Motive power for Camden Shed

I originally started a blog but found threads a lot easier. In these two entries:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/653/entry-5222-Bachmann-9f-evening-star-upgrading/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/653/entry-5234-Bachmann-9f-evening-star-upgrading-stage-2/

I detailed how I upgraded the Bachmann 9F. The plan was to include the following changes:

Extra weight for improved adhesion

Loco-tender coupling distance

Loco lifting rings on front frames

Correct pattern front coupling and vacuum pipe

Remove steamheating pipe base from buffer beam

GWR pattern lamp irons

Buffer shank steps on loco and tender

Remove NEM pocket from front bogie and fabricate spring and damper

Gibson front bogie wheels

Gibson smokebox door dart

New handrails with correct pillars

Comet front steps

Cab doors (they're actually tender doors in real life....)

Tender buffer beam details

Tender coupling "goalpost"

Nameplate and commemorative plate

New injector pipework under fireman's side of cab

Driver's side under cab pipework

Water pipes from tender to injectors

Remove steam heating fitment from side of firebox (only fitted in preservation)

Detail copper pipes and chimney cap as copper not black or brass

Here is the finished article, save for weathering, a crew, lamps and coal:

post-10140-0-06371200-1377369053_thumb.jpg

Completely new set of injector pipework courtesy of Comet. Bachmann firebox pipework turned to copper (all this will be toned down when weathered)

post-10140-0-25154000-1377369070_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-78780000-1377369128_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-93819900-1377369159_thumb.jpg

Rarely modelled cover for the reverser so that it could be more safely used as a step. Only some 9Fs had these fitted at Swindon.

post-10140-0-62926500-1377369191_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-53685000-1377369206_thumb.jpg

Of course, there is no earthly reason why 92220 should be at Camden, but it's going to be, and that's that!

Iain

• Like 10

Iain;

Can you describe what you did to add more weight to 92220?  

I have one, too, and as you know, Stockrington is not "on the flat", so I need to add weight to my locos, and would be interested in knowing how you went about it with the 9F, to save re-inventing the wheel.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

If you click the first of the two blog links in the post above, there are a few photos and an account of what I did. The photos are on another computer so I can't repost them at the moment. I did get the method from someone else on here - it might have been Gordon - but I'm not completely sure.

Do ask if that doesn't give you enough info.

Iain

Iain

I have read your description of resurrecting Camden with interest and admiration.  Way beyond my capabilities.  At the risk of wasting your time,  I wonder if you might be interested in a few black and white images of the real thing:  including 46256.  There is a sub-gallery for Camden at this link:

http://froxfield2012.smugmug.com/BRLondonMidlandRegion

Richard

Ah, very good Gents - thank you!  I was surprised how much difference even 20-30g of extra mass makes to haulage capacity, so am now very much in the "superheat your steam locos" camp.

(I had seen that weathering post before, but do have to compliment you agan, Gordon - an incredibly evocative recreation!)

Cheers

Scott

Edited by jukebox

Richard,

Welcome to RMweb and this thread. Thanks very much for the link to some really excellent photos, which are quite the opposite of a waste of time! Is it your own album? Please feel free to chime in at any point.

Iain

Iain

Thank you.  It is my own web-site and (mostly) my father's photographs.  So far, I have processed about 300 negatives, with about another 600 to look at.  There are some more of Camden to come.  I was going to add a couple of images from prints to this email but the system won't play this morning!

Richard

Iain

Trying again.  These two images are the beginning and the end of my record of Camden.  The first (very) early 1950s and the second 1960s (and to me pretty depressing!).  The earlier one was clearly taken during a Railway Photographic Society visit.  I suspect that the figure under the camera cloth is M W Earley?

post-18453-0-44411800-1377512791.jpg

post-18453-0-20074000-1377512811.jpg

Richard

• Like 13

Many thanks Richard, greatly appreciated. Every photo is a help, whether offering slightly more detail of a specific aspect, or confirming what I'd thought from looking at another photo. Although my portrayal is 1960-62, I'm going to be inflating the proportion of steam power still operational, so I won't be able to create many views that depress you as much as the second one!

