West Fraddon & RSLR's Workbench - Building Buildings

RSLR

Hi,

I've come up with another new plan for a Home/Exhibition layout to have somewhere to run my growing fleet of trains (got to the point where I got too many trains and no where to properly run them). This new layout should allow me to use all the model railway junk I've been collecting over the years. Recycle parts of other things and use up the load of Code 75 track I've got.
The layout includes an up and down line and a branch line. Which in real life would lead down to a further station and docks for unloading of wagons filled with clay. This running into the the fiddle yard gives the advantage a loaded train goes down the branch and a empty train would return

To the other end of the layout is a creamery/dairy which enables me to run the growing fleet of milk tanks I have.
The station which will be the centre point of the layout allows me to show off some of my scratch built buildings (yet to be built), hand painted passengers, station staff, and furniture and of course run my mass of DMUs and passenger stock. it would also use a recently purchased footbridge kit. The goods shed located to the end of the station will allow me to run the mass trains of goods vans I have and use up this ratio goods shed kit I've been saving for a rainy day.
I have large industrial buildings, tunnels, bridges, houses and line side buildings I'm hoping to use. The layout's design allows for future extensions and open areas to be developed!

Since I'm not required elsewhere at the moment and it should provide a break from the prototypical model of Goonbarrow Jct and the fictional West Fraddon.

1505140_598436086871931_1701072988_n.jpg

I used a scale of 1'' = 1' estimating I can fit the largest standard radius curves in a 2' x 2' or so square equating to what ever radius that may be I roughly drawn on paper. Hopefully this shouldn't spoil the appearance of a Mk1 coach or DMU when going around the corner. Be a case of building up all the baseboards and playing around with some old track to see what it may look like.

Tip: Old track comes in handy for planning were the railway will go.

Because I don't really have one of these modern fangled computer track designing programs it's just a mater of looking at the space available and a standard track geometry system. All of the track plan books in this case all the Hornby track plans ever printed, two old Peco books and a ton of books all related to planning which include most of the ones which have been available so I think I'm quite well educated.
In my opinion the best a book can give is some ideas for your own plans unless your building an actual location or following plan exactly in the book. I do have a old 70s Hornby track stencil but using flexi track it isn't really good to use. On the Computer I have the two 'old' Hornby programs (bought them when I was younger) but they're not great. I would use a well known program to draw it all out and then print it but I don't have a copy of said program.

I'll probably refine the track layout later one when I've figured out where points might go and of course signals.

Any feedback is much appreciated

Cheers, Reece

Really like the plan, and you clearly have some good back thoughts on the whys and where fours, 

the space, and the cost are going to be big factors though. Shall look forward to your progression on this.

Hi Jaz,

Space and cost shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have a barn and a large workshop to build it, and it will brake down into four sections which would stack on one another for easy transport and storage. Costing shouldn't be too much of a major issue as it will be built over a period, I have buildings, scenery etc etc already and I run using a DCC system which I can simply unplug from one model and use on another. As posted trains are in abundance so rolling stock and locos wouldn't be a problem.

I already have the 4 boards in storage, just need a trip to a DIY shop for some wood. For the frames and a couple of panels of ply for the fascias and backgrounds. I may need some more points with motors and some odd electronic items.

I should think a reasonable budget would be around maybe £200 - £250 for the extra wood, track and motors etc over a mater of 6 months or so for build time. Sort of got it worked out because Christmas is soon (may get a small bit saved) and my birthday is between then which may speed up the process of funds. Start saving pocket money ahahahahaha lol

Cheers, Reece

• RMweb Gold

Reece,

I like the look of the plan.  I hate commenting on other people's plans as they know what they want.  Two points though.  The are no cross overs and run arounds, I assume that is because you are using diesels and they have been lifted with the end of steam.  The other is that the sidings are the opposite side of the main line to the goods shed and I assume that you will not want to store wagons fore the goods shed on that side. 

As I type I realise that if there is no cross over at all then the goods shed is only accessable from one line.

Finally, there is a free version of Anyrail which allows you up to 50 pieces of track or whatever.  You could probably plot yours out with that much.

Look forward to seeing this develop.

