THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Have to say that I'm very impressed with your re-configured storage yard which I have been following with great interest. The current fiddle yard that I have just recently completed is very similar in design but not to the same size that you have at your disposal and with this I mind I have included a transverser at the head of the main siding allowing the locomotive to run round the yard without having to lift an expensive 7mm model 

post-5136-0-26371300-1537715555_thumb.jpg

post-5136-0-46271400-1537716516_thumb.jpg

What I have also included at the reverse end of the yard is a loco lift which enables me to turn a steam locomotive around with out the need to hand them . 

post-5136-0-72476200-1537715842_thumb.jpg

post-5136-0-11637800-1537715913_thumb.jpg

post-5136-0-00100600-1537715960_thumb.jpg

The above photographs give you some idea as to what I have constructed and how it fits into the general plan for my own kick back sidings. In the final photograph I have included a programming track that can be insulated from the main layout by simply realising the rod and plunger connectors. 

Just thought you might like to see this idea in case you fancy including something similar to your own kick back sidings 

Really enjoy your updates to this wonderful layout 

• Like 9

Hello gismorail. Thank you for including the photos of your fiddle yard which I like. As you say yours is similar in design to mine with kick back sidings etc. I have been giving serious thought to including a traverser at the end of the yard but so far nothing has been done about this. I might just use a spare loco to haul the train out on its next run and then use the train engine as the spare. This would work but I would need a second Black 5 or similar which is an expensive option. I think that eventually a traverser will win.

Thank you for your kind comments on Ramchester and don't forget to PM me if you would like to see the layout in the flesh.

Rod

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The fiddle yard has, at last, been finished thanks to a session Howard and I had this afternoon. Here are a couple of photos of the finished yard which has been tested and has passed with flying colours. The only thing left to do is to provide some sort of soft foam "buffer stops" in case an errant loco fails to stop in time and ploughs into the back support of the tunnel scenery. 

post-13361-0-73347200-1539027111_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-17413200-1539027168_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Rod

• Like 16

True, Peco track has 3-bolt chairs. And weird sleeper spacing. Most regrettable!

I did think about trying to get some scale GW pattern track panels made whilst I was living in India, but only got as far as thinking, regrettably. I suspect it might have sold quite well.

Never mind, road to hell, etc...

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

Agreed.

As the GWR BLT etc etc is so popular in 4mm & 7mm, it surprises me that RTR/RTL track didn't follow suit in terms of it being GWR/WR. Even C&L missed out on that trick, so did Marcway in more recent times (with both of their flexi track ranges).

Back on topic now.

Regards to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

My friend Peter dropped down earlier this week with his latest work. At Telford this year I picked up some figures from Modelu for Peters loco. These were unpainted but that is what Peter wanted. He has since painted these and installed them in his Peckett and he brought it along to show me. Of course I had to take some Photos of this loco now fitted with a crew and here they are.

post-13361-0-76035000-1539283525_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-36571000-1539283415_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-98708900-1539283461_thumb.jpg

He also had been busy building a conflat and container from a Parkside kit (now under the Peco label) and although not quite finished it certainly looks good. Again I took some photos to show you and I hope you like them.

post-13361-0-39382300-1539283584_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-46900600-1539283636_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-11832800-1539283731_thumb.jpg

More soon

Rod

• Like 14

I have just been down into Platform 2 for a little "play" which was very enjoyable. For some time now I have been meaning to ask about the servos in my signals but somehow I have not managed to raise it on here.

The servos work the signals and are controlled by a Megapoints gismo and they all work extremely well. However there is a steady sound of "clicking" all the time thepower is switched on. What I would like to know is this normal or have I done something I should not have done? I am sure that someone out there will know the answer as to what is happening so please help if you can. The clicking is not very noticeable when operating the layout but during lulls when trains are at rest or quietly hissing away the noise becomes more audible.

Rod

We're just waiting for somebody to bring out a RTR DMU which isn't bl##dy Western Region!!!!

Hello Howard, in the forth coming releases, the Dapol 122 bubbles could be found on the LMR & SCR, you could even stretch the time frame a bit for a Swindon 120 also  :imsohappy:

Best regards

Craig.

I have just been down into Platform 2 for a little "play" which was very enjoyable. For some time now I have been meaning to ask about the servos in my signals but somehow I have not managed to raise it on here.

