Bachmann FNA

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

[froth mode on]

Model Rail report that they are photgraphing the FNA, so I guess it's in the shops soon, although not showing on the "next 60 day" list.

Cheers,

Mick

Had Email from one of the big box shifters on Wednesday 18th May I was told they would arrive with them between June & July 2011.

"Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only."

This is all three FNA's :yahoo:

Bachmann UK 38-345 FNA nuclear flask wagon in standard Buff livery with flat floor & round buffers.

Bachmann UK 38-346 FNA nuclear flask wagon in standard Buff livery with sloping floor, changeover valve & oval buffers.

Bachmann UK 38-347 FNA nuclear flask wagon in standard Buff livery with sloping floor & round buffers.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea which particular eras (eri??) these different variants are suitable for ? I'm looking for mid-80's....

Pat

PAT as Bachmann have chosen to slap huge flask numbers on the lids of all three? (Certainly 2 of the 3) then none of them is OK for mid 80s out of the box. Think the flat floored one is the earliest style of the 3. The later ones gained sloping floors to keep water from pooling on them.

• 1 month later...

Any idea which particular eras (eri??) these different variants are suitable for ? I'm looking for mid-80's....

Pat

550025 would have been introduced towards end of 1985, so should be OK. I believe the others are of designs introduced in 1988.

Paul Bartlett

Has anyone else recognised conflicting information. On pre-order sites they are listed as:

38-345 FNA with flat floor and round buffers

38-346 FNA with sloping floor and oval buffers

38-347 FNA with sloping floor and round buffers

Yet on Bachmann site they are listed as:

38-345 FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon - Flat Floor & Round Buffers, Flask 23

38-346 FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon - Flat Floor, Changeover Valve & Round Buffers Flask 14

38-347 FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon - Sloping Floor & Oval Buffers Flask 38

Now this seems to be bit of a pickle. As i have Model Rails 37409 on order, i need a FNA with Oval Buffers. I have now pre-ordered the 38-346 from a "box shifter", but after checking Bachmanns site, seems i should of ordered 38-347.

Rather confusing, who is right? The retailers or Bachmann?

I'd guess the Bachmann site is correct, with additional info added since the original announcement. It might be worth contacting Bachmann http://Bachmann.co.uk/contact.php for confirmation though?

There are plenty still running around with round buffers, the lower numbered ones were built with them, the higher numbers with rectangular. Some lower numbered wagons have had their buffers replaced, but lots retain round buffers still. This was taken December 2010, 2 of the 3 had round buffers, 550025 and 550017. 550044 had rectangular ones. Not sure about 017 as it's the wrong way round, but 550025 has the brake changeover valve on the side, too.

post-6899-0-55970600-1313071020_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps,

jo

Guest Natalie Graham

That photo answers a question. I saw two 37s pulling two of those this morning and wondered what they were.

Has anyone else recognised conflicting information. On pre-order sites they are listed as:

38-345 FNA with flat floor and round buffers

38-346 FNA with sloping floor and oval buffers

38-347 FNA with sloping floor and round buffers

Yet on Bachmann site they are listed as:

38-345 FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon - Flat Floor & Round Buffers, Flask 23

38-346 FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon - Flat Floor, Changeover Valve & Round Buffers Flask 14

38-347 FNA Nuclear Flask Wagon - Sloping Floor & Oval Buffers Flask 38

Now this seems to be bit of a pickle. As i have Model Rails 37409 on order, i need a FNA with Oval Buffers. I have now pre-ordered the 38-346 from a "box shifter", but after checking Bachmanns site, seems i should of ordered 38-347.

Rather confusing, who is right? The retailers or Bachmann?

I'd guess the Bachmann site is correct, with additional info added since the original announcement. It might be worth contacting Bachmann http://Bachmann.co.uk/contact.php for confirmation though?

