Motive power for Camden Shed

Thanks Paul - that's very kind. It's OO. S&C are to OO-SF, and plain track is C&L to 16.5mm

Iain

Thanks Iain, it's hard to tell the difference when you see quality work like that. I've been humming and hawing about changing to EM but the effort and expense of re-guaging over 100 locos (including kits) and a mountain of rolling stock makes reality hit hard!

Well done and keep it up!

Paul

Dear Paul, I modelled in EM for a number of years and accumulated a lot of stock.....having firstly disposed of a lot of OO.

This was in part a response to the tender drive RTR being produced.......then this vastly improved, and I started rewheeling modern Hornby and Bachmann.....sorry to say whilst mostly successfull there were a couple of botched conversions. The final straw was a new Hornby black 5.....a real howler of a conversion.....up came the em track (SMP and handbuilt points) and down went peco 75 in fiddle yards...curved points at the corners...handbuilt through my station in scenic area. I wont claim my track is as good as camden or alloa ( saw it at Warley) but it comares well with photos of my layout in em guise.  I sold part exed a number of my locos....beware you wont get the market second hand as there is for OO....converted the more unusual examples back to OO....regauging stock....in a number of case had to buy new coach bogies....two abiding legacies of EM ....can construct a Comet chassis, for without whom at that time i could never have even attempted EM....and the EM gauge society which provides help and assistance to anyone working in 4mm.  Hope this helps

Just reading previous entries! Has the jinty chassis been sorted...I too have had mixed results with comet OO gauge jigs....funnily enough had better success rate with the em versions and chassis...could just be me getting clumsier as I get older

Hi Brian

No, the jinty is as it was, but I am going to take Gordon up on his kind offer to let me rebuild it using his avonside jig. At some point! I have to dismantle it first though, and I've not got around to that.

Iain

The joys of chassis building...sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off sticking with N gauge and living off the RTR offerings...then again knowing me would have gone more insane building 2mm finescale....saw chipping norton layout years ago ...blew my socks off.....as I told my two boys....just because you are good at something dosnt mean that there aren't 60 billion people better at it than you.. In any event merry Christmas looking forward to more of your locos in new year...best wishes brian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting project. How is it progressing?

Even more slowly than my replying to this thread Ronnie. I'm afraid.

I completed the tender a few weeks ago, but nothing done since. It needs priming next, then painting, lining and weathering. All of which will probably have to wait until Easter as I tend to spray outside. I'm really looking forward to getting it finished to be honest.

I had a tidy-up and a bit of a stocktake, which caused me to list and think about all the other loco projects I have stocked up to do as well:

2 Hornby rebuilt Scots and a rebuilt Patriot to detail using Brassmasters packs and rename/renumber

Coronations 46245 and 46237 - Hornby plus Comet detailing.

46170 British Legion - I have a Hornby chassis, a rebuilt Scot body with a damaged cab that can provide the basis. Comet Stanier cab, deflectors.

45736 Phoenix - another Hornby chassis, a Bachmann rebuilt Jubilee body which will need some alterations, Brassmasters deflectors and chimney

3 Black Fives - one of each of forward top feed, top feed near the dome and domeless boiler versions. Each will get a mix of Brassmasters bits and some other detailing.

3 Britannias - 70048 definitely as I have the name and number plates for it, plus 2 I've not decided on yet. Recent Hornby models with relatively little to do to them

A new version of 71000 using the Hornby one as a start. I've got some useful stuff to add from an old Crownlines conversion kit, which has the right etched deflectors and a few other bits.

2 Jinties from Bachmann bodies that I have already - one will get the Comet chassis I have started and need to take apart to begin again. One will get another chassis. Probably another Comet one if I can get the first one to work.

These are all locos that were regulars at Camden, and I've got all the bits for all of them bar one Jinty chassis. Which is both exciting and means there might be a few more pages left in this thread. It's also a bit worrying - this Caprotti 5 has taken me the best part of two years not to complete!

Iain

• Like 1

I know the feeling well had got into a bind..literally with my model of 44767... Persevered and now on the road to completion....has taken far longer than my usual models not least my work area in the loft blinking freezing. In any event entering final straights...best wishes with your models..I too have a to do list.....some exoticacontained within given my Midland leanings.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, unexpectedly got a little further with 44741.

The chassis had been bugging me. It was saved from a bit of a wreck at the beginning, and I had to make some repairs. Me being me, those repairs weren't necessarily very good. I couldn't find a spare underframe and pickup unit at the time so made one myself, along with a complete rewire. But running was never smooth enough and in the back of my mind I think that's one of two reasons why I didn't finish this one earlier. I just knew the chassis was not right.

