Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Hattons Model Railways of Widnes (formerly Liverpool).

• Please log in to reply
1967 replies to this topic

#1951 Duple

Duple

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCheshire East

Posted 19 June 2018 - 16:18

I'm sure this won't affect them as the prices are already 20% less than we in the UK pay anyway and probably still less than paid if the models were bought off the street in Aus going by some reports on this board.

#1952 DougN

DougN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:33

Duple, 

Your right as the price we seem to be charged is generally well inexcess of the retail price when converted from Pound to AUD. The other issue which has been covered at length it is difficult to get  exactly what you want here as the local shops are at the whim of the wholesaler who choose which models and liveries they will order. So if you liked say green BR diesels they may only bring in Blue... the only way is to order from the UK to get exactly what you want! 

• Agree x 2
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

#1953 leopardml2341

leopardml2341

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationWillington S. Derbyshire (Yorkshire expat)

Posted 09 July 2018 - 20:41

I've been 'had' by Hatton's.

One of the pre owned part built kits. Listed Thursday, sold to me at 10:00 Friday, called by them 15:30 today; apparently not in stock.
  • Friendly/Supportive x 3
  • Funny x 1

#1954 DougN

DougN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,452 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:17

Andy, sometimes people beat you too it. May be it was the Finney LNER tender that I was after by the time I had added to the basket, said go to buy, it was already sold. :(

Anyhow it wasn't meant to be.... therefore I could go and buy a full price version from the if I really wanted one. I already have enough kits to build so all is good..

#1955 leopardml2341

leopardml2341

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationWillington S. Derbyshire (Yorkshire expat)

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:37

Andy, sometimes people beat you too it. May be it was the Finney LNER tender that I was after by the time I had added to the basket, said go to buy, it was already sold. :(

Point taken, but I purchased it by 'phone, so you would have thought (hoped) that they themselves should have known the availability status at that time?

#1956 Steamport Southport

Steamport Southport

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,378 posts
  • Location27C

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:50

Point taken, but I purchased it by 'phone, so you would have thought (hoped) that they themselves should have known the availability status at that time?

In a huge warehouse with dozens of pickers?

The person selling you the item on the phone would just have the same information that you have that the item is in stock. Whilst he/she is selling it someone else has probably completed the deal.

Similar thing happened to me earlier as I was looking at a MSL Class 76. By the time I was logging in it had gone.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport, 10 July 2018 - 11:53 .

#1957 Free At Last

Free At Last

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationMaghull, Liverpool.

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:04

I went to the shop for a Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' track painter but they had none in stock. Whilst looking I found one in the 'Steel Rail' box and took it to the counter. The staff member could not process my purchase as he said they did not have any and the one I had found had actually already been sold but the order had not been fulfilled as the item could not be found.

Edited by Free At Last, 10 July 2018 - 12:05 .

• Like x 1

#1958 spikey

spikey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationThe allegedly-affluent Sarf East

Posted 11 July 2018 - 13:07

Gosh, they seem to be going from bad to worse. I emailed Hattons a while back to quote me for a loco I had surplus, but wasn't impressed with the offer so didn't do anything about it. The following week, one of their lot rang me asking if I was still interested in selling (possibly because the item was literally as new, discontinued, and they have no stock of it). They raised the offer a bit, I agreed to sell, they emailed the label and I trotted off to the local Collect +. All well and good so far.

In due course it's delivered to Hattons at 1453 hr last Friday. Having heard not a peep, I rang this morning to ask somebody to kindly prevail upon the pre-owned lot to let me know what's what. Having still not heard from them 6 hours later, I ring again, only to be told that they have indeed got it, but nobody's been near it yet to check it over. Apparently that's "because we get so much stock coming into the shop" ...

I'm currently waiting for the promised call back.

ETA - And a mere 19 minutes later, I get the phone call to say item checked, all good, I am now in credit by the agreed amount. Well, I guess I should be grateful ...