There are plenty still running around with round buffers, the lower numbered ones were built with them, the higher numbers with rectangular. Some lower numbered wagons have had their buffers replaced, but lots retain round buffers still. This was taken December 2010, 2 of the 3 had round buffers, 550025 and 550017. 550044 had rectangular ones. Not sure about 017 as it's the wrong way round, but 550025 has the brake changeover valve on the side, too.

Hope this helps,

jo

I have had confirmation from Bachmann that the following is correct.

38-345 FNA Nuclear flask wagon with flat floor No. 550014

38-346 FNA nuclear flask wagon with flat floor No. 550023

38-347 FNA Nuclear flask wagon with sloping floor No. 550038

I would say anyone who has a pre-order is to check with your supplier?

I have had confirmation from Bachmann that the following is correct.

38-345 FNA Nuclear flask wagon with flat floor No. 550014

38-346 FNA nuclear flask wagon with flat floor No. 550023

38-347 FNA Nuclear flask wagon with sloping floor No. 550038

I would say anyone who has a pre-order is to check with your supplier?

Photographs of the first two are in http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnuclearflask, including details.

Paul Bartlett

• 1 month later...

I picked one up from ModelRail Live and its a nice model...it looks though like they left China in April!

It is a huge suprise why its taken as long as it has to produce a RTR one, or maybe not..

I got oveal buffers sloping floor and the wealth of printing on it is amazing.

Have to look to reomve the bogies in a bit and get some EM wheels in it, looks like it will be straight forward.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pictures on Hattons website only 38-346 FNA Nuclear flask wagon with flat floor No. 550023

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?SID=32753 has the earlier type of red/white overhead electric warning flashes.

It can be seem in the centre of the container near the top edge. Not to be confused with the yellow nuclear warning on the side.

These warning flashes were replace in the mid 90s as far as I know.

I aiming for 1989 so this appears to be correct for that time. It also appears to be consistent with the photo on Paul's site from 1986

If I get either of the other two I would need to replace the flashes assuming other detail variations are appropriate for the time.

I have pics of 550022 (not 550023 as model) in 1992, didn't have the warning hazchem holders on the body sides (later addition), the yellow warning dimonds on the cover were white not yellow, definately would not have numbers on the roof (did many get this later on or only a few?). The cover would have had the wagon number on each end too. So I think a few minor changes for 1989.

• RMweb Premium

Jo's pic above shows all wagons with solid disc handbrake wheels. Bachy's 38-346 550023 has 4-spoke handbrake wheels. Has anyone got a recent pic of 550023?

Just found a 2010 dated pic of 550014 - not obvious that it has roof numbers and there's a red/white early overhead flash still on it - under the platform http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FNA-Flask-carriers/17580402_z8t2Nm#1420180867_Lt75ZpP-A-LB

This is in no way scientific, but from a quick skim through my photos, it appears the ones that have the whole number on the end of the flask lid (5500xx) don't carry roof numbers, whereas those with just the last two digits have roof numbers, as per my photo in post #12. From what I can tell, the whole number was added to the ends in BR days (seen in a pic of one behind a pair of coal sector 31s) and the shortened version with roof number is a post DRS livery mod.

Am I right in thinking, now they carry the Hazchem board on the wagon, they only display a Radioactive sign when running loaded? Thus Bachmann have modelled two loaded, and one empty?

jo

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking, now they carry the Hazchem board on the wagon, they only display a Radioactive sign when running loaded? Thus Bachmann have modelled two loaded, and one empty?

"Bother" said Pooh.................

I was planning on doing some renumbering - now I need to decide if both mine or loaded or empty and remove/add the Hazchem label as required.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I don't know for sure sure Mick, so hang fire - I just raised it in case anyone knew for sure. I'm sure it's easy enough to knock a Hazchem up on the computer if needs be though...

jo

Hi Jo, I saw 6K73 Sellafield-Crewe in the distance the other day and it looks like one wagon with Hazchem and the other without! 550042 and 550046.

post-408-0-90214000-1316901303.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Archived