Hi,

Thanks for advice and kind comments, I'm still planning at the moment but I'll keep you updated on progress.

Reece,

I like the look of the plan.  I hate commenting on other people's plans as they know what they want.  Two points though.  The are no cross overs and run arounds, I assume that is because you are using diesels and they have been lifted with the end of steam.  The other is that the sidings are the opposite side of the main line to the goods shed and I assume that you will not want to store wagons fore the goods shed on that side. 

As I type I realise that if there is no cross over at all then the goods shed is only accessable from one line.

Finally, there is a free version of Anyrail which allows you up to 50 pieces of track or whatever.  You could probably plot yours out with that much.

Look forward to seeing this develop.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input it's given me some things to consider and think about. I think the main problem is I know were I want my trains to go but not really given much thought on how they might get there. Signalling, point work and the PW is a complicated but fascinating subject. I've there for been writing and drawing down some ideas on how it could work.

I have four different trains I might want to run. These include the passenger trains which would run to a busy exacting timetable on the up and down mainline, passing goods traffic, the milk train and the china clay trains which would be regular but run between mainline services. Also a DMU would run up and down the branch in addition to this. There is no run round loop in the station because this would have been removed when modern DMUs would have been brought into service. As you say I'm running diesels.

I've added catch points in on necessary (I believe are necessary) loops and sidings, there is also another at the start of the branch. I think these are the correct places to have them.

944821_598845903497616_716679976_n.jpg

I don't think I've got it completely right yet.

Cheers, Reece

• RMweb Gold

Reece,

I am not an expert in track plans but this seems to be fine. 

You have two sidings next to the bay but it is not clear to me what they are for.  Would they be better near the Goods Shed?

Also I assume that the line through the Goods Shed is longer than drawn so that a loco can pull stock past the point and then back into the other bay.

Will you be using Hornby's new China Clay hoppers or are they the wrong time period and will you be building your own?

Reece,

I am not an expert in track plans but this seems to be fine. 

You have two sidings next to the bay but it is not clear to me what they are for.  Would they be better near the Goods Shed?

Also I assume that the line through the Goods Shed is longer than drawn so that a loco can pull stock past the point and then back into the other bay.

Will you be using Hornby's new China Clay hoppers or are they the wrong time period and will you be building your own?

Hi Chris,

The two sidings towards the front are for use of china clay trains, storing them etc. I estimate the front board to be around 6ft long by 2ft wide. However this could change to accommodate the necessary track and accessories if need be. But a rough estimation the station would be just over half this size and the goods siding/yard around this again, the goods shed will be a GWR Ratio one I've been saving so it shouldn't take up too much room. I would guess the reason for the goods shed would be to serve local shops and businesses and so it wouldn't be too large anyway. The goods siding at least would be long enough to accommodate a diesel around 12'' long and a long goods train.

You assume correctly it will be allot bigger and slightly different configuration in shape as demonstrated by the original plan. Sorry the drawing isn't to scale :mail:

I have quite a number of different stock I could use including the newer CDAs (and a Class 66 and more modern image stock/traction to go with them), but my primary fleet is all BR blue 70s and 80s so I should think allot of sheeted china clay wagons 'Hoods' all 37 of them so far and more than a few Class 25s 'Rats' will be seen on the layout during a normal running session.

Considering the track layout wouldn't have changed much over the years I could change the era and run between late 1960s right through to the 1990s.

I do have some pre 1960s stock, the basic flat sheeted wagons and some vans that would have lasted until after 1973 (which allows me to use them during a later era) but only one loco suitable for running in that era (at present).

I could almost get away with a much earlier era because I own a large number of 1920s-1930s stock including the early POW china clay wagons, GW wagons/vans and few GWR panniers, china clay barrels and even a steam lorry for the road. However I'm limited by the lack of passenger stock - freight trains wouldn't be a problem though!

Cheers, Reece

Hi,

After giving some thought to the actual scale of what could be on the plan, I've found that a 3ft long station simply isn't long enough and so I'll be adding another section of board between to increase the size. This will mean that the overall length of the layout will be increased from 10ft to a more realistic 16ft as well. This has the advantage that the layout will now be capable of supporting not only longer trains but have a reasonable station length of at least 6ft, the goods yard will also be capable of handling a longer goods train and more space will be left for structures.

