Dapol N Gauge Schools Class

DapolDave

Apologies if this has been mentioned before ...

On page 85 of the N gauge Journal, did anyone clock 2S-002-004 Schools Merchant Taylors SR Maunsell Olive Lined Green 910?

I thought originally Dapol didn't plan a Maunsell Green version, which was why (I thought) Osbornes Models offered to run a special order of 'Cheltenham' in Maunsell green (to which  I subscribed on the understanding at the time that Dapel intended to only run later liveries).

Non of the box-shifters have the Dapol Maunsell Green version available as pre-order as far as I can see (but they do have all the others available for pre-order), and following an email to eHattons, they seem completely in the dark about the Maunsell Green 'Merchant Taylors'.

At the end of the day, if both Dapol's Merchant Taylors and Osbornes 'Cheltenham' come through I'll be more than happy. But just thought I'd raise the question as it seems both myself and some retailers have been taken by surprise by the Dapol advertisment for a Maunsell liveried version.

Edited by Southernboy

• RMweb Gold

It's not unusual for Dapol to chop and change liveries or numbers between announcement and release and is part of the reason i've held fire on pre-ordering in this instance. The other part is waiting to see which version of the malachite livery they are producing, yellow lining or white (hopefully the latter!) 

Tom. 

I just want a black, black, mucky and grimey one. And it seems like it's just matter of when they get to the stockists shelves and who is first to make them available. That's why I haven't pre-ordered. The race is on . . . .

G.

It's not unusual for Dapol to chop and change liveries or numbers between announcement and release and is part of the reason i've held fire on pre-ordering in this instance. The other part is waiting to see which version of the malachite livery they are producing, yellow lining or white (hopefully the latter!)

Tom.

There are two listed. Pre war lined malachite, and malachite.

• 3 weeks later...

Now May/June according to the Hatton's e-mail just received. 

Tom. 

Yep, a bit disappointing after seeing finished/painted examples at Warley and the adverts suggesting they'd be released in Jan/Feb.

G.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Tender Drive for the Schools. The BOB/West Country will be the first Dapol Loco driven model, although from discussion today they are yet to find a motor that meets their standard. 

The Schools is expected around July as there are some livery issues to be addressed. I have to say even in EP form it looked lovely, especially the Malachite Green version. 

post-1467-0-05507000-1458415805_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-11886300-1458415810_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-43885600-1458415812_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 3

The schools look brilliant. I like the way the smoke deflectors are removable so you could further backdate the olive version. Its a shame that its been knocked back to July in a way but as that's my birthday it may save me a few quid. 

Say what you want about Dapol but if they hadn't come along and kicked Farish up the arse, I'm a firm believer that the landscape of N gauge would look very different. Especially for the southern modeller! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Osborn's Models have received a paint sample of their commissioned 'Cheltenham' Dapol Schools. Unfortunately they were expecting it in Maunsell Green and not Malachite as shown here, and it will be corrected for production, which from my point of view is a massive shame as this is exactly what I need for Ropley!!

Anyway, these are the best images of the Schools I have seen to date. 

post-1467-0-30891100-1459846471_thumb.jpg

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 5

Interesting that Osborns painted sample for their limited edition also turned up in Malachite rather than Maunsell green. You'd think Dapol might have double checked the livery requested by those paying for commissions!

Gareth

It's an outrage!  :jester:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cheltenham Model Centre have received a paint sample of their commissioned 'Cheltenham' Dapol Schools. Unfortunately they were expecting it in Maunsell Green and not Malachite as shown here, and it will be corrected for production, which from my point of view is a massive shame as this is exactly what I need for Ropley!!

Anyway, these are the best images of the Schools I have seen to date.

cheltenham2.jpg

Tom.

Perhaps you could persuade them to part with the paint sample in the condition that you don't go back to them expecting a replacement of something goes wrong with it.

Nice to see the cardon shaft gone.

I think that's only on the decorated samples because they have no motor.  The Schools Class will use the traditional Dapol drive layout.  The Westcountry/Battle Of Britain class locos will be the first with loco drive and no cardan shaft.

Dapol are hopeless at making clear what they are going to produce !

The livery of the BR Black Schools loco on the Dapol Website (and those of big online shops) is described as:

2S-002-002 Schools 30921 Shrewsbury BR Lined Black small early logo

and this is what I pre-ordered.  

30921 did have this livery in the mid 1950s (as on the Hornby 00 locos) but all the photos of Dapol pre-production models shows the (ugly) early 50s livery with lining all around the tender and a large BR logo. 

I wonder what is going to be produced.....

Ian

I wonder what is going to be produced.....

Just as long as it is not one of these..... :P

lemons.jpg

In all seriousness, this is not the first time Dapol have had detail issues with steamer liveries. They nearly produced a Manor in lined GWR livery once.  :huh:

Dapol seem to have decided to base their model on this photo, regardless of the limitations it places. Whilst working from photos to produce accurate models is good, it does require an understanding of the prototype livery details so that you understand whether what you are reproducing is the rule or the exception.

mm_30921.jpg

Edited by Karhedron