Blog quality

it's pretty clear to anyone who's lurked for any length of time what entry level contributions are expected.

Yes - and there are also several of these threads discussing what isn't acceptable too. I remember one about pictures of under construction baseboards, and how that wasn't a suitable use of the gallery, for example.

A blog in the wider world is often used as a simple my Diary type of entry as in "what I did today, or what I'm thinking now"

Those of us who have been around RMWeb for a while have seen them develop here into a slightly different format

I think that using the term "blog" is part of the problem - it seems that some people are treating them as actual blogs, and posting whatever random thoughts with a vague connection to model railways come in to their head.

As Kenton and Pete, say on the wider web, the term 'Blog' is very much associated with the online diary type entries (which is exactly as the two examples in Andy's OP appear to be using their RMWeb Blogs), and mostly do consist of the banal "nowt apn'ing in my life" or the "look at me! aren't I wonderful!!!!" type postings...

Andy clearly intended the 'blog' facility on here to be a very different beast - effectively an alternative presentation of similar content, standard and relevance to a conventional thread. Clearly some have got that, others havent... Perhaps these (mostly younger/more tech savvy?) members see the title 'blog' and use it the same way as they do other blogging sites?; so a different heading which emphasises the intended usage would be beneficial.

I really do hate the general disliking of the blog section on this forum, because people "don't like the code" or "there's a lot of froth". There's tonnes of useless threads created on a daily basis with few replies - why don't we get complaints about them too?
Read this thread with interest. I wonder if the nonsense blog post appears to be more of a problem than nonsense forum posts (do I assume too much here) because they don't invite interaction in the same way that threads on the forum do.

I don't think it is a blogs vs threads situation, you are right that there equally useless forum threads/postings floating around. The way I think Andy intends them to be used, should as I said above give a similar standard of content. Essentially (for me anyway), the choice between an RM Web-blog and a Thread is what level of reader feedback/interaction the author wants...

Paul

Hmmm. You could be right there.

My better work (I'd like to think) on here, is generally research-related and I park it in my blog because those who may get use from referring to it generally know where to look. I suppose I should've thought about collating that Waverley Route material and setting up the WR Group Resource Room in a more structured way for people to access stuff. When it comes to my less structured activities I think they are suitably lightweight and too insubstantial for a blog - so they end up in threads instead. I must confess that the livelier debate to my mind, comes in the thread format.

Anyway, I don't see much point in me fretting about this - once I've used Simon's tips and restructured the blog I'm sure it will work perfectly well for those who need to access the ludicrous gen I compile!

As Kenton and Pete, say on the wider web, the term 'Blog' is very much associated with the online diary type entries (which is exactly as the two examples in Andy's OP appear to be using their RMWeb Blogs), and mostly do consist of the banal "nowt apn'ing in my life" or the "look at me! aren't I wonderful!!!!" type postings...

Andy clearly intended the 'blog' facility on here to be a very different beast - effectively an alternative presentation of similar content, standard and relevance to a conventional thread. Clearly some have got that, others havent... Perhaps these (mostly younger/more tech savvy?) members see the title 'blog' and use it the same way as they do other blogging sites?; so a different heading which emphasises the intended usage would be beneficial.

Paul

There will always be the diary aspect of what you put up as the underlying software is designed for blogging and is arranged by date. For something like the evolution of a layout its ideal anyway as you can look at the layout evolve over time if you start at the beginning. I use a blog for the club layout for this reason.

If people wanted to view only the 'wiring' related entries for example then that relies on my tagging or the categories introduced in the latest version.

To get rid of the diary aspect completely you'd be looking at just writing an article for modelling inspirations ;).

I think the critical bit is to blog your modelling activities of substance. Thinking about modelling or visiting a show and buying a coach might be modelling related but hardly of substance. Wheeltappers is only thread based and can be ignored in the forum structure if wanted.

Although I cannot disagree with the last paragraph, different people will value their achievements differently. For some, laying track on a board is a pretty big event in their modelling activities. For others, it is mere preparation.

EDIT: Poor grammar

Having had the hump about this for a few days I thought I'd drop by three blogs where I'd left comments referring the author to this topic. Guess what, there's no reply to my acidity in any of the three blogs and nor have the authors come back to me directly or in this topic. Which leads me to believe not even they read the effluent they produce or anyone who visits their blogs.

I don't think we should have to get drawn into defining what a blog should contain; as long as it's to do with railways, modelling or something else interesting to readers it's cool. Some folk just need their shytefilters adjusting.

...I think the critical bit is to blog your modelling activities of substance. Thinking about modelling or visiting a show and buying a coach might be modelling related but hardly of substance. Wheeltappers is only thread based and can be ignored in the forum structure if wanted...