I decided on this since noting passenger trains on the mainline are relatively long and noticing my DMUs are at least 2 car. But what happens should I want to run more in multiple or run a 6 car unit. The same would apply for a passenger train, six coaches or more is a reasonable length.
This adjustment will allow a longer more realistic sized china clay train to be accommodated and I could make use of all my 37 clay hoods. (which all will not easily fit on West Fraddon)

At the far left end of the layout I have a good idea of a bridge I want to include but I'm not sure if I want a point at the bottom (closer to the front) which leads off down the branch which means a double line bridge for the mainline and a single line bridge for the branch. Or to have the point towards the top (closer to the back on the other side) of the bridge leading off down the branch which means I will only have one bridge to build.

Talking Track (I've added a title to this section after realising I was waffling on)

I've also given some more thought to the track style, where I used to live (Near Carpella, Foxhole on the Drinnick mill branch), quite a bit of the track towards the bottom end was steel sleepered track, I would like to represent this on the branch and seeing as it's now available from Peco in code 75 it should be ideal. On the mainline section of track I did think about trying some of the more modern concrete section but unsure yet.
I have my mind set on 70s - 80s BR blue era which shouldn't effect my judgment on track too much, steel sleeper track has been around a long time the idea being it can be used on lighter lines. The concept initially used by the GWR I believe (although this being slightly different configuration from today's track). Concrete sleeper track is mainly used on today's lines with the Pandrol clip system. Originally being used with chairs, the general idea is it lasts longer than wood because basically wood rots, and compacts or 'squashes' after a while with frequent use and needs replacing more often. Concrete is more weatherproof (to an extent) and eliminates this need to replace often, it can also be easily prefabricated in sections and simply laid in section by section (almost like train set track!) (although this not being a new idea either) then joined together, this is done by thermite welding today, although thermite welding not being a new idea for joining rail. Welding the rail eliminates the problem known as dropped joints in the track, where the rail head gets squashed at each joint, this happens when the wheels of the train goes down into the joint of each section squashing the rail ends and creating a dip. The rails of yesteryear are joined by the use of fishplates, with dropped joints being more common. However on some of today's lighter used routes there are still fishplates in use.
It all comes down to maintenance costs and times on the railway today with newer methods, technologies and machines in use to maintain, repair and replace the track. Years ago it was standard practice to have a PW gang (of 6 or more if I remember right) or Platelayers every few miles of line, the gang were in charge of maintaining their section of line to a set standard this included sleepers, levels, joints, ballast and maintaining the section of line's surroundings this included cutting the grass and removing any obstructions, in the days of steam the grass and vegetation was cut and kept short to prevent it from catching fire. Should a passing train drop any hot cinders from the firebox bottom grate or hot ash blown though the tubes into the smoke box and out the chimney onto the vegetation or surroundings, keeping the line's surroundings well kept and maintained prevents a fire from happening.
When diesel traction gradually replaced steam there was no need to keep the line side as maintained as it once was and naturally this encourages the growth of plants etc so railway's became more 'scenic' haha
Shortly after, prefabricated track sections were more commonly used and this eliminated the need for platelayers (on the mainlines at least). To monitor the track work a train is sent over the with equipment onboard any any discrepancies or imperfections recorded and later noted. Any areas noted are then surveyed and work can be carried out on that specific section. Today there is a similar train although everything is recorded computer and they're able to monitor to a finer standard with laser scanning and high tec camera technologies which can record the entire train's journey down to a millimetre accuracy. There are today various gauging trains which monitor the loading gauges, track gauges, distances and the distances between structures etc. All data collected of which goes towards a more safe, efficient and maintained railway system.

Back to what I was on about

I will draw up a better to scale and updated plan of the layout, with various details noted and all the sizes on paper. The dimensions of bridges, crossings, specifications of curves and platform sizes will all be drawn to scale on the plan. I will also make note of how the layout will be built and put together, I'm yet to think of a efficient construction method and how to join the boards together so they can be disassembled for easy storage and transportation to exhibitions.

