5 Inch Gauge Manor Overhaul

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks, hadn't noticed the posts on here, was just tipped off by somebody saying that people were asking if there was any progress to report, well, answer to that is yes and no.....!

Not long after making my last post on here another engine came my way at a sensible price, and, considering the level of work required to the Manor to get it back in tip top condition and with the modifications I would like to make to it the Manor has been set to one side for a couple of months whilst a quick re-paint and light 'bottom end overhaul' take place to the new engine. Much of this work is now done, so work on the Manor shall resume shortly. The new purchase is a 32XX, I have only ever seen one other in 5" gauge which was one of the main reasons for purchasing it, the second reason was that it would be a much quicker job than the Manor thus giving me a GW engine to enjoy alongside the O2 this coming season.

Couple of pics of the 32 below:

dscf8916.jpg

As purchased, a little worn, engine and tender two different shades of green applied with a 3" brush, in need of a 'freshen up'

dscf8926q.jpg

The cab as purchased, regulator seized in open position, horrid horrid horrid fittings!! The red line on the pressure gauge, don't ask, it will have pulled well at that pressure though! The regulator is now freed off, the manifold modified to take GW type fittings, the blower valve is now in the correct location on the backhead and a new more scale like regulator handle that will be in the right position when 'shut', rather than vertical as current, is under construction.

img01083201202181230.jpg

The coupling rod bearings were somewhat worn....

dscf9013e.jpg

The knuckle joints in particular were very heavily worn, upon dismantling the reason soon became clear, there was no bearing within the joint, just running steel to steel... The worn holes in the rods were reamed out and a bronze bush made and pressed into the inner part of the joint, a new pin was then made to suit as a press fit into the outer section of the knuckle. One of the old pins is in the middle of the photo where a ridge can be seen where the wear has taken place.

dscf9023s.jpg

Completed new bearing and knuckle joint.

dscf9018n.jpg

The tender has now been repainted into BR green, just awaiting painting of the buffer beam and the application of a nice big early crest!

img01095201202241828.jpg

As things stand at the moment (poor picture, sorry!) New cabside plates are on order, the present ones make no attempt at replicating the distinctive GW plates. Boiler is awaiting hydraulic test this weekend then hopefully I should be able to re-fit cladding, paint, plumb up new cab fittings and throw a fire in it, well, that is the plan anyway........!

The only other work that has taken place on the Manor was to have nearly completed the eccentric straps and to drop the boiler back in the frames to save space as the loco rack was a little full. If I can get the 32 finished before the end of March then it will give me 4-5 months to really press on with the Manor to see if I can complete it in time for Gilling at the end of August, I find it easier to press on in the warmer/lighter months when popping into the workshop seems a little more inviting than on a dark cold winter evening when it is all too easy to end up watching tv.......!

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress over the last fortnight, only 3 weeks to go now before the engine is supposed to be complete and running down in Kent............ Eeeeeeek!

imag0067w.jpg

Boiler passed hydraulic test with flying colours last weekend.

img6134p.jpg

The new cabside number plates etched by a friend who does such things, proper job!

imag0125wi.jpg

As things stand this evening, working on the backhead and new pipework. Unfortunately I have just run out of 5/32 pipe so can't make the injector steam pipes until I have obtained some more tomorrow. The R/H pipe was just a test/bodge with the last piece I had which obviously is too short just to see if the bends look right.

Time is running out, lots to be done, need to get cracking!!!

Made a little bit of progress, running plates now painted, managed to obtain some 5/32" pipe and made the injector steam pipes. Work now to progress on getting smokebox door number plate brackets made and soldered to smokebox so it can be painted, re-fitting the cladding and removing the last bits of paint ready for painting. In an ideal world a steam test within a fortnight but we shall see....!

imag0127ov.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very nearly finished now, supposed to be running in Kent Friday and Saturday, as of yet it hasnt been test steamed, still has a few odds and sods to be bolted on and some sort of footrest arrangement needs to be made and fitted to the tender so I can drive it at ground level, to make things more interesting I'm at work tomorrow............! Nothing like cutting it fine!

imag0201x.jpg

Well she made it down to Kent in time, just, but unfortunately due to a leak from a top feed fitting that wasn't possible to fix 'on site' meant she couldn't run, had to run the O2 instead. As soon as I have sorted the leak out then it is time to dig the Manor back off the storage rack and crack on with it, August is very rapidly approaching and I would like to have her done for then :)

s5c9491.jpg

Gday all.

Good to see the progress cracking on there mike, sure a quick turn around time! Maybe bring it down to coate on 21stif you can make it?

