THE RAMCHESTER CHRONICLES

HSB

Hi Martin.

All my Peco points on the main layout i.e. in the station area have been modified to reduce the wheel drop and to improve the appearance. The wing and check rails have had their ends straightened and other mods have been carried out. However these latest points are in the fiddle yard and at present I have no plans to alter them at all unless running gets so bad (unlikely) that I have to do something. Hope this answers your question.

Rod

Hi Rod,

Two Tone Green on here was showing some laser cut drop in pieces which reduce the wheel drop at the crossing nose of the Peco points, which improve running over them considerably.

I believe Parliamentary Trains supply them.

Jinty ;)

Hi Rod,

Two Tone Green on here was showing some laser cut drop in pieces which reduce the wheel drop at the crossing nose of the Peco points, which improve running over them considerably.

Jinty ;)

I've fitted them to Pen Y Bont, and they are really excellent IMHO.

• Like 1

Hi Martin.

All my Peco points on the main layout i.e. in the station area have been modified to reduce the wheel drop and to improve the appearance. The wing and check rails have had their ends straightened and other mods have been carried out. However these latest points are in the fiddle yard and at present I have no plans to alter them at all unless running gets so bad (unlikely) that I have to do something. Hope this answers your question.

Rod

Hi Rod, thanks, the Peco points have a heck of a drop in that area - due to their once multipurpose nature - and are known for derailments when setting back etc, hence my question. Kind regards, M.

Hi Rod,

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, I had heard someone did something like that. Rod you have some helpful followers on your Thread.....

I've fitted them to Pen Y Bont, and they are really excellent IMHO.

Always good to have a recommendation, thanks Andrew.

Atvb,

M.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

......BTW does anyone have an email for Parliamentary Trains? There doesn't seem to be one on their site and I wanted to ask a couple of Qs. Many thanks in anticipation.

I believe stephenweston of this parish is associated with parliamentary trains. Try PM'ing him. He might be away, as I haven't had a response to my query yet either.

I found an email on his topic feed, try this

Drop stops can be purchased by emailing stephen@parlytrains.co.uk

Dougal

Edited by Father Dougal

Has anyone got a photo of one of these gadgets? I've pinged PTs an email to see if they're safe/robust enough to use outside.

ATVB,

CME

Have a look at the peco set track thread, I think there are some pictures there. They appear to be laser cut wood, so might swell if they get wet.

Dougal

Thank you everyone for the information re point drop stops produced by Parliamentary Trains. These look really easy to fit as seen on Two Tone Green's thread (thanks Grahame for the link) and I hope that I can pick some up from Telford in a couple of weeks time for the fiddle yard points. All the points in the station area have already been modified as I glued strips of plastic card into the frog area to stop this very problem. If I had known that these were available I would have used them and saved myself a load of trouble.

Rod

Thank you everyone for the information re point drop stops produced by Parliamentary Trains. These look really easy to fit as seen on Two Tone Green's thread (thanks Grahame for the link) and I hope that I can pick some up from Telford in a couple of weeks time for the fiddle yard points. All the points in the station area have already been modified as I glued strips of plastic card into the frog area to stop this very problem. If I had known that these were available I would have used them and saved myself a load of trouble.

Rod

I doubt they were available five or six years ago when we modified the ones on Ramchester!

The problem with wheel drop is the result of the move to narrower wheels which I believe started with Slaters some years ago. If we were starting again we would probably use 0-MF standards which would eliminate the problem.

Thanks too everyone.

The main problem with Peco points Howard is that they're a bit of a curates egg. First designed with adjustable wing rails for both coarse and fine-scale......jack of all trades?

And the awful coffin masquerading as a FPL cover. 

A quick post to bring you up to date with the fiddle yard. All the track is laid but a couple of wires need soldering before full operation can take place. Attached is a photo taken from the rear of the tunnel. Picture quality not brilliant but it should give you the idea.

post-13361-0-00585700-1534686429_thumb.jpg

Hopefully all will be working tomorrow.

Rod

• Like 6

Howard called in this afternoon and helped me to finish the wiring up of the fiddle yard (the soldering was too far away from the front of the baseboard to allow me to do this). We then tested the yard to ensure that the wiring was complete and all was working well. Next we had a discussion about future developments which will mean some more minor alterations to the fiddle yard but more of this anon.

Rod

• Like 1

Had a further session this afternoon. Having altered the fiddle yard approach we got to doing a bit of thinking. One thing led to another and we decided to change a bit more of the yard to increase the length of the head shunt which provides access to the two kick back sidings. So out came the tools and cuts made in the rails leading to the kick back head shunt. The two kick back sidings were lifted and the point laid much closer to the approach track to the head shunt. The point on the head shunt still has to be lifted to allow us to line the track up with the existing head shunt. This point will be re-used on the next scheme of which nothing said at present. I have not had time to take a picture of this which in any case has only just begun but over the next few days I will post something to make this jumble of words much clearer - I hope.

More soon.

Rod

Here are the photos from my last post showing the changes to the fiddle yard. We still have to fix the micro switch in place and the point at the far right will be lifted and used elsewhere. This will give us a much easier alignment into the right hand siding.

post-13361-0-51036200-1535126338_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-91716600-1535126387_thumb.jpg

More soon.

Rod

• Like 10

A quick update on progress. Over the weekend I lifted the point on the far right of the fiddle yard and decided to look at what was possible. I laid the lifted point nearer the entrance and placed some track roughly in position to see how it looked. I felt that this would solve my problem and leave me a bit of space at the near end of the fiddle yard to do what I am thinking of in the future. It would mean lifting and replacing the micro switch to the other side of its point but this would not be a difficult job so here are a couple of pictures to show what I have in mind.

post-13361-0-60265400-1535393937_thumb.jpg

post-13361-0-11041300-1535393981_thumb.jpg

All for now.

Rod

• Like 13