The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Firstly, welcome to RMweb and secondly, thanks for sharing these photos.

Absolutely lovely stuff...as I get older I seem to appreciate micros more and more...especially 7mm micros.

Do you have any overhead shots or track plan sketches available? Just to see the relationship between the scenics and the fiddleyard etc...

Don't stop posting more photos if you have any :yes:

Pete

• Agree 1

Rob love your layouts, Is Bude just a single track??

How long & how wide is it ??

I have a Skytrex barge that is looking for a new berth to tie up to! I may build it in 0 / 16.5 as I have just started to build a "o" gauge micro layout based on Marc Smiths layout with no name, in GWR times as I have the stock.

I think your buildings along the back are superb, KEEP up the good work!!!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work. If you enjoy the construction more than running trains these small 7mm layouts are great. You have packed so much detail into Osney Town.

Don

• Like 1

Rob,

Many thanks for posting your pictures, especially Osney Town, which I had heard so much about but never managed to see in the "flesh". Your creative skills and modelling are a real inspiration, I hope you will share the "new" Osney with us, I am sure that it it will be a real treat.

Linners

Hi GW57 just realised I didn't answer your question. Bude Quay measures 5 feet by 15 inches, which was the maximum allowed under the competition rules. I suppose I could have built it smaller but I would have lost that sense of space which first attracted me.

Rob

Absolutely beautiful work. How long (roughly) did they take to create/make?

Always a difficult one to answer. Bude Quay was built over about 4 months as there was a deadline for the competition and The Shed was spead over about 8 months. I am retired so can devote more time than some and I find that once I get into the model I want to get on and see it finished, which is abit self-defeating as I don't then have any modelling to do and start thinking about the next project!

Rob

Hi Rob

Welcome to the forum - I know you've been lurking for a bit..

I hope you'll allow me to add some more photos of your excellent layouts.

Stu

Osney Town

post-7025-0-06008500-1338128736_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-86479100-1338128767_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-66029900-1338128775_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-06773200-1338128783_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-90973800-1338129210.jpg

The Shed

post-7025-0-42411000-1338128966_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-56434600-1338128973_thumb.jpg

Hi Stu

Yes I couldn't resist any longer! Thanks for posting the photos, even managed to get one of me and the other half lurking in the background.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

Thanks for posting the photos. I took a few photos of both Osney Town and The Shed when I saw both layouts - I will sort a few out and post here if you don't mind. I had previously posted photos elsewhere (can't remember where though at the moment).

I remember having long conversations with you at Hayle last year (I was there with my own layout).

I've been tempted with the Lionheart pannier tank (as you use), especially after seeing yours in action and the stand at Ally Pally earlier this year, but would need to sell some of my 00 locos to finance ....

Hi Mudmagnet

Yes I remember our talk and your great layout, Please feel free to add any photos, its always interesting to see what others have taken.

The Lionheart panniers are great but not cheap, and I have purchased mine by selling other locos I have aquired over the years. The sound on them is so good and adds something extra to the layout and the advantage of O gauge is that you can get by on far less, especially if you stick to my sized layouts.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob,

I'll get the photos sorted in the next few days and gladly post these here!

I don't need you and Marc Smith 'twisting my arm' to have ago at 0 gauge! Seriously though, there is an awful lot to be said for 'less-is-more' and I only have space for a small 0 gauge layout!

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

I'll get the photos sorted in the next few days and gladly post these here!

I don't need you and Marc Smith 'twisting my arm' to have ago at 0 gauge! Seriously though, there is an awful lot to be said for 'less-is-more' and I only have space for a small 0 gauge layout!

Go on go on you know you want to!

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Once again I'd like to say welcome to the forum

Sorry I pestered you about posting some pics :)

But I think your work is definately worth an airing,

and I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback

and draw on the ideas of other modellers here

Besides, were it not for rmweb, some of us would never get to see your models in the flesh

I think I saw Bude Quay - was it at Telford a few years back?

In 7mm it seems minimum space modellers have the key to creating a sense of space

Although it may seem a contradiction in terms,

there seems to be less tendency to try to cram in another siding or building....

cos you simply don't have the room

Bude Quay is delightful

Osney Town is a nice, and different approach to modelling a station....

I like the fact that although it represents a station in a cramped area,

by modelling it from the entrance / car park aspect, it creates a sense of its' own space

I know most prefer to see all the adverts, signs, trolleys etc

but this different, rarely modelled aspect is nice to see

"The Shed" is a favourite of mine Rob,

I too like to see rust, rubbish, dirt, grime and weathering

and I think here you have portrayed a highly atmospheric scene

although it is freelance, I get the feeling that it is based on somewhere "real"

Fab stuff sir!

Please keep posting more pics :)

Best

Marc