The servos work the signals and are controlled by a Megapoints gismo and they all work extremely well. However there is a steady sound of "clicking" all the time thepower is switched on. What I would like to know is this normal or have I done something I should not have done? I am sure that someone out there will know the answer as to what is happening so please help if you can. The clicking is not very noticeable when operating the layout but during lulls when trains are at rest or quietly hissing away the noise becomes more audible.

Rod

Interesting Rod, may I ask what type of servo you are using, is it an anologue or digital servo as it can make a difference I'm lead to understand.

I have recently purchased his servo board and tried both types, upon using a digital servo I found there was a slight chatter whereas using a "cheapo" analogue there wasn't a problem.

If you speak with Dave Fenton at MegaPoints either directly or by e-mail he will most likely be able to answer your question regarding the clicking noise.

If you want to discuss it with him in person I understand he will be at the Taunton show at the end of this month.

Grahame

Hello Howard, in the forth coming releases, the Dapol 122 bubbles could be found on the LMR & SCR, you could even stretch the time frame a bit for a Swindon 120 also  :imsohappy:

Best regards

Craig.

These originally had a 'W' prefix. My 1984 ABC shows five had by then been changed to an 'M' prefix but when did that actually happen?

• Like 1

Thanks Grahame. I am hoping to visit the Taunton show with Howard and a couple of 00 fans so I will ask him. I am not sure whether the servos in use on Ramchester are DCC or analogue as they were part of the signals which were built for me by Jon Fitness.However the signals power unit is analogue (ex Maplins I think) which provides the current for the Megapoints unit and then on to the signals. I have to say that the "chatter is not too distracting but it is there and if I have done something wrong in the installation of the signals then the sooner I know the better.

See you at Taunton.

Rod

• Like 1

At Telford last month I purchased some engine crew from Detailed Miniatures. These models were featured in an earlier post together with some luggage and a platform barrow. All these models are excellent (usual disclaimer) and well worth what I paid for them. Since then they have been sitting wrapped up in their boxes awaiting fitting into the locos. Well I am pleased to say that thanks to Howard they are now safely installed into their respective cabs. Here are some pictures of them in the cabs of my two Jinty locos and the Black 5. I think they look very much at home and that they will do their very best to provide the citizens of Ramchester with a good service. 

First the Dapol Jinty.

post-13361-0-93130300-1539717330_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-48849100-1539717561_thumb.jpg

Next my San Cheng/Tower Brass Jinty.

post-13361-0-27869300-1539717790_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-61820900-1539717864_thumb.jpg

And finally my Black 5.

post-13361-0-67302000-1539717956_thumb.jpg

I am sorry that the picture quality is not up to my usual standard in particular the Black 5 for which I hope I will be forgiven.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Howard and I visited the Taunton exhibition last Saturday with two other friends and had a thoroughly enjoyable day. I had not intended to make huge purchases but for some time now Ramchester has been short of a brake van. The Slater's kit I had started seems to have stalled somewhat and my workmanship on it leaves a lot to be desired. Then when I heard that Dapol were to produce one I decided to add it to my stock. So it will be no surprise to you all that when I caught sight of several at the Taunton show on the C & L stand (I think), out came my credit card and a bauxite BR version found its way into my bag. 

Here are a couple of pictures of the van standing in the siding next to the coal yard

post-13361-0-74695100-1540842156_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-10583300-1540842217_thumb.jpg

Today Howard has been busy removing the overhead warning signs and has made a start on weathering it for me. I will post some pictures of it when he has finished his work with the paint brush. I also had a visit from Peter who brought his friend along who is German by birth but had lived in this country for about 30 Years so he speaks very good English. This turned out to be fortuitous as I discovered an electrical fault leaving the main line into Ramchester without power. Peter and his friend Frank got to work and traced the fault to a dry soldered joint which was soon put right. 

What a lucky chap I am to have good friends who can help me out of trouble when it rears its ugly head.

Rod

• Like 11

Nice Brake Van Rod, a lovely addition to the Fleet, and once a little grimy, it will be all the better. :sungum:

Agree with Andy on this Dapol seem to have done an excellent job on this model should sell well ...note to my self get one before they sell out .... :scared:  :scared: card credit carnage AGAIN !!!!

• Like 1

Agree with Andy on this Dapol seem to have done an excellent job on this model should sell well ...note to my self get one before they sell out .... :scared:  :scared: card credit carnage AGAIN !!!!

Think of Bond!     :O       You only live Twice, :no:     well once actually. :sungum:

• Like 1