Glazing my loco

A_S

Hi all,

I'm within sight of the finishing line on my 7mm Jinty. I am wondering what options there are for glazing the windows? both in terms of Material used and method of glueing.

On my only previous loco i used some plastic off the back of a packet and glued with araldite. it was a bit of a struggle so there must be something more suited to the purpose?

I use Staples transparency film and Klear. No problems to report on using this combination.

Mike

Hi Mike, I agree Klear works a treat just don't try sending anything through the post or all the windows will have fallen out by the time it arrives - how do I know this:0)

• RMweb Premium

PVA on a cocktail stick, wipe it around the edges of the window and then pull it all into the centre using surface tension. Leave to dry in a draft free environment. It works in 4mm but I have never done any thing in 7mm.

Works in 7mm too.

Just take your time and it will go clear as it dries

• 3 months later...

I do this on steam locos ...

I use ScaleScenes grime sheet (if is free) printed onto transparency. Have you ever seen clean loco windows ?

One sheet does many many 4mm windows.

1. Cut from the transparency the shape of the window but larger by 1mm all round.

2. Cut a piece of card the same shape, but with a cut hole the size of the actual window. This is the frame.

3. Paint the card black, then glue the grime transparency to the non-painted side of the frame (I use Copydex).

4. Glue the whole thing (transparency side) into place in the loco. If this is tricky use a piece of masking type as a hinge to flip it into place.

This gives you a nice little frame and hides the edge of the transparency.

For a double windows I often use a single piece of transparency plus card spanning both windows.

Archived