Model Rail Limited Editions news

dibber25

We've received, from Bachmann, a pre-production sample of the 'Class 107' (the three-car Class 108) in Strathclyde orange and yellow. This is a joint exercise with Harburn Hobbies and Harburn will be handling all the orders and fulfilment for us.

Picture in the next issue (MR139). We're hopeful we might have this in stock in time for Model Rail Glasgow exhibition.

We've also seen artwork for the Satlink (Intercity Great Western) OCA wagon. This looks superb, with some really small printing, and I'm guessing we might get that around Easter time.

The Metronet Class 66 now looks like being sometime after Chinese New Year.

CHRIS LEIGH

A picture of the 107

http://twitpic.com/sner7

I guess it is as near as you are going to get it given the size of the windows on the bodyside. If it were mine I'd try to take the black maybe a fraction higher above the windows. That big orange section below the cantrail glares, buts thats just my opinion.

Excellent idea and I'm sure it'll sell well.

Now how about BSYP for the 108 ?

I guess it is as near as you are going to get it given the size of the windows on the bodyside. If it were mine I'd try to take the black maybe a fraction higher above the windows. That big orange section below the cantrail glares, buts thats just my opinion.

Excellent idea and I'm sure it'll sell well.

Now how about BSYP for the 108 ?

Sorry, I would have to disagree. from comparing this view with originals, the black with white lining should extend to just below the top of the side door frames... there should still be a strip of orange visible at the door tops, as per what we can see here. The shade of Strathclyde orange doesn't look quite right, but i'm guessing that is more to do with the photograph than the model.

Can't wait for this to come out Chris - you hit one of the top 3 on my personal hit list with this one!

Bachmann will be tweaking the livery application. They had spotted or or two minor points and we commented that the corners of the black/white panel are too 'square'. They are going to follow the window contour, as they should. It has some very pleasing small printed details on it and overall we're very pleased with it. Harburn will be dealing with the orders and delivery for this when it comes in - hopefully before the Glasgow show.

CHRIS LEIGH

• 2 weeks later...

Another great model for my layout, huge thanks to Chris, Model Rail and Harburns for another gem.

Second me in on the on the "Strathclyde Red" being a bit too light. But then again I do remember years ago that Strathclyde's Buses (the predecessor to today's First Glasgow with its omnipresent Barbie livery) ditched the very similar Orange and Black livery on their buses as the Strathclyde Red (which in reality was just a dark orange!!!!) faded too quickly!

A good example of the darker orange

These units saw quite widespread use around ScR - look forward to it even if it is a mite late for my modelling period :rolleyes: and they did replace the loco hauled trains. :angry: !!!

I'll leave the livery discussions to those with a keener eye but I'll leave you with this shot of a unit on a Dundee to Edinburgh service in May 1987 at Wormit.

post-3695-12623752731794_thumb.jpg

Bruce

These units saw quite widespread use around ScR - look forward to it even if it is a mite late for my modelling period :rolleyes: and they did replace the loco hauled trains. :angry: !!!

I'll leave the livery discussions to those with a keener eye but I'll leave you with this shot of a unit on a Dundee to Edinburgh service in May 1987 at Wormit.

Bruce

Im trawling the internet for Class 107 DMU's, I was too young to see the real things! Pictures Ive found of the Strathclyde PTE liveried ones have them in the Fife Circle, Derby RTC, Girvan, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts, Dunblane, Falkirk and the North Berwick branch. Like the class 156's of today nothing seemed to be out of bounds for them!

I love the research you can do in this hobby!

Sorry, I would have to disagree. from comparing this view with originals, the black with white lining should extend to just below the top of the side door frames... there should still be a strip of orange visible at the door tops, as per what we can see here. The shade of Strathclyde orange doesn't look quite right, but i'm guessing that is more to do with the photograph than the model.

Can't wait for this to come out Chris - you hit one of the top 3 on my personal hit list with this one!

Phil's point stands as the livery is being applied to a model 108, not a 107. There are numerous variations between the types, most relevant being the window positions, notably height-wise on the body side. With the windows in a different place the position of the black band will have to vary in some way to compensate.

It certainly gives the right impression though, and will doubtless be a very popular model this side of the border.

• RMweb Gold

Can someone tell me how are these ordered and what is the cost?

I cancelled my long standing subscription to MR in December having had the mag since issue 1 for the last 10 years or so after

an "experience" with the subscriptions dept who did not know what a valued customer was, but thats another story.

It grieves me to see a customer lost because a subs operation run by an outside company upsets a customer. Please accept my apologies for something over which our editorial team has no control. I don't want to lose a model sale as well as a magazine subscription, so I'll put the details on here. The Class 107 is a joint exercise with Harburn Hobbies. They are handling all the orders and fulfilment. Their phone number is 0131 556 3233. The price is ??119.50 including post and packing.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

It grieves me to see a customer lost because a subs operation run by an outside company upsets a customer. Please accept my apologies for something over which our editorial team has no control. I don't want to lose a model sale as well as a magazine subscription, so I'll put the details on here. The Class 107 is a joint exercise with Harburn Hobbies. They are handling all the orders and fulfilment. Their phone number is 0131 556 3233. The price is ??119.50 including post and packing.

CHRIS LEIGH

No problem Chris, no apology needed as not your fault at all but thank you for the sentiment.

I did find it amazing that they were happy to let me go with no follow up as to why I cancelled, but there you go.

Happy to discuss off thread if you want to smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

It was certainly being applied to buses in 1983. The first time I saw it applied to a train though was at Central in November 1985.

Dave.

We've seen a finished pre-production sample of the OCA in Satlink red and yellow. It looks good and has been passed for production. Delivery date still unknown but likely a bit closer now. Very sorry, but the Metronet 66 is postponed till April and the Class 107 till May according to latest information.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Premium

It grieves me to see a customer lost because a subs operation run by an outside company upsets a customer.

CHRIS LEIGH

I had exactly the same experience a few weeks back, cancelled my sub.(nothing at all wrong with the magazine, but finances are tight at the moment)- total call duration was about a minute - they just said fine, we'll cancel the direct debit; and that was it, no attempt at all at customer retention. :huh:

Bruce

Prototype for everything ;) After reading this thread I stumbled across an SPT liveried unit in Inverurie in 1989, while looking for something else.

http://www.gnsra.org.uk/gnsra_gallery_stations_54.htm

What are the stocks like regarding the MODEL RAIL class 37 ltd editions?

37248 WCRC and 97303 Network rail i believe.] (quote)

We've sold about 80% of both. We're taking some to Glasgow at end of Feb. After that there won't be many left.

CHRIS LEIGH

Just out of curiosity, how are the limited editions decided upon, and who actually decides what to commision? They all seem to sell out quite quickly, so it seems no lemons have been chosen yet!

I must admit that I'm impressed that something seems to have come along to cater for everyone at some time or another. Even pickly lil' ol' me couldn't refuse the Vanfit in olive green.

Archived