Blog quality

• RMweb Gold
Hope it's okay Nick, it's pretty basic what I've gone through, but it does offer one way of doing it.
Simon (S.A.C Martin) and I decided to split the task of producing a tutorial on blog indexes and contents lists between us. You can now find two tutorials with added suggestions from others in How to Index a Blog in the How-to section.

Nick

Gents, thank you! Thats going to come in very useful when I get 5 minutes to sit down & index my blog.

Tom.

I keep thinking about starting a blog, but two things stop me - I don't know if my entries would be of suitable content, and secondly I wouldn't know how to start.

I'm of the thinking that my any first time blog entry, is submitted to the moderators before publishing.

It is also worth remembering the derivation of "blog" as a contraction of the words web log, something that I find useful.

P.S. sorry if this is drivel. :)

• RMweb Gold

I keep thinking about starting a blog, but two things stop me - I don't know if my entries would be of suitable content, and secondly I wouldn't know how to start.

I'd be happy to help if you need some assistance to get started. Just send me a PM if/when you're ready :locomotive:

Catkins, once you have sorted out the mechanics of uploading words and pictures the rest is relatively simple.

Think of what you're saying as a story. Get your thoughts on screen as quickly as possible (ignore spelling etc for the time-being), then re-read it all. Does it convey what you want to tell folk in an easy and readable manner? If not, then reshuffle the paragraphs and sort out punctuation and spelling. Upload your pictures then insert them between the words as appropriate. Fnally press submit and keep your fingers crossed! :good_mini:

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if there should be a more comprehensive guide to acceptable content, other than that which is already there, that has to be read before a blog can be created? Perhaps with links to several good quality, well written but diverse entries? I find that a lot of the type of entries that are being discussed here are written by newbies to the forum.

I know that there will be some that will not bother to read it, but some might and it could help newbies understand what kind of standard is expected from a blog entry.

(I've resurrected this thread due to a couple of recent blog entries that had me hitting 'report').

I do agree Paul; the only problem is that they'll ignore it - the same as this topic.

It's easier for us just to delete them as they're flagged up rather than getting hung up on it. (Deleted 6 today) :)

I do agree Paul; the only problem is that they'll ignore it - the same as this topic.

It's easier for us just to delete them as they're flagged up rather than getting hung up on it. (Deleted 6 today) :)

Yes Andy, I think that your probably right.

It really is a shame that you're having to waste time deleting stuff that shoudn't be posted in the first place. I take my hat of to you!

Part of the problem is that Andy has come up against (the same problem that many diary keepers come up against) - it is very easy to start off with good intentions, but eventually the diary-keeper(BLOGGER) runs out of anything different to say, and it deteriorates into a load of semi-meaningless drivel/diary of no real interest to anyone, much like many entries in Farcebook. There are few people who have a genuine writing ability gene built into their brains, The fact that replies don't appear within the blog itself, unlike a thread, means that there is little to spark the bloggers imagination and thought process. I must admit that I VERY rarely bother to look in a blog - possibly Mr CN is an exception, 98% of others are no more than an egotistical waste of band-width - and I'm not just refering to ones on RMweb. I know that that isn't what Andy wants to hear or hoped for when he set up the facility, but it is the unfortunate truth.

As I see it the problem is that most members produce quality Blogs, well worth reading and with relevant info. Some others might provide 'chaf' (to be polite!).

If you have to trawl a fair amount of 'chaf' (and Andy Y has already stated that as at midday today he had deleted some 6 posts) before you find the quality ones, most folks will give up??

So Shortliner is maybe on the right tracks (OK I'll get my coat for that pun :laugh_mini2: )

One possible approach for those who fear that the blogs are largely "rubbish" is to use a little statistical analysis, then read some of the more attractive blogs selected on that basis (rather than dismissing them all unread...).

Looking at the bottom of the blogs page, there are totals for numbers of blogs, entries and comments. Currently they indicate that there are just under a thousand blogs, with just over seven entries each, and about three comments per entry.

