution under that overall roof. Light coloured clothes weren't a great idea when catching a train in those days. This banking manoeuvre is dead easy to do on a DCC controlled layout. I'm told this can be done using DC, but I can't imagine it can be anywhere near as simple as it is for me. My only problem is how to detach the banking engine. It would of course just have buffered up in reality, but my kadees attach themselves pretty firmly. I'm cheating by having one pilot with no front coupling, but that then creates another problem when I want to use it for general duties. Any ideas folks? By the way, although Up trains also had a dogs leg curve to deal with immediately on starting, they didn't get a banking engine. Strange, especially as what gradient there is was against them.

Finally, please note the absence of spots on the images. :)

Gilbert,

Quite simple. Just get yourself another C 12 with no front coupling and use it as a dedicated banker. That shouldn't be too difficult !!!!!

You know that you need more smaller locos.

Stuart

• Like 1

This is about as far as the pilot would go, but by this time it would have added still more to the pollution under that overall roof. Light coloured clothes weren't a great idea when catching a train in those days. This banking manoeuvre is dead easy to do on a DCC controlled layout. I'm told this can be done using DC, but I can't imagine it can be anywhere near as simple as it is for me. My only problem is how to detach the banking engine. It would of course just have buffered up in reality, but my kadees attach themselves pretty firmly. I'm cheating by having one pilot with no front coupling, but that then creates another problem when I want to use it for general duties. Any ideas folks?

Hi Gilbert

It can be done, but, you wil need either to open the Kadee manually so that they join in "delay" mode or add a kadee uncoupling magnet in the four foot where the rear coach stops so that when the pilot approaches the magnet opens the kadee for you. In either case when you slow the pilot down the couplings disengage automatically while the main train carries on.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not an expert with K's but maybe something as simple as a little blob of black blue tak on the coach (or loco, whichever coupling is least used) to prevent the K's engaging?

P @ 36E (who is also a little blob in many folks' opinion so likes to promote the species).

• Like 1

I like the way the track bends to go around a signal post. Probably not often modelled, I remember seeing this west of Chester on the north Wales line when my train was running neck and neck with one on the slow, and the slow line weaved in and out of obstacles. Quite amazing.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I like the way the track bends to go around a signal post. Probably not often modelled, I remember seeing this west of Chester on the north Wales line when my train was running neck and neck with one on the slow, and the slow line weaved in and out of obstacles. Quite amazing.

When Norman Saunders first delivered this board I looked at that kink in the carriage siding and thought he had made a mistake. Then I looked at a photo - he hadn't. Was it done to avoid the signal I wonder? I don't know which was there first.

• RMweb Premium

Stuart, Ian and Phil - thanks for the suggestions. I'm sure all of them would work. Ian's idea comes out much cheaper than Stuart's, though putting in another under board magnet now would require major surgery, which I'm not keen to undertake. I'd forgotten about the delay function, so I'll try that. Phil's idea though really appeals- just a little blob eh! Much cheaper that way. I'll try it next time I do some operating, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, and it avoids more locoholism.

• Like 1

More lovely photos.

I like the water cranes, but the bagging doesn't hang right, does it? For me that was the only jarring note. But how to get it to do so, I don't know, I really don't.

The paintwork on "Sun Castle" just glows. It LOOKS like it's been dirtier, but cleaned.

I don't know how you could replicate it, but if you could get your A4's to look the same, they would be more realistic. At the moment they seem to have an overall flat sheen?

• RMweb Premium

More lovely photos.

I like the water cranes, but the bagging doesn't hang right, does it? For me that was the only jarring note. But how to get it to do so, I don't know, I really don't.

The paintwork on "Sun Castle" just glows. It LOOKS like it's been dirtier, but cleaned.

I don't know how you could replicate it, but if you could get your A4's to look the same, they would be more realistic. At the moment they seem to have an overall flat sheen?

I keep trying to get the bagging to hang straight Jeff, but as you say, it isn't easy. I get it right, then when my back is turned it twists itself again. I wonder if there is a better material to use than the stuff that comes with the kit?

The A4's are lovely models, but for me Hornby's interpretation of BR green just isn't quite right. I reckon Bachmann are closer as regards colour, but their lining is a bit obtrusive. The Golden Age one is the best, but then it should be at that price. I wonder how Tim would react if I asked him to do a repaint job on 14 of them? I reckon I'll soon know when he reads this.

• Like 2