Edited by spikey, 11 July 2018 - 13:31 .

• Friendly/Supportive x 2

#1959 Chamby

Chamby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:30

I went to the shop for a Woodland Scenics 'Rusty Rail' track painter but they had none in stock. Whilst looking I found one in the 'Steel Rail' box and took it to the counter. The staff member could not process my purchase as he said they did not have any and the one I had found had actually already been sold but the order had not been fulfilled as the item could not be found.

so a classic case of “The computer says no...”.

Makes you wonder how many of the problems people are having are still computer reconciliation issues rather than down to physical stock availability.

#1960 johnd

johnd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:02

so a classic case of “The computer says no...”.

Makes you wonder how many of the problems people are having are still computer reconciliation issues rather than down to physical stock availability.

Computers are merely a slave and are only as good as those who input/operate them !

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1

#1961 LC&DR

LC&DR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:26

Strange happenings, I have placed pre-orders with Hattons over the last three years (or so) and because Bachmann & others have been a trifle slow in coming up with the goods these have been outstanding all this time. Imagine therefore my shock and horror to discover purely by accident that almost all of these had been marked as Cancelled on my account without authority or advice!  However after emailing Hattons they have quickly re-instated my orders and a number of these are now being prepared for delivery. Whew! Thank you Hattons,

• Like x 1

#1962 metmangraham

metmangraham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationHarwell, Oxfordshire

Posted 10 August 2018 - 15:46

Poor old Hatton's seems to be attracting some criticism these days. I write to reverse this trend. My small order was placed on Tuesday, despatched on Wednesday, and received today. All is well, well packed, exactly what I ordered (why ever not?). I approached them for advice on compatibility of one item, was assured it would be OK, and it is. I remember my dad swearing by them way back in the '50s... My order was signed off my Christine Hatton... No, surely not a member of the founding family....?

I have no doubt that I shall carry on using them for many of model railway needs. Well done, Hatton's.

• Like x 4
  • Agree x 3

#1963 County of Yorkshire

County of Yorkshire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Location53C

Posted 10 August 2018 - 18:20

I ordered a stack of odds and ends - some Bachmann Scenecraft buildings and some Oxford Diecast 1940's vehicles, about 2 weeks ago, and paid for 48 hour delivery. Imagine my surprise therefore when I received a parcel from Hattons containing Oxford Diecast airplanes from WW2! A Stuka is not a GWR Pagoda Waiting Shelter!

I returned the parcel last Friday and Hattons received this on Tuesday, yet I did not receive communication of this until I contacted them on Wednesday. The delay? They are waiting for the parcel with my ordered goods within to be returned from the gentleman who was expecting some WW2 die cast aircraft! I wouldn't mind but my parcel even contained my invoice with the correct list of items! 

The customer service response has been somewhat slovenly and I cannot believe Hattons employs warehouse staff that can put the wrong products in the right box- the late Barry Chuckle and his brother would have done a better job then this! Just a shade over 80 sheets worth of product and I have had to do all the chasing, and the email apology was blatantly auto-generated boilerplate stuff. I'm not particularly impressed with Hattons right now. 

CoY

• Funny x 1

#1964 Gwiwer

Gwiwer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,518 posts
  • LocationUpon a Hill of Strawberries

Posted 10 August 2018 - 19:40

Whilst I still occasionally order from Hattons they have lost much of my business through being wasteful and sloppy with their "standard size" automated packaging and are no longer routinely the cheapest either for shelf price or shipping.

While I choose to support a Camborne-based business when ever possible the modelling vouchers once spent via Smithdown Road are now usually diverted to Sheffield.

• Agree x 2
  • Friendly/Supportive x 1
  • Like x 1

#1965 sandwich station

sandwich station

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 August 2018 - 20:37

I ordered a stack of odds and ends - some Bachmann Scenecraft buildings and some Oxford Diecast 1940's vehicles, about 2 weeks ago, and paid for 48 hour delivery. Imagine my surprise therefore when I received a parcel from Hattons containing Oxford Diecast airplanes from WW2! A Stuka is not a GWR Pagoda Waiting Shelter!