Iain

• Like 1

And a little more movement on 44741....

post-10140-0-99966200-1377855522_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-48357400-1377855537_thumb.jpg

Steam pipes complete and awaiting a little bit of filler

Reverser incl inside cab

Lubricators and lubricator drive - this was not easy, and once again I had to make it in two halves so that the body and chassis can be separated.

Handrails

Smokebox dart

Lifting rings

Exhaust and live steam injectors plus pipework

Buffer beam straightened out

A few more bits to tidy still.

Iain

• Like 9

Wow, it's all going off here !!

Iain, Richards photos are amazing, and Richard you have actually been there (in steam) very special, I only know Camden through the few (devoted) people like you.

Iain, you are so right, every bit of detail matters, I wonder if Richard could 'shed' any light on the rail side wall of the actual shed !!

Regardless, what wonderful childhood memories, and a photographic record.

• Like 1

Thanks Stanley. I've got only one shot of the east wall of the shed, which is this fairly (very) blurred screenshot from the opening credits of Train of Events at about 1'11"

post-10140-0-01956800-1377986844_thumb.jpg

That clip has been mentioned before somewhere on RMWeb. I'd love a colour HD version!

Iain

• Like 1

Wow, it's all going off here !!

Iain, Richards photos are amazing, and Richard you have actually been there (in steam) very special, I only know Camden through the few (devoted) people like you.

Iain, you are so right, every bit of detail matters, I wonder if Richard could 'shed' any light on the rail side wall of the actual shed !!

Regardless, what wonderful childhood memories, and a photographic record.

Stanley,

Thanks for those kind words!  I am afraid I have no pictures of that side of the shed.  It was the North side and therefore, I would guess, pretty much avoided by photographers.  I certainly cannot recall any windows in the main shed and that seems to be borne out by the film clip posted by Iain.  I DO remember (aged about eleven) crossing the tracks to the goods shed side and being more apprehensive about stepping over the electrified rails than the chance of an advancing express mowing us down.  What are the chances of a young lad being allowed to do that today?  I noted on the other thread that Camden was difficult to 'bunk'.  All we had to do was call on former driver Whitty and it was 'open house'.  The entrance to the shed was through a single personnel gate in a solid brick wall from the cul d sac:  it was known as "the hole in the wall" and opened straight onto the road to the coaling tower.  You could (at least from my height) just see the tops of locomotives over it.  I remember on my first visit, having negotiated that hurdle we passed through the vestibule to the shed.  At the end was a large double door sized opening just framing a large driving wheel.  The shed foreman came out of his office to greet Harry Whitty, looked at me and said very severely, "Don't you go breaking none of our engines"!

I do have one shot from the cab of a Class 40 looking towards Euston, but it shows the right side of the track much closer to the footbridge.  I will post it here when I have finished cleaning it up, but it is too far down the line to show the shed itself!

Richard

• Like 2

Yes thanks Richard, that buildings actual detail is always difficult. The unusual view down to HENLYS is great, even if the short siding crossing arrangement has changed.

Iain this Camden thing is really starting to pick up, hopefully it will still be alive and kicking when I start laying track.

As this is the motive power section however .... the guys at Brassmaster are just about ready (waiting for thr Romford wheel sets) to send me a George the Fifth kit and a Prince of Wales kit, very exciting (should make Jol happy !!) I'm just about fully allocated at about forty-eight engines, with six Oerlikon sets (LRM I hope) and a couple of coal tanks to go. Hence my appreciation to you and your topic.

• Like 1

Thanks Stanley, your interest and encouragement are much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing your progress in due course - sounds very interesting and, as you say, right up Jol's street!

I hope mine will still be going when you start tracklaying. There certainly appears little danger that it will be finished.....