On a different subject I had my new KMRC 'Special Edition' Bachmann St Blazey Haulier Train Pack arrive on Tuesday.
One of the clay hoods is a UCV with yellow stripe (for travelling up country to paper mills etc). The other is a OOV. The set includes the standard Bachmann BR livery 'clean' brakevan not currently available separately in their range, the model includes no vacuum pipe or brake cylinder (or any brake gear apart from the shoes on the wheels). The hoods include the brake cylinder and gear but there are no vacuum pipes or linkages (this is due to them being a older moulding). The 08 should have pipes but due to the age of the model's moulding it doesn't.
Superb set though and I think it will be an ideal detailing project, myself having worked on the prototype I'm picky and believe such things should be there! (I can see a detailing project for myself coming soon!).

Maybe I should do one of these youtube reviews lol ^

988380_599650806750459_1639908805_n.jpg

Cheers, Reece

• 4 weeks later...

Goings ons

Well not much has happened over the last few days/weeks/months with christmas been and gone, new year etc now we are obviously in 2014 I've just been sitting around thinking and accumulating supplies for the new project and planning. (mainly refreshing myself on model railway construction) As well as getting together some bits to fix and finish off the clay drys on West Fraddon.

Just some things about being deep in thought and the amount of Trek on tv at the moment plus the rain outside and myself having little or no contact with the outside world. Seems to be cold so I'm going to save some more funds and wait for a brighter day before doing anything. The workshop has no heating and appears to be filled up with cars at the moment.

But that doesn't stop me from spending endless amount of hours drinking Bovril and planning my masterpiece. The idea has extended from the original 16' x 6' idea to 22' x 6' after thinking long and hard about where to fit a newly acquired bridge kit in and the last thing I want is for it to be cluttered together and squashed up. This will allow me to construct a longer station, longer sidings for the mass of clay hoods and a larger goods yard to accommodate all my vans I want to run. as well as provide an open appearance to the model - The idea of standing any where along the model and watching a train appear from somewhere then disappear at the other. Yet being packed full of detail, life and fascinating scenes with a busy timetable and constant train movements so the viewer doesn't get bored.

Christmas and new year

I got quite a few trains and railway related items for christmas this year including Hornby's new Sentinel, a Heljan DPU, a Bachmann shunters wagon, a kernow signal box, bridge kits, station buildings, a mass of Bachmann Polybulks etc... to say the list is quite long four large boxes with 'Hattons' stamped on them so you get the general idea. Although I find Christmas doesn't seem what it used to be.
Anyway to end on that line I'll say Happy Christmas and Happy new year to all you RMweb world modellers.

Garden Railway related activeties

On the 30th of December I did visit a friend in Wadebridge to run trains on his 16mm garden railway for the day which was good fun, his line is better suited to locomotives with RC control rather than manual - my loco is a manual so I was running around after it. My extract for my facebook status for that day was as follows

''My back hurts, legs hurt, arms hurt and feet hurt but surprisingly I burnt no fingers yesterday. The trousers are in the washing machine and I need to wash what's left of Nick's garden off my boots later.
Nick's garden railway might need rebuilding in the new year after seeing the most use in all the time it's been there. Trains were derailed, signals were destroyed, engines were failed, Nick's l
awn is no more, point failures occurred, diesels ran out of battery, the Wadebridge passenger service was late, all steam loco's were steamed, all wagons were used, all coaches were used and the loco steaming area managed to survive the mass of loco oiling, gasing, refilling, steaming and water spilling. The tokens were also sometimes abandoned and all the lamps were used. The express freight was early, the passengers got to where they were going, a royal train was run and the engine crews eaten all the cake, sausage rolls and cheese toasties.
My engine has also has new names of ''death burner'' and ''death star'' With Nick, Patrick, Ben and Colson''

Here's a picture

1504122_605280839520789_1765903489_n.jpg

Next subject

My desk lamp seems to have fallen to bits so that's also in the workshop and I'm eagerly awaiting it's return so I can continue to make progress on some signal boxes. A number have requested I make some 'N' ones based on particular prototypes for their layouts. So that should give me something to do for a few days at least (but my lamp is busted for a minute).

