Backdating a Mainline/Hornby Dean Goods

Here I go again! :)

Indian Red (Brown) and Green is the way to go. There's a nice picture on page 46, Model Rail 133. I will keep the China-made tender drive, since this one runs pretty well. Work has begun.

post-12040-0-30271300-1349619427_thumb.jpg

I started that one years ago, when the Mainline one first came out, except I was keeping the firebox. Started, but nowhere near finished!!!! And converting to EM! It's back on my to-do list, so it will be interesting to see how yours comes out.

Thanks John!

It was your post in my other thread that brought the Dean Goods to mind. It feels like I'm on a roll and will try to keep it going. Your coversion to EM sounds interesting, will you keep the tender drive?

The first fifty or so had narrower running plates and more of a sweep to the cabsides. Also a wooden, canvas covered roof with a different profile to the later metal one.

Yes, but perhaps much more visible are the larger spectacles on the cab front with the round topped firebox. When converted to Belpaire fireboxes the spectacles were much reduced in size.

Nick

Thanks John!

It was your post in my other thread that brought the Dean Goods to mind. It feels like I'm on a roll and will try to keep it going. Your coversion to EM sounds interesting, will you keep the tender drive?

I looked at it for the first time for years a couple of weeks ago! I'd started fitting new wheels to the tender drive, but will have to study it carefully to remind myself what the plan was.

Yes, but perhaps much more visible are the larger spectacles on the cab front with the round topped firebox. When converted to Belpaire fireboxes the spectacles were much reduced in size.

Nick

Thanks Nick!

The spectacles will be dealt with.

I looked at it for the first time for years a couple of weeks ago! I'd started fitting new wheels to the tender drive, but will have to study it carefully to remind myself what the plan was.

Keep us posted!

The only thing that bothers me with the model straight out of the box, is the total lack of brake gear on the tender. My solution, which is not quite right and time consuming, is the un-holy marriage between a Dean Goods tender chassis and a County tender bottom. I've removed as much metal as possible, but it's still 1 mm too long and 0,5 mm too wide. I can live with this since I gain some sturdy brake gear and some extra weight for the drive unit.

post-12040-0-85326900-1349711687_thumb.jpg

post-12040-0-65085500-1349711725_thumb.jpg

Archived