My detailing/repainting projects

08 repaired, back in one piece, and running with a new Zimo sound chip  :sungum:

Is that a Bach or Hornby 08. I've a Bach 08 that I picked up cheap on ebay a couple of years ago, but the pickup-running is awful and it's been consigned to the to-do cupboard. 

The 50s are nice; I couldn't justify one really... but one of our first purchases was a NSE 50027 (after my son saw it at the NYMR... since when we went on it's first passenger duty at the MHR... and intend to repeat this at the diesel gala next month too)... but I did manage to get a cheap 013 in original blue, which suits my period. Yes the model in nicely detailed and weighty. I'll be doing some mods, but they're quite limited compared to other models (although it's another one in the queue).

On the subject of buffer stops, I've just done a second one - modified peco - the first one is shown here and it looked ok to me. The PHD ones are nice too... but there's more than one way to get to something reasonable.... mine were a fiddle as they were re-gauged... but it shows what can be done.

Happy Easter y'all

Jon

Good work on the 50 Lee. Never really been a fan of the locos tbh but I think probably because I was very rarely exposed to them in my youth.

Again regarding the buffer stops I scrstchbuilt mine from spare rail and plasitcard for the connection plates. Much the same as the PHD ones really. But with plastic instead of the etch. I notice the PHD ones are built onto the running rails however I built mine on a seperate set of rails outside of the running rails as per the prototype. Makes it easier to add to the layout after too which is nice.

Check out the first pic on my Outon Road thread which shows them.

Cav

Yes Lee I like the PHD ones as well. the plates being etched does save a lot of time. I was just curious about the way they are built directly onto the running rail, Pete also built his sample pic of them like that as well so I'm sure that's how the instructions went. I just noticed that when building mine the stop was on a separate set of rails either side of the running rails and bolted through. Not sure if it was the practice in every location but it was certainly on all of the reference pics I looked at. Heres a picture of such a stop.

1414855_a819d244.jpg

post-6665-128299833574_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 2

Were the buffer stops you saw the same type as the PHD and my ones as I have never seen a pic of them directly on the rail of that type. Id be interested in seeing the pics if you have em? The class 86s and the 08 look splendid. Very well done indeed sir.

Cav

Were the buffer stops you saw the same type as the PHD and my ones as I have never seen a pic of them directly on the rail of that type. Id be interested in seeing the pics if you have em? The class 86s and the 08 look splendid. Very well done indeed sir.

Cav

Try here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/42495-prototype-infrastructure/ 3rd pictue I think they are similar ? Edited by ess1uk

Nope thats a different type one altogether. I only really ask as I scoured the web for ages when I was building mine and I never found one of that type built directly to the rail. It actually suited me as it meant I could build the buffer stops away from the layout and simply add it after I also didnt have to worry about shorting the siding out either as I just made sure the stop didnt touch the running rails when glued in place.

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Hi Jon. Iwata brush, Precision paints.

Thanks Lee. I'm still using Railmatch enamels but I do have an Iwata Revolution waiting to be used for the first time; my PremiAir G35 is fine for weathering, but i though the 0.5 nozzle on the Iwata better for full paint jobs. We'll see.

Cheers..... Jon

• 2 weeks later...

That yard tower is looking good. These things can be tricky to build with lots of length and not much meat. Well done on that will be interested to see that finished.

Cav

Hi,

You may well have got the LED's too hot, I can't think of how else you could've gone wrong... A hot iron and speed is the best, even better if you can get your hands on a second iron to heat both sides at the same time then lift it off. Shouldn't be too difficult to pick up some more components though, hiding the wires will be tricky though.

I was also going to suggest using the tower itself in place of one of the wires.

Lee LEDs of the type you are using are available in the bucketload off of ebay and not pre soldered to anything either. I used the same type but in red green and yellow to build one of Pete Harveys excellent 4mm scale signal kits. I found a little bit of flux on the contact and a quick dab of a pre loaded iron is all you need to make a good joint.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=300821969662

The link is for warm white but a more blue white is also available if that floats your boat.

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Lee as for soldering up the lights heres a little sketch. I would superglue some lacquer wire (dont forget to take the lacquer off the tip before gluing as it wont solder otherwise) to the arm prior to soldering the LED on then solder the led tab in to the support. A bit of flux and a quick dab of loaded iron should not heat tye support enough to melt the superglue. Then bend the lacquer wire down to the other contact and solder again. The lamp will then be nice and straight and once painted the lacquer wire should blend into the support perfectly.

post-6894-0-19875000-1366187060_thumb.jpg

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1