I managed to get the latest Railway Modeller magazine the other day too which included a hut kit (to add to the pile of unmade kits including two more of that particular Ratio kit) which should find its way onto the layout and I look forward to making it once more progress has been made. As you do one thing at a time!

Planning

Sorry about the waffling on I just felt like talking/typing but back to the plan for the new project. The original plan for the model as I referred earlier was 16' x 6' but due to acquiring a few rather ansom looking bridge kits I'll make a special 6' section of board with a sunken section which the bridge will 'bridge' a large river and a slight slope. This will open up an opportunity for a interesting scenic feature. this will mean the layout will need to extended to accommodate the bridge but this also means the goods yard, station, sidings etc (as mentioned earlier) can be extended to a more prototypical length.

Here is a plan a drawn up using a program I found on the internet (which raises up another subject I'd like to write about)
it shows the old very basic plan in the 16' x 6' space. But shows the fundamentals of the formation - fiddle yard at the back and the display at the front. I made the mistake of drawing in Peco setrack and then discovering to scale is very different in tolerances, I'll draw it out again to the new plan of 22' x 6' with the proper 6ft way being observed

post-13630-0-22006500-1389928708_thumb.png

I don't seem to be getting along very well with these track design programs, not easy to use or understand at all. I tried a free program called AnyRail that allows 50 or so bits of track which was useless but seemed simple if your designing a trainset. Another I tried called Xtrkcad which I didn't have a clue. I have the Hornby HVR programs but they're very primitive and you can only use their components. I found this program called Scarm which seems simple enough a fairly straight forward but taken me a while to grasp, I'm sure there are many different tools etc but I've not figured that out.
Eventually looking at these boring track design programs not being able to figure out anything or get it to do what I want makes my brain melt and give me a headache so I turn back to paper.

One other program called Templot is supposed to be quite good but this is probably the worst of all of them, I just found myself looking at the same point on the screen for at least an hour trying to figure out how to use it despite constantly looking through forums, pages and instructions I still failed to figure it out.
I'm sure it would be a good tool to use since you can apparently print out full layout plans and build your track work on top. But yeh, and I'm 19 so I consider myself to be the younger generation and I've been to college, got a certificate in Engineering, used sophisticated CAD/CAM programs and CNC programs and I still failed to figure out how to use it. But never mind.

Track (Be warned of hole picking)

Track is something I find particularly interesting although unfortunately we seem to be lacking the 'easy' 'cheap' and at the same time realistic way of doing it.

I'll list what I think but to start off at the bottom we have the Peco Code 75 system which as we know Peco comes with everything you need to get going and perform to a high satisfactory standard. The system includes most of what you could hope for including points, catch points, track gauges and a variety of sleeper designs. The nigly little thing that will irritate the I will say high average modeller like myself is the sleepers, particular on the wooden sleeper design track is the sizes, distances are incorrect for UK railways (this is due to Peco appealing to the HO continental market) and the level of detail is disturbingly basic. It lacks life and it's hardly interesting to look at. The chairs are hardly chairs and the sleepers just don't look right.
On the positive notes Peco do some good looking Steel sleeper track and other styles (these still unfortunately however inherit the spacing problem)
The advantage Peco holds over all other manufacturers is it's ready made and all you have to do is lay it. And it's surprisingly cheap for around £2 - £3 a length, you don't have the hassle of building points either because they come ready made out of the box.

Next up the list is the SMP range now sold by Marcway. It's reasonable product and comes with a good deal of realism, chairs are represented, sleepers are all correct (or close) the disadvantage is that the sleepers are thin so a track bed needs to be built so a ballast shoulder can be achieved, and this product is relatively aged now and the tooling is not as crisp as it once was. The range includes a left hand and right hand point kits and a large number of other 'make your own' items.
However this product is not as cheap as what it once was and the price of the pack of 10 (in 00 gauge) is £43. They do not have any online ordering facility.
The BDMRC particularly like to use SMP track.

At the top of the list is the C&L Finescale range of products, this is very extensive but is the most expensive range available in 4mm scale. The products are spot on in almost every way, it includes the correct sleeper distances, chairs, keys and other small relevant details. They also stock a ready to lay variety of flexitrack which is available in boxes of 25 for £110 plus postage (of around £8). Possitive note is the level of detail, realism and range of different items. The downside is the price of pointwork, a basic beginers point kit is around £40 and that's just for one! Well the major downside is the price price price but if you want awsome amounts of detail and realism then I suppose they're the ones to go for.