I agree that the definitive description of a 'RM Web' blog is 'Modelling activities of substance' (to expand the quote above). After all is that not the primary reason for this forum?

I also spend quite a lot of time (probably more than I should!) in Wheeltappers, and enjoy the varied topics and discussions raised there but choose the ones I want to follow/participate in. However, I know that I can easily ignore those that don't interest me. Maybe that is the best place for the type of posts Andy Y is referring to as 'rubbish' can be ignored.

However, I also accept the point that such 'vapour' blogs take up server storage/bandwidth which adds to the cost of keeping this resource afloat and therefore should be 'actively discouraged' (and probably this post has added to that!), so I'll get my coat!

Although I cannot disagree with the last paragraph, different people will value their achievements differently. For some, laying track on a board is a pretty big event in their modelling activities. For others, it is mere preparation.

But the whole point is made there "laying track on a board" IS modelling and not only that, seeing and reading further content on why the track was laid and how the layout progressed is very much about what is best on this site. Sure we would all like to be able to produce to the same standard and speed as Chris N. but lets face it, the vast majority simply aspire to that level, hoping that by reading his blog something might rub off on us. I still think there is space for everyone on the condition it has some level of modelling and is a progress of sorts.

I have no issue with "I bought a box at xyz show" (after all that is exactly how my blog starts) but I want to see something done with the purchase - even if it is just "this is how I converted it to EM" - though simple for some others might be wondering how to do that. Pictures are the key - and preferably at least nearly in focus.

• RMweb Gold

Tell you what chaps, once I get in from work this evening, I'll make a thread up with my experiences, and some bits of code for people to indulge in with explanations as to how to use them. I'll throw in my category headers for people to download and do as they like with too.

Sound good?

That would be great :-)

Challenge is then how to get people to actually read it. Could a link or pop-up be provided when you click "compose new entry" - or maybe even make a "sticky" blog with guidelines/instructions on the community blog page? Depending on whether the software allows, of course.

In any case, thanks Andy for taking this up :imsohappy:

I have to say that I really don't like the entries which comprise of a teaser then invite you to 'click here for full content'. If Mr Nevard and DesA can cut + paste (or however they do it) the full entry from an external blog into an RMWeb blog then why can't everyone else?

Can't agree more Paul. Smacks of using the forum purely as a source of traffic to 3rd party websites, which if done using a thread post would generally be considered 'spam'.

An interesting point Paul, and I suspect you're not alone. However, TBH I'm not fazed by teaser trailers on blogs, as long as the teaser has sufficient meat or intrigue to make me want to follow it up - it's only one click away among hundreds (thousands?!) I'll make in a day on a multitude of sites.

ISTR that initially Andy didn't want links to external blogs which was an understandable position. The decision - or was it a gradual evolution(?) - towards allowing them via a teaser must have slipped past me during the last 12-18 months while I was out of the loop.

The reason I started an external blog was because copyright discussions on the forum at the time prompted Andy to lay down some sensible and perhaps long-overdue house rules. I know where I stand in law (though I've still tripped up a couple of times), but I didn't want to put Andy in an awkward or embarrassing position, so the decision to use an external host was an easy one. My RMWeb blogs withered while I was out of the loop, and on my recent return I pollarded them severely. Now that meaty teaser trailers are allowed I've some ideas on not only how to incorporate an existing external blog within the RMWeblog framework without compromising the above issues, but also how to incorporate things on it that won't feature on the external site, thereby making it potentially more attractive (I hope!) and without it falling foul of the perception raised by Jamie. Perhaps it's time to raise the Titanic.

• RMweb Gold

As a blog "author" I've been following this thread with interest. I say "author" although in reality it's more like occasional rambler.

I did think about starting a thread rather than a blog when I was first thinking about setting one up but the blog suits my sporadic posting better and is easier for me to manage. The content doesn't get bogged down by comments and I also like the more defined, chronological layout a blog offers over a thread. I hope that occasionally there is something useful in my blog or that someone else is encouraged to try something they might not have considered. I know I have thanks to some of much better blogs here than mine!

I do understand Andy's frustration with some of the content that is posted under the pretence of a blog entry. I wonder if some people set up a blog because they know if they post this stuff on the board it would be deleted, but it is annoying when you have to sort through the dross to get to the high quality stuff. There have been some good suggestions about how to limit the former, however I can't help think an occasional purge of some of the less useful blogs might be the best way to discourage people from posting random tripe?

Tom.

True but you can still provide substance more and above "look what I done, track on board". Talk about checking for clearances, usage of sidings in operating the track layout, view points and view blockers. You can normally produce something thought provoking about even the basic jobs with a bit of effort.

I normally keep a blog in draft mode for a couple of days before publishing while I reread and think about it. Some have been drafts for ages while I build up more content on the subject to 'finish' them.

