Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Rod Stewart , voted dullest man in Britain

We all know that the 'fishkind' names applied to engineers wagons were based on GWR telegraph code practices and have absolutely nothing to do with train-spotters.

Including me, BD, I hasten to say. I really must give up this deadpan irony - either that or start using a "wink" smiley.

Gordon.

Edited BD's quote, for clarification of my intent.

I can recall Rod Stewart and his model railway hobby statements in the early 1970s, - 40 years ago, It was never picked up by the media until the USA layout appeared in the magazine.

As for the East Coast mainline layout, I think it was abandoned a long time ago, I recall   a quote by  Rod  it was not good enough.

I also hear "Old Slowhand" has an interest too, he buys stuff mail order from a shop I use.

Jools uses the same shop

I seem to remember an article by the DJ Andy Peebles in the RM in the late 70s/early 80s suggesting the conversion of a RTR coach to a mobile radio studio. Then in the eighties, he wrote a furious philippic to “Push and Pull” because one of the KWVR drivers had written a piece gleefully describing a GWR “Manor” running out of steam and having to be pulled, ignominiously, back to Haworth shed by the Coal Tank (“Mister Webb to the rescue!”) I wrote a would-be emollient letter urging an end to behaviour likely to strengthen our image as anal retentives in the eyes of the general public, and Peebles replied, with grudging courtesy (though he couldn't resist a rather crude play on the word anal), before further expressing his outrage at the mortal insult offered to God's Wonderful Railway.

Gordon

And what a cross-section of society are the celebrity modellers listed in Wikepedia land !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_transport_modellers#Celebrity_modellers

Brian R

TBH, I'd only heard of half of them, and I think the general tone of the list might be improved were Hermann Göring to be replaced by Adolf Galland, who was greatly respected by British airmen.

Gordon

TBH, I'd only heard of half of them, and I think the general tone of the list might be improved were Hermann Göring to be replaced by Adolf Galland, who was greatly respected by British airmen.

Gordon

:scratchhead: If I was an ultra right-winger would that make you a better modeller and me?

• RMweb Premium

You must excuse my ignorance, Martin - I must confess to apathy regarding any form of game or sport outside of crossword puzzles, long-distance running and shunting model wagons. I picked on Video Gaming largely because of a feature on it in a certain broadsheet a while back. The writer referred to the improved image of Gaming, which is now, apparently, the leisure activity of choice among young adults. Being an oldish adult, I moved on to another article on Railway interest magazines. This writer made it obvious that this was undertaken as a tedious chore, remarking that his/her interest was momentarily awakened by references to "Dogfish" and "Sharks" only to find that these were only trucks - it seems that train-spotters give such names to them to try to make their hobby more interesting. The piece finished on a note of triumph with the discovery in one publication of an advert for a dating agency "Which sums it all up, really ..." Farther on in the same paper were three pages of "Would like to meets"...

My intent is not to disparage Gaming (or WLTMs, which are often hugely entertaining), but to point out that there's no human interest with such a poor image (deserved or not) that it won't some day become hugely fashionable. If I could predict which one, I could be a rich man...

Gordon

Well as you can guess I am a gamer and I am 50, the community is pretty close and I chat to people from all over the world. yes you can have completely disparate hobbies, it makes people more interesting, I do have a Lima DMU converted to a 116 sitting on a pile of PS3 games, my big tins of blue and grey are sitting on a row of Blu Ray films. And being a car enthusiast was usefull while chasing trains for videoing.

I will admit I find most team sports boring!

Guest Natalie Graham

And is "celebrity" an appropriate label for one complicit in genocide?

. As for genocide, people's who live in glass houses and all that... 

:O Blimey! Bluebottle, what have you been up to? Is there something in your past you are not telling us? ;)

After reading the response in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68591-whos-the-most-annoying-or-dullest-dj/ its pretty much unanimous that Steve Wright is a waffling goon and as a DJ utter crap! LOL...I wonder if anyone from the Beeb has noticed our post's, furthermore bring our comments to his attention?  :sarcastichand:

Even If they did I bet he won't be mentioning about his popularity here at RMweb on his show, unlike the way he did when he scoffed about our fellow modeller Rod!

Good on yer Rod at least you have the balls to say to people your proud to be involved with model railways! :clapping: :good:

What is most important is that the persons concerned have earned more than enough money to be "dull". Any criticism (or is it a form of jealousy?) that they attract for this will be water off a duck's back, as it should be.

It is often said that money can't buy happiness but I'll tell you this: it makes misery a hell of a lot more comfortable!

Kenton, you obviously don't watch TV these days.

:-)

Life is exciting enough without loosing time doing that. The news is selectively edited to meet the channel's agenda, political docs are biased or reduced to slanging matches, sport is of no interest, soaps seem to be all american rerun or simply mind numbingly boring, naturalist is done to death, comedy is unfunny. Not much left to attract attention. After 5 minutes (just to check if anything has improved) I get distracted.

OK, I'll say it - I'm boring and dull and proud of it - but upset no one voted for me.

I guess you have to be heard of to get a vote and doesn't that mean you must have some interesting qualities?

I suppose that makes you interesting purely because there's no interest in you whatsoever. Along the lines of "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member".

You must be related to Howard Hughes in some way.

Dull or not, he has , in the words of Ali G, a " well fit bird ".

One mans meat is another mans poison . I know several people who are addicted to football . To me it's a cretinous viscous moronic festival of inadequacy. So they can do one when it comes to the you trains..

Archived