The main problem when you go into the finescale side of railway modelling is you can't simply buy the points off the shelf ready made for a reasonable price. For example if you go for the Peco points say a simple point, depending on which one you have ofcourse will cost you between £10 and £15 (and up for some of the more 'exotic' points) which is very reasonble but you compromise on detail. To the other end a C&L kit will cost you around £40 for one and even then you have to make it - this seems a little impractical when you need a large number of them.

So which do I go for, I've yet to make up my mind and possibly explore other options! (if there are any)

Think that's enough typeing for one night

Cheers, Reece

Unfortunately I have to take exception to the statement that Templot is "the worst of all of them" as this is far from the case. It is a powerful program and designing tool which allows the end user, once they have mastered it, to produce prototypical points and crossings, rather than rely on Hornby or Peco set track. Yes, I did say "mastered". I wouldn't expect anyone to get to grips with it after "about an hour", but then I'm sure the OP didn't get their engineering certificate after an hour either. 

You have to look at it the same way as if you're learning to drive a car.. It takes time, it takes practice, it takes patience and an understanding of the operation of the controls and the rules of the Highway Code until you get to the stage where you're comfortable and familiar with driving. It's the same with Templot. No instructor to sit by your side and intervene, but the Forum is a great source of information, the "Temploteers" are always willing to help with advice and solutions if you have a problem.

Reece, I suggest you sit down again and give Templot another try, it really is probably the best track design software out there. I've been using it for over 13 years now, and due to continued updates and improved/new features, I am still learning things about it. It'll take you more than an hour though, and it can become a whole hobby in itself, and an enjoyable one at that.

Ian

I agree with Ian. It isn't simple, but then programs which do hugely complicated things never are. It produced the plans for my club's current project, all workable after some tweaking with angles of crossings etc. STick at it for a bit and you will be rewarded with a decent plan.

Ian and Paul are right.

Templot is not "the worst". It's the only decent track design (not layout design) -- if not the only real track design software -- out there, and it's free. You can use it to design a layout, but it is basically a highly-sophisticated program designed to produce excellent templates for trackwork formations for almost any prototype and scale/gauge combination.

It has a steep learning curve, as do many specialised programs.

I'm not 19 (I was before we ever had personal computers), and am definitely one of the older generation. I never had a certificate in engineering, and had to learn desktop publishing to national newspaper standards, as well as CAD, Photoshop, and even electronics simulation programmes on my own.

I stuck with Templot through the learning curve, and now use Templot to do jobs that no other program can do (easily, anyway), such as producing 2mm scale tram trackwork (for which Templot was not designed).

If you want to build your own trackwork to specific/prototype standards, it is well worth learning, and great value. The fact that it can be used to design entire layouts and mimic set track just makes it better.

One thing I can add as a "golden oldie" -- most learning is hard, and one of the most important things you can ever learn is how to learn.

It looks from the photos as if you've learned plenty about modelling. Just stick with it.

Mike

Modelling is all about each of us doing what we want to and having our own ideas and opinions, but some comments seem very unreasonable.  i.e.

<< Templot is supposed to be quite good but this is probably the worst of all of them (referring to track planning software).   >>

For comparison, read Richard Lambert's comments in January BRM on his superb 7mm finescale layout of Heyside:

"Martin Wynne's programme is marvellous for producing flowing trackwork and making sure it fits in the space available..."

I am 67 and have learnt everything about computers by working it out myself, reading the manuals, or by asking for help on the many websites. 

Templot is not easy to learn, but if you follow the tutorials, if you read the tutorials to find out what the different parts of turnouts are called and if you learn to walk before you try to run, then you can produce incredible results. 

On the layout I am building I have a crossover where one road is straight and the other is on a transition curve.  Try doing that with any other software and you will find it impossible.  i guess it took me about 40 hours to learn the software and to produce the first version of my layout with a station, 7 points, one crossover and the entire layout on transition curves. 

Not surprisingly, making the points and track is taking far longer.

