Penzance OO

fender

I started this layout in May-ish and since then have learned that the layout has an expiry date already built-in. :umbrage:

It's OO, based on Penzance (mid 50s), and is my first (well, for about 25 years anyway :)). it's not an accurate representation, but I've tried to put as much of it in as possible.

unfortunately I won't be able to do much more work on in from the end of the year. by next summer it will all have to come up so as a result I have cut a few corners here and there to speed things along into a working layout.

here's a rough track plan. the section at the bottom was supposed to be much more developed, but I had to cut all those plans back. it's now just a rudimentary fiddle yard.

at the top right is a representation of Long Rock:

FinalLayout.jpg

it's built on top of Ikea Gorm shelving units, which I felt would maximize the usable space in the room:

PICT0003-1.jpg

putting some track out to get an idea

PICT0005-2.jpg

track going down! I've used the 'Tracklay' underlay system, as I wanted to increase the chances of being able to reuse the track in the future.

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

platforms 1+2 roughed out in MDF

PICT0003-2.jpg

some work near Long Rock

PICT0003-3.jpg

curve away from station

PICT0004.jpg

platform 1+2 finished

PICT0005-3.jpg

1st three locos! Bachmann 45XX and Pannier, and Hornby Beverston Castle

PICT0003-4.jpg

'Long Rock' taking shape

PICT0004-2.jpg

retaining wall nearly done

PICT0005-6.jpg

poor drainage near the loco shed :)

PICT0004-5.jpg

new loco: Ragley Hall

PICT0003_zpsea3ebcb1.jpg

those are the pics I have so far. I've made a little more progress so I'll put some more up shortly.

:)

looking towards the station. the signal box is the Metcalfe one, which is the wrong shape but is the right colour/material so I went with that. :D not easy to see but that's the sea wall taking shape on the left. I just used the same card I used for the retaining wall, but I still need to top it off and add the rocks/sea etc.

PICT0003-5.jpg

'Long Rock'. this is 95% finished, minus a little detailing and I will at some point tart up the turntable. it's not prototypical at all for Long Rock, another compromise. it's the Peco one and I don't think the Long Rock turntable had a well.

PICT0004-6.jpg

thanks Dave and Graham.

yes, I've been blessed with space for this one, a whole basement room, and looking at the skill demonstrated on this forum I feel it has been somewhat wasted on me! however, I have learned an awful lot from this, and I will have a lot to draw on next time. where I currently live (in Spain) land is much cheaper than where I am going (SE England) so I'm sure I will not have as much space for the next layout. I just hope I have something!

I started with the mantra that there would be no deadlines or stress involved, and that I would take my time and not cut any corners. only a month later I found out we would have to relocate (which was shockingly unexpected), so since then I fear the standards have slipped a little in the cause of expediency.

the biggest problem I've had is with the platforms. you can't tell that much from the pictures (funny that! :D) but the curve especially in the first one really isn't very good, and I had a lot of problems trying to model tarmac in the middle of the Metcalfe tiles I used for the edges. I ended up going with fine cinders held in place with a water/PVA solution, but it only looks acceptable from a normal viewing distance, not for pictures. modelling a curved platform was probably biting off a little more than I could chew to begin with, especially using MDF as the base. it works though. if I didn't have the deadline I would have thrown a lot more time and attention at it.

today I'm hopefully going to start work on the station buildings, beginning with the wall opposite platform 1. the station will definitely not be completed as I will have to scratch-build it and I won't have the time to finish. to that end, I have to decide what the focus on. there will definitely be the main walls and the buildings on platforms 3+4, but I think I'll have to choose between the overall roof and doing the booking office and buildings at the end of the terminus.

I might make the roof but end the 'station' at the end of the platforms, with the end wall there, but skipping all this:

Penzance_station_south.jpg

but maybe having the inside of the station still look something like this:

800px-GWR_SRM_45_Penzance.jpg

although the roof looks very daunting!

I started with the mantra that there would be no deadlines or stress involved, and that I would take my time and not cut any corners.

Absolutely right. For most on this forum railway modelling is a hobby, something we do to for enjoyment. If it stresses you out it's not a good hobby. Yes, I know I get frustrated from time to time - the backscene on Danemouth did that to me recently so I just left things alone for a few days.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Shame it will be dismantled.

I seem to remember there was another model of Penzance, around a few years ago. By a guy (not on Rmweb?) based in America.

I've always liked the station and thought it had terrific operating potential..... But at the same time, the amount of space needed always put me off!

Good luck with it.

thanks for the comments. :) yes, I don't think I'd have enough space in our next house even if this was portable.

a couple of new pics:

finished the wall next to platform 1. I've used the wrong bricks I know, but in the time frame available I'm leaning towards expediency. at this point the layout is becoming a learning exercise.

PICT0003-6.jpg

a view from the other direction.

I had some trouble with the tarmac part of the platform but rather than go to the trouble of fixing it I employed a small crew to do it for me. :whistle:

PICT0004-7.jpg

more work on the sea wall and the 'sea'. I used a mix of green/blue paint for that and will top with some clear varnish. I used papier maché on the baseboard to give it a little texture. other work needed though, not least the top of the wall itself:

PICT0005-7.jpg

I've nearly finished the wall on platform 3 and will start the buildings that sit on platform 4 today or tomorrow. I need to do some research as the modern building at the end of the wall was different in the 50s.

Penzance_railway_station_2039690_98b7f8ab.jpg

830273025_29ff82e989.jpg

The End of the Line: Penzance Station by Richard and Gill, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

'Long Rock'. this is 95% finished, minus a little detailing and I will at some point tart up the turntable. it's not prototypical at all for Long Rock, another compromise. it's the Peco one and I don't think the Long Rock turntable had a well.

PICT0004-6.jpg

Hi, please can I ask is the coaling stage/water storage tank scratch built or kit/properitary? The water storage tank looks just right for what I need to get/produce for my own layout

Cheers Dave

Hi, please can I ask is the coaling stage/water storage tank scratch built or kit/properitary? The water storage tank looks just right for what I need to get/produce for my own layout

Cheers Dave

it's the standard Bachmann one. the code is 44-048 :)

thanks for the comments.

more progress. I've nearly finished the loading platform (left )and the buildings on platform 4. :)

PICT0003_zps5a964684.jpg

next major thing will be the roof on the loading platform, and I still haven't decided how far to go with the station buildings..

• 3 weeks later...

a few photos taken by my father, whose photo skills are much better than mine!

this Castle is pulling out of the station possibly a little over-exuberantly :D

R0011394.jpg

R0011400.jpg

still haven't done any work on that turntable, but this shows the puddles to good effect. :)

R0011403.jpg

Have you tried fine wet and dry paper for the Tarmac? That can look pretty good and with different grades you can pick the one best suited to the scale you want.

I have a bit more tarmac-ing to do and that's the route I'll be going down. I felt it would be too hard to cut the wet&dry paper accurately enough to fit between all the slightly-different tiles on the platform, but this other area I have to do should be easier. :)

Nice layout - really coming along nicely. Always thought of Penzance as being a great prototype to model, and tweak with a twist of artistic licence!

Don't suppose we'll see any NSE Vacs or blue hydraulics on here at any point...at all? :sungum: (ducks for cover).

Cheers

Alex

Archived