Would look great if i can rustle up a load of wagons from Nigel. If not, look forward to it at greystones, pair it with pauls A!

Looks like we get a real GL5 posse on here!

Keep us posted.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Mark, it had to make rapid progress as I didn't want it to distract from the Manor too much! Seeing as my work cirumstances have changed recently I now have a lot more time available to spend in the workshop so getting the Manor finished for the end of August is suddenly a possibility again!

Mike

Looks good. It should clank a lot less with the new bushes in the rods, and the new bush and pin for the forked joint! I was watching a youtube video the other day about how the LMS could do a major overhaul in a few days at most. All the bushes and bearings replaced, boiler checked inside and out, the works. Of course they had many skilled men working 24 hours a day so we don't need to feel too bad :)

Regards,

David.

• 2 months later...

Well, having got the 32 out of the way I have only just got round to digging the Manor down from her place upon the storage rack where she has been sat for the last 6 months, unfortunaltely she is still just as worn out as the day I put her up there, wonder why that is.....! Have re-freshed my memory with it and got back up to speed so to speak, not a single pin or bush in the valve gear is re-usuable if a proper job is to be done so there is going to be a lot of work in this one....! Below is an ammusing picture of the trailing axleboxes that have really really suffered from the ingress of ash whilst running many thousands of miles......!

img00760201111031854.jpg

imag0398p.jpg

Back on the bench at last this evening, now with all of the valve gear removed.

Cheers,

Mike

Very nearly finished now, supposed to be running in Kent Friday and Saturday, as of yet it hasnt been test steamed, still has a few odds and sods to be bolted on and some sort of footrest arrangement needs to be made and fitted to the tender so I can drive it at ground level.....

imag0201x.jpg

You'll need to add a pair of sandboxes (and their feed tubes) behind the rear pair of driving wheels - 3206 was one of the batch that had them.

Hi MIKE, Nice work can you tell me how that knukkle joint on the 32xx is held together it looks quite nice, might make one for my manor, Also if you are thinking of fitting roller bearings to your axleboxs then i have the M E articles by barry neville showing drgs ect for the hall class in 5 inch gauge,Ill send them to you if they are of use. Garry

Wasn't aware of the sandbox variations Horsetan, interesting. unfortunately I really can't see me going to the effort of making those though now, have spent too much time on that engine as it is and am more than glad it is pretty much finished so I can crack on with other many projects!

Garry, The knuckle joint is a tight fit in the fork part of the joint as you would expect but is countersunk at the rear, the rear being left 15 thou longer than the fork. Pop joint together, use a tapered punch in the countersink to expand the end of the pin outwards (hence the allowance of the 15 thou on pin) and then pop a countersunk 7ba screw through with a nut on the outside to secure and look more like the real thing, the countersink head of a 7ba screw is just the right size to stop the rear of the joint that has been expanded outwards from working itself loose, that's the theory anyway, hope it makes sense, dont think I have any pictures of the rear of the joint unfortunately. If you are able to scan those articles detailing the roller bearing axleboxes that would be great, I have a good few of the Grange articles but none detailing axleboxes unfortunately, seems to be the way to go, should be very free running.

How are you getting on with yours, took any pics yet?! ;) Looking forward to seeing it!

Mike

Hi Mark, Mine is 7815 Fritwell manor as built in 1939,a while off as the boiler should be ready middle of next year, a scale one like mike has, not a martin evans one,so with luck its gilling next year,and with all the work that mike has to do i reckon he will be there with his manor too.

Hello Mike.

Not to hi-jack your thread, finally got hold of my son to upload some pics for you, thought I'd post them here!

Just one of the loco and tender. post-9174-0-89806700-1340472958_thumb.jpg post-9174-0-74407400-1340473052_thumb.jpg

Garry. MSWJR

Garry, that is looking absolutely superb!!! Really look forward to seeing that at Gilling. There is an event at a private railway weekend of 22nd July near Bath if you have a working loco and fancy a break from workshop/play? If you are interested let me know, owner of railway always likes to see different faces/engines at his events, John is popping down for it too with Galloping Gertie believe it or not!!!

Keep up the good work!

Mike

Loks like i'll miss a good bash down with you and everyone else at greystones then mike! Lancaster Mainline event beckons though! Though if the weather is rubbih we'll drop down instead ;)

Hi garry, that really is superb, if we get mikes, the other two and yours to gilling we'll truly have a line up! Might have to build some GW coaches then.... Got toploight slip under development... Pehaps????

Cheers

Mark

Archived