If you want to use fixed radius track with ready-made points, then Templot is not for you.   If you want accurate trackwork, transition curves, points on curves, etc - then Templot is  probably the only software which will enable you to do this.

Art

• 3 weeks later...

Have you done anything worth popping a picture up of recently?

Not really done anything related to railway modelling for a while. However I've been playing around with the plan, I've moved the bridge to the front rather than to the left hand side and increased the length and decreased the width. it's naturally easier to build this particular bridge on a straight section and it should appear more presentable. makes more room on the curve for scenic features. (not sure if I said that in a earlier post)

I did came across some interesting/inspirational photographs on the Facebook groups recently which I think I'll take some ideas from for the goods yard on the model. Here is a picture taken 1960s ish in Truro (Newham goods).

1653756_622263651155841_2030788289_n.jpg

I quite like the large amount of BR bauxite vans (a mixture of Banana, shock, ventilated and plywood bodied vehicles) and steel bodied coal wagons with the sheds and warehouses in the background and of course the large body of water to the right of the picture. Truro cathedral is in the distance. There is large mounds of coal. A Fascinating goods yard scene.

I have the necessary wagons, materials and buildings to create a similar scene on my model. I think the flat fine ash/dirt/ballast/coal dust/well used ground will add to the appearance. I've got some lumps of welsh coal from the BWR left over which I think I can ground up to make coal heaps. it wouldn't be as large only what will fit in the 6' x 1' 6'' area I have available. The water would be left to the bridge section on the adjoining board. The mainline would go over a 4ft long bridge which is just over the width of the river with the branch splitting of just around the curve.

1898032_622764431105763_260683165_n.jpg

I've drawn a quick sketch of what part of the branch could look like. (obviously in a steam era pose here) I quite like the idea of a scene with cottages in the back ground next to the railway line, heavily shrouded by trees and scenic items. Following a small river and foot path. With telegraph poles alongside the line and large hills in the background.

That's the best I can do for pictures at the moment. I'm still progressing with ideas but maybe not quite as fast at the moment.

The design should will go along the boards as: Curve Scenic -> Large Bridge River -> Goods & Industrial -> Station & Town Scene -> Curve Scenic Creamery -> Fiddle Yard

Making the configuration interesting to view so you see a train enter from somewhere, enter the scene/viewing area and then exit to somewhere.

Hi Reece

Good to see you back on.....

Your sketch is superb.....I wish I could draw like that.....

I can see why your modelling is so good with your vision of the whole scene/perspective etc

Cheers Bill

PS  Any way you could use those artistic skils for financial gain as to me they are really good.....Actually better than good!!!!

B

Hi Reece

Good to see you back on.....

Your sketch is superb.....I wish I could draw like that.....

I can see why your modelling is so good with your vision of the whole scene/perspective etc

Cheers Bill

PS  Any way you could use those artistic skils for financial gain as to me they are really good.....Actually better than good!!!!

B

Nah I can't draw.

I painted a Class 25 on a train of clayhoods in college, the art tutor didn't like any of my work.

398886_365303710185171_2061440880_n.jpg

I beg to differ with him also. I would say you have good observation powers.

He might find your loco is at too acute an angle for the rails, but railway fans will be impressed.

The trees are good, you should have considered that the grass is on a slope and drawn it in line with that slope, but the picture painted the essence of the idea. Adding shadows from a single point usually impresses people. I once had a tutor who pointed out I had accidentally done TWO vanishing points and hence my picture looked like it was painted from the view point of a drunk laid out on the gutter in the middle of the road.

But your picture looks good enough to be a photoshopped photograph. I think it has a lot to commend it.

Someone, I'm sorry I forget, said that to be a good artist you need to put in 10,000 hours, about that point I suppose you will have enough practise to benefit. In other words keep practising. At college I used to do wishy washy pencil drawings, but slowly improved.

Hi  Reece

I agree with both above comments.....That's a very good picture....

If your art teacher didn't like it I suspect it was more that he/she was anti  railway as the observation of the general scene as well as the train is great......

Art is about conveying an impression & you've certainly caught that at I assume Bodmin Road (Parkway)

Cheers Bill

Archived