Assuming that the number of comments per entry is a reasonable indication of the interest in that entry, you can set yourself a cutoff - for example by ignoring any blog with less than three comments per entry most blogs of "below average interest" should be eliminated . And moving to the "All Blogs" page allows you to see the same statistics for each blog, and select the ones likely to be of interest.

Similarly you might decide to ignore all blogs with less than seven entries, in order to eliminate all the "shorter than average" ones.

Conversely, reversing the selection criteria would probably be a good way for moderators to look for potentially uninteresting ones - those with less than three comments per entry.

There are potential problems with this, on both sides:

"Newcomers" may be ignored, if members only look for long-standing blogs, and thus never trigger enough comments per entry to qualify as "potentially interesting",

Numbers of comments per entry can be inflated, by deliberately making controversial entries, or by replying to your own blog.

From my own perspective, my blog is currently of about average length, and has received rather more than average number of comments per entry. I will continue to monitor that number, and if it falls below average I will ask myself if it is worth continuing (before a moderator asks me the same question...).

David

One possible approach for those who fear that the blogs are largely "rubbish" is to use a little statistical analysis, then read some of the more attractive blogs selected on that basis (rather than dismissing them all unread...).

Looking at the bottom of the blogs page, there are totals for numbers of blogs, entries and comments. Currently they indicate that there are just under a thousand blogs, with just over seven entries each, and about three comments per entry.

Assuming that the number of comments per entry is a reasonable indication of the interest in that entry, you can set yourself a cutoff - for example by ignoring any blog with less than three comments per entry most blogs of "below average interest" should be eliminated . And moving to the "All Blogs" page allows you to see the same statistics for each blog, and select the ones likely to be of interest.

Similarly you might decide to ignore all blogs with less than seven entries, in order to eliminate all the "shorter than average" ones.

Conversely, reversing the selection criteria would probably be a good way for moderators to look for potentially uninteresting ones - those with less than three comments per entry.

There are potential problems with this, on both sides:

"Newcomers" may be ignored, if members only look for long-standing blogs, and thus never trigger enough comments per entry to qualify as "potentially interesting",

Numbers of comments per entry can be inflated, by deliberately making controversial entries, or by replying to your own blog.

From my own perspective, my blog is currently of about average length, and has received rather more than average number of comments per entry. I will continue to monitor that number, and if it falls below average I will ask myself if it is worth continuing (before a moderator asks me the same question...).

David

Well, having applied your criteria to my blog, perhaps I should give up now. It receives limited replies at times, it does in fact fall foul of your 3 comments per entry 'rule' however it is the seventh most viewed on here, so either it's rubbish or the number of comments is really not a gauge to contents?

I am afraid I am in agreement with Jack's post above though perhaps not with the statistics.

I am another who visits blogland on RMWeb and also tried it and couldn't get on with it (for reasons the majority do not experience/understand/or couldn't care less about)

It has occasional venture in that area is governed really by trying to keep up with a very few well known excellent blogs. On most other occasions I have ventured there following an enticing link in VNC, I seem to come across much less worthy content - or it simply is not written in a style that holds my attention, inclines me to participate or comment and rarely memorable enough a story to have me watching out for the next installment.

The fact that blogs do not function for me is a large deterrent from using them even in the knowledge I am probably missing a lot of really excellent modelling. Sadly due to the way the software seems to isolate the blogs (and for me excludes participation) means that I do not go there.

On the subject of poor content in topics, sure it happens - maybe just as much, but at least a topic only keeps rising to the surface (VNC) due to other or main contributors adding to the topic. With blogs they happen as a one shot (RS Fetcher) and are then lost even if they are a hot bed of comment. Also the blogs are very disjointed I find this even with the best menu intentions added. At least with a topic once it falls off the end of the current VNC it is out of sight until revived. Forgotten about by the OP as much as everyone else.

Then one of my favourite dislikes (and it applies to topis almost as much) a link off to a blog in some other awkward part of the internet.

I think a few layout threads could do with some similar quality application. These posts, for example...

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__540695

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__550466 (and the one directly below)

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__552939 (and the one directly below)

Apologies, sometimes when your typing and posting you don't realise that you've double posted and rambled on a little. Constructive criticism is always welcome with me. I'll have a tidy up and clean the thread.

Archived