I don't think anyone wants 'the quality police' to decide worthiness of blogs just a bit more though about personal filtering as Andy said.

As we don't have a dislike button I suppose the report button could help guage peoples thoughts on a blog though im not sure if Andy and the mods want lots of people reporting blogs?

To copy the content from an external blog, whether Wordpress of Blogger. Create the post as nomal in the third party blog edit page including any photos etc. Once happy whilst still on the edit page, copy the whole page and any imagery, then paste into a new RM web blog post. Simple.

You might need to tweak the formatting a little, often an extra carriage return appears which effects pargraph spacing - easily addressed. Photos surrounded with text wrapped to the left or right do not transfer across, but will appear in the middle with any previously wrapped text above and below.

The whole process should take no more than a few seconds.

Hope this helps with people that run independent blogs but maybe due to lack of time or haven't known how to recreate them here on RM web easily.

• RMweb Gold

Having had the hump about this for a few days I thought I'd drop by three blogs where I'd left comments referring the author to this topic. Guess what, there's no reply to my acidity in any of the three blogs and nor have the authors come back to me directly or in this topic. Which leads me to believe not even they read the effluent they produce or anyone who visits their blogs.

I don't think we should have to get drawn into defining what a blog should contain; as long as it's to do with railways, modelling or something else interesting to readers it's cool. Some folk just need their shytefilters adjusting.

Why not just delete 'said' blog entrys Andy...then if you get a PM about it...you can really let rip... :angry:

• RMweb Gold

For me as a reader I find Blogs a useful format when about a project especially if there is a clue in the headings as to what each post covers that way you can look back through them for a particular topic. Whereas a thread is particulaly good at a subject. Also the thread format seems to invite participation. If the thread topic is say baseboards for an exhibition layout I feel free to throw in my comments and photos etc. If however the Thread topic is 'My layout' you feel less inclined to add your bits and pieces. It seems to be Blogs and the My Modelling threads that have the odd musings and comments such as 'good modelling' which while useful at the time (feedback is important) are not worthy of long term retention.

The trouble is in say a blog you may recieve several comments of the 'nice one sort' which could be dumped later but how do you do that without losing the odd valuable comment such as 'try doing it this way' or 'replacement parts can be obtained from here'.

Similarly the subject type threads are often re-runs of things asked before. Perhaps we could make it easier to find threads covering previous topics. It probably is but is it easy for those new to RMweb who really just want an answer. Perhaps we just have to live with covering the same ground again and again as the price of accessability.

For me RMweb is like a whole bunch of mates and I would rather have poor quality blogs etc than have people frightened to have their say.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Guess what, there's no reply to my acidity in any of the three blogs

That struck me too Andy - smacks of plain rudeness and suggests that the authors don't really care what you or the wider readership think. Common courtesy would necessitate a reply at least .....

Or they're slightly embarrassed by the (negative) attention. As I said somewhere earlier in this topic, I'm not overly bothered if they are - generally we know who to nurture and nudge - but playing D.A again, just in case....

• RMweb Gold

At least one of the bloggers in Andy's original hit-list has been contributing elsewhere on RMWeb, so I suspect ignorance remains bliss. I think Andy has been very restrained. Some Forum Owners might have sent a PM in unambiguous - but entirely managerial - tones, with full & frank comments and, er, suitable advice.

Looking at some more recent entries this morning gives me the impression that a few others have not seen this thread!

I must admit that since I have started my blog I now prefer them to the traditional style thread forums.(Just my personal preference that's all)

Cheers!

Frank

Similarly the subject type threads are often re-runs of things asked before.

This is true. I wonder if this is where the 'Special Interest' Groups might serve a very useful purpose. A recurring question is "where can I find a car spraycan that matches LMS lake. This info could be made once and for all in the LMS Coaching Stock Group, and so it goes.

On a related topic, I seem to remember being asked if I wanted to start an LNER Coaching Stock Group. At the time I was involved in the LMS Coaching Group and was awaiting developments. No one else showed any interest when I passed it to them and there was even a recent suggestion that we don't need one because of an LNER forum in another place. Do folk on here feel an LNER Coaching Stock Group should be on home ground, ie RMweb?

• RMweb Gold

The existence of Other Places does not need to prevent RMWeb from running its own thread/blog/Group, whatever, on pretty much any subject. They typically will complement each other. I always recommend SEmG for Southern matters, but am more than happy to join in Southern threads on here - why not? My observation is that there are some superb LNER modellers on here - they positively deserve to have a coach thread, surely?

I find that the lack of comments is the only reason putting me off starting a blog, would it not help if on the homepage more than 5 recent blog entries can be added, as I often find good blog posts with that, but only having 5 displayed isn't going to help the viewing figures. I mean the calender takes up almost the rest of that column yet I have not yet once clicked on a calender event for details.

Archived