My detailing/repainting projects

Lee

You could also save yourself some wiring by wiring the LED's in series. This would mean only one power feed cable.

Duncan

You only need 1 power feed in parallel Duncan with the tower as the common return (or feed, whichever you choose). If you went series you would need to daisy chain the LEDs meaning that you couldn't use the tower as a soldered fixing for every LED only the first and last in the chain.

Cav

Hi Lee,

The tower's looking very impressive. I must admit I whimped out and got mine from Express Models.

The 20s are coming on nicely too. I'm not convinced by those blue doors though. It's a great idea, but I think it would be better to give the impression of battered old faded blue doors, with no grey. If you take the doors as they are and imagine what the donor loco would have looked like at the time the doors were taken off, assuming it was much the same, it would have looked very strange with so little grey left and nothing like anything I've ever seen, with so much of the grey having rubbed off.

I'd go for a couple of nice, faded and streaked blue doors with no grey. Just my opinion though and of course there's a prototype for everything so someone will probably now come along and prove me wrong with a nice photo or two!

Cheers,

Dave

PS Love the faded 08 a page or two back!

You know what Dave, your'e absolutely spot on with that, I couldn't quite put my finger on what wasn't quite right with the blue doors, but I was thinking last night 'would a not terribly run down railfreight grey loco' really have faded grey doors with lots of blue showing through? Definately yes to a replacement complete blue door, albeit faded. Out with the faded blue and paintbrush again  :read:

Hi again Lee,

That to me is one of the things that is so good about RMWeb, bouncing ideas off each other in the spirit of improving each other's skills the whole time.

I must admit though, I'm envious of some of the airbrush results you've achieved. My latest Mk 2d's have been a bit of let down in that department. I've needed too many coats to get good paint coverage sometimes, which has obscured the details. You don't seem to have suffered that problem. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. If I thicken the paint, it doesn't spray well. If I thin it too much, I need too many coats. It seems to be about getting the thickness of the paint just right.

Looking forward to seeing your next posts. Weathered 20s, Large Logo 56s, bliss...

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Cheers Dave. Believe me, I've had my ups and downs with this spraying lark! What sort of equipment are you using, air pressure, paint and thinner type, and rough mixture ratio? Most of my issues were down to pressure and correct paint viscosity.

I'll check those details and get back to you, Lee. I have an Iwata airbrush which is a good one, but my compressor is a fixed pressure one, which is maybe a bit limited.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Lee - I have to be honest and when I saw the Blue doors on the 20's, like Dave, I thought it just didn't look right.  I had a go at this on one of my 20's ages ago and opted for railmatch faded BR Blue.  I tried various methods but eventually settled on dry-brushing the faded blue on in vertical strokes.  It was left to go almost dry before I addedd MIG weathering powders to further highlight the faded / distressed nature of the paint but also to add some dirt.

Can't find the picture on my HD but linked here the one that was on my WB thread.  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=25848

Cheers

Melly

Edited by Melly
  • Like 1

Looks very nice Lee. I also know the woes of introducing masking tape too soon! It would have been nice to see wire tdm cables though mate.

Cav

Edited by RBE

Well you either paint or use lining transfers. I prefer paint myself. Its just a case of good masking and the right order of colours. I am painting a farish mk3 at the mo in the livery so Ill post pics of that as I go although you will probably get it done before me as I have limited time at the mo. The colours want to be done exec light grey, white, red, exec dark grey. Makes for easier masking and colour coverage that way. Just make sure you let each coat dry between masking as you say. You done want tape pull when youve done all that work.

Cav

Yeah you could do it that way. Its not really a problem either way. Its just when doing coaches there is a exec light grey stripe at the top so easier to do first as a full undercoat. Not an issue with locos though.

They are looking very good. You dont need to hint at any eye colour from 4mm scale range or else it will either look like a weird blob of colour or the most surprised person ever. Just shadowed skintone on the eye sockets will suffice.

Cav

Heres a good guide. I used to paint warhammer stuff so although 4mm scale is a bit smaller the ideas are the same.

forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?99163-How-to-paint-faces-and-skin

Cav

Not with the cab interiors this time, the last ones I did had to have them ripped out the glue was so strong! Its the same with the headcode marker lenses....they will not budge, even after a good few hours soaked in Phoenix Superstrip. That is some strong glue.

Thanks Lee, 

I think my 86 will be my nemesis !! I have Virgin liveried one also but am looking to repair it not repaint it. (It fell of my layout after I caught it with my controller :(. Very minimal damage but all the windows fell in and now rattle about inside the cab also I lost an insulator for the pantograph and having no joy in finding one. Perhaps I will tarp it and plonk it on a siding. 

Regards 

Scott 

I've made insulators by using some plastikard rod in a drill then match a razor saw blade as close to the original insulators. Spin rod, place blade against it and away you go!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Meet these two unsavory characters.

8675213957_9181590f50_b.jpg

I'm happy with the overall look, but not with the faces. I'm not sure how to get some hint of eye colour and facial expression in, more prototype observation required!

The seated character looks a right miserable s*d! :angry:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Looking good. Glad to see you just painting the stripe area which is the way I do it.

I would do the exec light grey next myself though a s the red will go over that better than the grey over red.

Cav

Edited by RBE