RTR HST in T Gauge

Adam1701D

• RMweb Gold

Details and pictures here:

http://www.tgauge.co.uk/product/109/0/br-inter-city-125/e5387330c9aa607f56592969a238f7bc

T Gauge seems to be really growing in popularity and the quality of some of the newest models no longer puts it in the novelty executive toy category. With the right controller, the trains are responsive with good slow-speed running, so the first RTR UK item can only be a good thing.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just been doing some calculations and it looks like the track gauge is wrong, I make it 3.175mm at 1:450th scale - maybe there should be a PT society :lol: :lol:

Why am I still tempted with the DP1 kit, mayne also why I'm currently looking at an Optivisor on Amazon? :blink: :lol: :lol:

Great news about the HST though, looks pretty good to me from the pics. The adjustable wagon/carriage chassis look ideal for scratchbuilding some coaches for DP1 too!

I am very excited about T gauge, as a 'taster' I bought an oval of track, controller, 'garden loco' (basically a slightly oversized continental diesel loco, useful for kitbashing!) and a bit of flexitrack to play with. The loco is an excellent runner on its own (excellent in a three millimetre sort of way... you have to adjust your expectations a little to take account of the tiny mechanism) but would be even better double heading or with a powered waggon or carriage behind it.

I'm still trying to figure out a plan of what to do with it... this morning's idea is to create a mini Class 86/87 to go with some Virgin Mark III carriages. (this is amongst lots of plans!)

It strikes me that the scale would be perfect for representing miniature railways in larger scales.

Out of curiosity, how big a miniature railway would T gauge represent if laid next to 00? My rough calculation puts it at roughly representing 10½" gauge on an 00 layout, though having never seen T gauge in the flesh I don't know how the sizes of what's available look next to 00 stock.

A bit of idle calculating I had posted on the 'Talking T Gauge' forum:

Three mm gauge track in the smaller conventional scales:

I have been thinking about some scratchbuilding projects to use the basic T-gauge chassis, based on British prototypes.

I have some ideas based on British diesel.. (or even Gas turbine!!) designs, built to 1/450 scale.

For steam however, I am keen to explore what can be done by using 3mm track to represent a narrow gauge prototype. The only tricky bit here is to decide what scale to use, if I was to use 1/220 scale, using continental Z gauge scenic parts, the track would be marginally too wide, using 1/148 scale (our own slightly oversized version of proper N gauge!) the track turns out a bit too narrow. Either way, its not far off right, either way it is a compromise. Using 1/148 has the advantages of letting me use scenic bits and pieces that I already own.

(bearing in mind the prototype track gauge I'm after is 597mm, just under 2 foot)

3mm gauge in 1/148= 444mm gauge

3mm gauge in 1/160= 480mm gauge

3mm gauge in 1/220= 660mm gauge

I guess that given the thickness of the rails themselves, you could consider the apparent size of the track to be a fair bit bigger than 3mm, I reckon if T-flex comes out looking the way it appears in the photos we have seen, it would serve pretty well as a sort of 'generic pretty narrow' gauge in either of the usual N scales.

The problem is creating a working model of a steam locomotive in such a small size, for now Im certain that it is beyond me, or at least, beyond me to scratchbuild realistic working motion.

Or maybe there is an answer, one of these...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAR_NGG_16_Class

By modelling a Garratt, at such a small scale, you have a loco type that could reasonably sit on a standard, shortened, driving coach chassis (the 'pony wheels' at either end could be simply 'suggested'). This would allow a model of a section of the Welsh Highland Railway, with its tight corners and rugged scenery it makes an attractive proposition. One interesting challenge would be to make an N gauge / T gauge crossover, like the one at Porthmadog

• Like 1

One cheeky idea crossed my mind, if you are stuck trying to work out a prototype location to base a T gauge model on, you could always go to an exhibition, pick out a layout that you like, and make a model of that!

For instance, Wyre Forest MRC's 'Kinlet Wharf' (N gauge, modern image, HST-territory) sits on three main scenic boards. With T gauge being roughly a third of the linear size, a facsimilie of the layout could be built on just one of those boards!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is something of a testiment to Eishindo's constant steps to improve their mechanisms that models such as this have come into reality. Still remember the suspect running evident in the first genration of motors, which could easily have killed T Gauge as soon as it was released...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The possibilities for sweeping landscapes like on the Glennfinnan demo layout at Warley are what tempts me most. Now if they could do a 37 and sprinters you could model the West Highland properly.

The HST with a full rake will look very good indeed on something like the sea wall at Dawlish.

• Like 1

Just been doing some calculations and it looks like the track gauge is wrong, I make it 3.175mm at 1:450th scale - maybe there should be a PT society :lol: :lol:

Actually for the Japanese models done so far the track gauge is too wide as they have all been 3'6" (1067mm) gauge EMUs which would mean 2.71mm gauge track - only the Shinkansen lines are Standard Gauge. You could argue the scale should be 1:355.666.

Oh, and the obvious scale for 597/600mm gauge lines on T track would surely be 1:200.

It strikes me that the scale would be perfect for representing miniature railways in larger scales.

Out of curiosity, how big a miniature railway would T gauge represent if laid next to 00? My rough calculation puts it at roughly representing 10½" gauge on an 00 layout, though having never seen T gauge in the flesh I don't know how the sizes of what's available look next to 00 stock.

In 4mm (00/Em/P4) scale, 3mm gauge track should work out to 9" gauge - slightly over half the size of the R,H&D!!!

Interestingly I see they now do 'Wider Sleeper' flextrack: http://www.tgauge.co...eper-flexitrack - the possibilities are endless!

One could represent a keen modellers miniature garden railway on a 7mm layout (5" gauge!) or a 4mm layout (9" gauge?!?), an 18" gauge line in 2mm scale, a 'proper' 2' NG railway in Z scale or of course, a full size line in T scale!

Apologies for mixing metaphors (scale/gauges) there, hopefully you see what I mean.

This reminds me of a letter I read in an old magazine (MRC?) whereby a resident of one of her Majesties correctional establishments was contemplating a model of the ECML as seen from the WCML!!

It certainly gives the lie to those who say they have no room for a layout! (unless of course, they are at her Majesty's leisure!).

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

There's a rather good video on YouTube of the T Gauge HST running as a 6-car set.

I love the way it just vanishes into the landscape...

Does look rather effective at doesn't it. Do you know if it reliably goes slower than that? Looking at the speed that it is travelling at you should be able to get it to haul a scale length train.