I returned the parcel last Friday and Hattons received this on Tuesday, yet I did not receive communication of this until I contacted them on Wednesday. The delay? They are waiting for the parcel with my ordered goods within to be returned from the gentleman who was expecting some WW2 die cast aircraft! I wouldn't mind but my parcel even contained my invoice with the correct list of items! 

The customer service response has been somewhat slovenly and I cannot believe Hattons employs warehouse staff that can put the wrong products in the right box- the late Barry Chuckle and his brother would have done a better job then this! Just a shade over 80 sheets worth of product and I have had to do all the chasing, and the email apology was blatantly auto-generated boilerplate stuff. I'm not particularly impressed with Hattons right now. 

CoY

This can happen to any business. When I lived in the UK, on 2 separate occasions Rails sent me the wrong loco ordered.

Whilst I still occasionally order from Hattons they have lost much of my business through being wasteful and sloppy with their "standard size" automated packaging and are no longer routinely the cheapest either for shelf price or shipping.

While I choose to support a Camborne-based business when ever possible the modelling vouchers once spent via Smithdown Road are now usually diverted to Sheffield.

They are still the cheapest post wise to AUS.

#1966 Stevelewis

Stevelewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationBUCKLEY NR MOLD North Wales

Posted 10 August 2018 - 20:49

I have  been  a  Hattons  customer   since  the  mid  60s when  I was  a personal shopper  at  the   Original  Aladdins  Cave  of  Smithdown  Road,

I Have to say though  that in the  last  12  months  although my  level of ordering Model railway items  has   stayed  at  the  same  level,   much less   now  goes  Hattons  Way!

They are simply  not as competitive as they  used to be,  I find  that  some of  the  smaller models  shops  charge less than  Hattons  and  their postal  rates  are less. I regularly  order  from Arcadia in Shaw, the  order  always  arrives  next  day, also Track Shack  on the IOM, order by 4-00pm  and  order arrives  next  day  mostly post  free

I did though receive   a delivery of  some N gauge items  today from Hattons,  1 loco & 4 coaches  and a  magazine,,  the  box  the order was delivered in  was  around  4X larger than it  needed to be,  however  the   mass of bubble wrap  &  Airbags  was a  welcome addition  to my  stock of packing  materials  for my eBay activities!!

Edited by Stevelewis, 10 August 2018 - 20:51 .

• Like x 1

#1967 girlinb

girlinb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 20:55

I agree i use Colletts Models of Exmouth as Leigh price matches other shops. Hattons is now more expensive in a lot of cases than the other big boys and in my opinion their service has got worse over he last few years hence i only buy from them when i can only get it from them

• Agree x 1

#1968 Free At Last

Free At Last

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts
  • LocationMaghull, Liverpool.

Posted 10 August 2018 - 22:09

I used to be a regular customer at Smithdown Road, visiting several times a month to pick up orders or just to get out of the house and using my travel pass on the train and bus the journeys were free. I almost always came out with something and with passing through the city centre other shops/places of interest could be visited.

Since it has been on an out of town industrial estate with no public transport access I have only visited a couple of times by car to pick up pre-relocation pre-orders with only two more to be collected due maybe next year. My last purchase was last November and I paid the £2 p&p as it was cheaper than the 30 mile round trip by car, also with the journey being motorway/expressway all the way it is just a there and back trip.

I have purchased the majority of my model railway items from Hattons since the early '70s spending many thousands of pounds with them. This year I have spent nothing and anything I may need I will now wait till the Wigan show.

I have found I've now been spending my money on other things I don't really need. I don't suppose it is affecting Hattons finances though.

Edited by Free At Last, 10 August 2018 - 22:11 .

• Like x 2