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Iain

Thanks for your post on the Hest Bank forum. Moving on from the pictures of 46256, I must say that you're being quite modest. The finish on it is a deal better than I can do. I hesitate to publish close-ups of my version of "Sir William" from a DJH kit. I lined it with a bowpen and that was quite tricky. I like it, though, because with a D13 motor and 40:1 gears it is fast and powerful (14 on), but it remains a 4-6-0 masquerading as a 4-6-2, because in spite of your advice re the rear pony truck, I still haven't been able to sort it. Mind you the Gainsborough 0 gauge layout has, I believe, a large number of pacifics without rear pony wheels, so I don't feel TOO bad about it.

Very intrigued by some of your other offerings and looking forward to seeing how the Caprotti 5 pans out, not to mention 46248 which looks great.

All the best

Terry D

• Like 1

Thanks Terry, very kind. My version of Sir William is anything but powerful and needs a bit of weight adding, which I will do when I get DCC'd and chip it. I'll post a close up picture of what I did with the trailing truck if that helps. I think that, with a little more care on the weathering, I may now stick with the finish I have on it. Too many people whose opinions and skills I respect greatly have told me not to strip it and start again! That does mean that a version of Salford becomes more likely, but I don't want it to become a layout where only the odd variations or extraordinary locomotives are seen - Ivatt Coronations, Caprotti Black fives both HRP and LRP, Caprotti Standard 5, 71000, 92220 etc are all done or nearly done already. I'll therefore need a lot more of the original Stanier Coronations, plus perhaps 2 Princesses, many Scots, Jubilees, Patriots and Fives, a few more Standard 4, 5 and 7mts and a couple of 2-6-4 and 0-6-0 tanks for ecs moves and pilot work.

Of course, if I manage to find a massive pile of cash, the upcoming Golden Age 46256 in late BR red may be very tempting! The cash, however, is likely to remain the obstacle......

Iain

• RMweb Gold

sorry to jump in on the 46256 wagon, but I have a complete coronation chassis with tender chassis I think its from the blue on from the blue on the bottom of the tender train set one. I have all so just won on eBay the comet full tender set with wheels and all the other bitts to do the ivatt coronation just need the body. and was wondering if you know of any thing to look out for before I start. I might do 46257 just to be different.

Edited by farren

Hi farren,

No problem, flattered to be asked and glad to pass on anything useful.

I think the conversion kit went together very easily indeed. The trailing truck clearance on the rear frame extensions needs some adjustment according to the radii you are working to. Also, I prefer the set up I did on 46248 with outside bearings soldered into the trailing truck frame, rather than the inside set up without bearings that I used (according to the instructions) on 46256. It runs more freely.

I didn't excavate the front of the frames to replace the inside cylinder cover. I was just a bit too wary. It really isn't that hard a job, but this was built when I had just started. Now I will need to keep to the same look for all of my Coronations.

The rest of the body was pretty straightforward. There is a good deal of pipe work that you can add according to how far you want to go.

With the tender, just make sure it is the right tender for the Ivatt variants. Should be part welded with roller bearings, steps on the rear rather than a ladder, and no visible vents. These Comet tenders practically build themselves, but I did manage to get a couple of things wrong that I needed to rectify! The filler dome is 2/3-3/4 covered by the rear of the coal space: don't do what I did and solder it so that 3/4 is showing. If I did it again I'd use some inside bearings for the tender axles to reduce friction. You can build it so that you use the inner tender chassis and pick ups from the Hornby donor. I did that with one of the Black 5's and it worked pretty well.

Good luck with it and do keep us all posted on progress. I've really enjoyed some of your previous updates and need to take some inspiration from that at some point to build a decent Princess or two.

Iain

• RMweb Gold

thank you for your kind comment and suggestion, with the list of locos on your to do list I can see this thread becoming a most interesting and informative thread to come for many a year. even if it dose end up costing me a  few  pounds (44741)  could not help my self found 2 black 5 chassis going cheap.   will we be seeing some Mike Edge's princess on this thread in the future I wonder.    

Thanks farren. I'd like to build a Mike Edge Princess - it certainly looks the best way to achieve a decent one - but I've got a way to go before that I think. Looks like you'll have a lot of similar motive power on the go to me?

Iain