My detailing/repainting projects

Yes they are hard and very slippy. Very sharp drills are the order of the day. Brass or white metal are easier but drilling is cheaper which suits my scrooginess.

Cav

PS Also turn the drill bit by hand only. a power drill is too hasty

Edited by RBE

That looks pretty good mate. Lots of weathering variation on the sides which is good. I like. Only critism I have is the windows. A bit over dirty for me but at leadt the wipers have given the driver a view.

Nice work.

Cav

Windows are a matter of taste I think, they do get rather mucky. I like a bit of dirt on them but not completely obscured. A thin film which is still transparent works better IMO. The pic shows the real 37 is at just the right angle to reflect the light so makes the windows look more obscured than they probably are I think. Yours looks very good though never the less. Will you be adding the cabside wear?

Cav

Yeah you have to be carefull. I think you have to have more restraint in model form than reality or like you say its easy to make a scrapper. I think the smaller scale compounds all the worn and battered bits and makes it look more distressed than a real one would look.

Cav

Fantastic work Lee, the 37 looks a great job. Great paint finish and the weathering is spot on.

Speaking of Tim Shackleton, I've just ordered his weathering DVD. Over 2 hours of airbrush and weathering and its in the sale at the moment for £16.50 delivered - bargain!! It should be here next week so will let you know how it is after I've had a watch.

Thanks for mentioning Shawplan as well, I've just repainted a 37 into banger blue and was wondering where to get the buffer beam detailing parts from!!

A quick question as well - I'm struggling to get a smooth finish with the gloss varnish, it always seems to end up very mottled. I've tried acrylic varnish and enamel varnish through the airbrush and acrylic aerosol varnish and they all seem to give the same finish. Any tips on how you get such a nice smooth finish? Thinning, air pressures?

Thanks, Mark

Edited by AngryMeerkat

Looking good mate. A bit of dirt on those bright white steps and handwheels wouldnt go a miss though. The VEA needs more as you say, the lighting on these pics is a bit towards a green hue which makes the colours seem wierd though. Id like to see em in a more natural light.

Cav

Yeah daylight bulbs are strange. I have one thinking it will help me see proper colours while I work. Not completely convinced myself . Might need to pay more for one to get the quality.

Cav

Even more jealous now. I have about a fifth of what youve shown altogether!! I need to really spend to run Neale Bank when its done.

I can certainly see the appeal of a small layout but you get so frustrated at the lack of room for a proper train that it hurts! Outon Road became a joy to run once we could put reasonable length trains on there. A dio for photographing stock is handy though. Something I too dont have.

Cav

• Like 1

Tonight I added the detailing packs that have been lying in packets for years, and as an experiment, fitted some 3 link couplings. I thought I would try them to see how they work with my layout curves.I have added a bit of rusty streaking from the rivets on the bodyside.The footsteps and white wheels have just been glued on tonight and need toning down.8343808826_67c7a9656f_b.jpg8342751135_841035a8e6_b.jpgOur old friend the VEA. Has had 3 links added. Still needs a bit of weathering.8342753287_269789410c_b.jpgI really like these ballast wagons. I have 3 of them, unless I can find any second hand, I won't be buying many more as they retail at about 25-28 quid each now. I have some more Cambrian kits to build, a grampus, something else I can't remember the name of, and another VEA. My goal is to get the wagons built, painted, and then loaded with ballast.They will make a really nice rake up. We shall see.

Very nice wagons. Wish my efforts looked so good.

• Like 2