So I pulled apart another Hornby Black Five I had in the box waiting for some fate or other, and cleaned it all throughout with IPA to remove some over-oiling by the previous owner. This one was completely different though - a short wheelbase domeless one with non-rivetted balance weights, so I reversed the rear bearing to lengthen the wheelbase, replaced the wheels with the ones I had and rebuilt the chassis. So far so good. Pickups and wiring worked and the wheels rotated smoothly. But it was still jerky when I put the rods on.

Either the quartering was out (unlikely given they are Hornby wheels) or there was something wrong with the rods. On measuring them, the back rods were just over 1mm too short. I was sure I'd checked these nearly 2 years ago.....

So, it was either make a new set out of the rest of the Comet fret I bought initially, or adjust these. The decision was made when I couldn't find the brass lacemaker's pins to joint the rods.

post-10140-0-84045400-1425074131_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-61804300-1425074162_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-39428300-1425074178_thumb.jpg

Finished the body too: the other reason I mentioned why I hadn't completed this were trying to work out how to complete the under-smokebox butchery. Primed both the body and tender, seen here with a load of coach underframes, then got onto the top coat......and ran out of satin black halfway through. I think I got away with it - there was a slight splattering, but I think it will be ok. If not, I'll strip and redo.

post-10140-0-87136700-1425074280_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-50119400-1425074247_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-68832400-1425074200_thumb.jpg

This Black 5 got the Brassmasters treatment and a load of weathering when I was still faffing around in the loft - well before Camden became the project. It's not been out of a box for 3 years, and needs a new identity. It will be need to be lined too, as there weren't any unlined Black 5s until later. I'm not sure whether I need to do a complete strip and repaint, or whether I can get away with applying lining and numbering, and reweathering. I suspect the former.

post-10140-0-30525400-1425074823_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-26017100-1425074845_thumb.jpg

I've hit a slight wall with the DJH Standard 5 kit. It runs well enough with the rods on temporarily, but pickups - UGH. I need a TW lesson I think. I watched Right Track 1&2 several times. Although I get the principle, if you put the copperclad pad on the frame spacers, it is too deep in the frames, whereas if you put the pad on the brake gear, it's almost touching the sleepers. Hmmmm.....

post-10140-0-50367100-1425076766_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Iain,

nice work and some coaches too!

The DJH Std 5 is a bu**er to fit pick ups too. I used some phosphor bronze wire bent around the etched springs with pieces of plastic tube (strip it off single bell wire) to stop it shorting.. if it brightens up a bit I will try and find it and take a photo.

I must admit I acquired a Comer Caprotti 5 which is OK but needs repainting.. Mr Axel counter saw it on Herculaenum Dock at Southport last year...and I have just got one to fit dcc sound and weather to in EM....always like a challenge!

Keep up the good work!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Mark

the Black 5s seem to be breeding(!)

nee to sort the tender out on one of my Hornby ones... got the wheels to rewheel both of the Hornby ones and a few more be acquired shortly... you can never have enough Black 5s...

baz

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just finished weathering/sound fitting the Caprotti 5.

post-7650-0-61717000-1427896959_thumb.jpg

just about to take photos of my Std 5 pick ups (having been looking for it for weeks and ....the sun has gone in...

Baz

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Iain I was wondering have you had any thoughts on British Legion? I have seen a lovely job done using the brassmasrter's rebuilt patirot and brassmasrter' s jubilee boiler a very costly way of doing it. I am not too sure about the boiler being the right diameter? But the builder did suggest Hornby Bachmann as a cheaper way.

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20693

edited to  add the link

Edited by farren
  • Like 1

In respect of pick ups I solder a piece of the plated. Electrical board between frames gapping a centre area on which I solder pho bronze wire in a circular bend as per late guy Williams....the outer part off the circle touches the outer tyre of wheel...easier to photo than explain will do so tomorrow...

Hi Baz

Very nice indeed! What was the start point for this one - a Comet LRP Caprotti kit?

Hi Farren,

I've not got much further with any thoughts on 46170 yet, although I've got most of the bits. That link shows a truly beautiful build. From my research I think the boiler is unique and I'm not sure how you could combine a Jubilee and a Scot or Patriot and get it right. The No. 3 boiler and smokebox appear longer and wider than the Rebuilt Scot 2A boilers to me. Maybe it's not that noticeable and it's just because I know it's there.

Had a bit of a disaster today. Put the final coat of satin black on 44741. Halfords paint dried nicely. Loco looks great, but then I knocked the tender off the workbench. It landed on the front right hand corner and the damage is probably irreparable I'm afraid. Gutted.

Iain