Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Steve

it took me ages to work it out, I bought a 1/12th scale rule from the dolls house people and that helped a lot, I've got the board now and placed the point drawings on it and will just have room for a few wagons either side of the slip.

Thanks Mac

that was really nice of you to put a link to this thread in that other one Thanks :-)

Cheers both - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Rotten weather too cold to go in the garage to do some more to the layout board. I'm making some more wagons instead, very short wheel base ones courtesy of Andy (cornamuse)

es89z5.jpg

Garstang and Knott End salt van,  6 ft wheelbase open wagon and under them an 8 ft wheelbase LNWR cattle wagon  waiting to be cut from the card.

Cheers - Jim

Hi Jim, great use of card ,now that you have found Secotine is available again there will be no holding you. I'm still waiting for a supply of rail to finish off the inlaid track on Reely Grate.

Mike

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mac,

I wanted some short wheel based wagons and these fit the bill perfectly, I've also got a drawing of an 8 ft wheelbase GWR cattle wagon. If anyone else know of any other I'd love to hear from them.

Hello Mike,

It'll be very interesting to see the two layouts progressing on here, there does seem to be an enormous amount of interest in something really small, I've noticed this at shows as well.

Hello Dougal,

The wagons are made from card and paper, except for the wheels which I bought from Invertrain and I'll make the buffers from drawing pins and rolled up paper.

I start off with a drawing, stick it to some picture mount board, coat it with varnish (shellac if you can get it) and then make two cuts along the planking lines and the paper pulls out to leave the planking gap. You can see where I've done it in the lower part of the pic.

n3287a.jpg

Then using more card and paper I make the strapping and reinforcing bits and lastly the rivet and bolt heads are blobs of Seccotine. Now there is a source of the glue I can use it for the more delicate gluing jobs where the setting time of white glue is too quick.

2rr1btd.jpg

If you would like a drawing to start you off doing this, please let me know.

Just my personal opinion, I think that 0 Gauge can be both the cheapest of the smaller scales, it's big enough for clodhoppers like me to be able to make reasonable models and the most expensive if you've got loads of dosh. I also think that I have the most fun learning to do it, I'd never made any axle boxes (card) before or any springs (cartridge paper) or any brake gear (cereal packet)

Cheers - Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mac,

I wanted some short wheel based wagons and these fit the bill perfectly, I've also got a drawing of an 8 ft wheelbase GWR cattle wagon. If anyone else know of any other I'd love to hear from them.

Interesting techniques there, Jim.

Some other Great Western wagons with short wheelbases, all 7' as a matter of interest, are:

Diagram J8 Single Timber Truck (Single Bolster)

Diagram L21 Match Truck (converted from J8 - no bolster!)

Diagrams M1-M4 Shunters Trucks

With 8' 6" WB

Diagram W3 Cattle Wagon (13' 9" over headstocks - for very small cattle presumably!)

David

Guest Jim Read

Hello David,

Thanks very much for those, I rembered that I'd got J H Russells book and found them all in there, I'll make the cattle wagon and the match truck, both very suitable for the layout. I bought the book for 50p in a 2nd hand bookshop, just looked on Amazon and they range from £40 - £120 goodness gracious!!

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I've started the baseboard and drawn the trackplan on it and stuck down some drawings for the points and the single slip.

2rdx852.jpg

Here's another pic with some stock in place.

inbtbp.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Hello all,

Rotten weather too cold to go in the garage to do some more to the layout board. I'm making some more wagons instead, very short wheel base ones courtesy of Andy (cornamuse)

es89z5.jpg

Garstang and Knott End salt van,  6 ft wheelbase open wagon and under them an 8 ft wheelbase LNWR cattle wagon  waiting to be cut from the card.

Cheers - Jim

Is it possible to get plans for these wagons online? They would be perfect for a micro-layout that I want to build in my college dormitory.

Hello all,

I've started the baseboard and drawn the trackplan on it and stuck down some drawings for the points and the single slip.

2rdx852.jpg

Here's another pic with some stock in place.

inbtbp.jpg

Cheers - Jim

Nice, what style loco is that in the last image?

Dougal

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dougal,

The loco was The Lady Armstrong made by Armstrong Whitworth and used on the North Sunderland Railway, interestingly the first diesel loco to pull a passenger train in the UK.

There's a good pic of it here: http://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-RAILWAYS-NOT/17607309_CvZB4R/1421167491_39bFCpc#!i=1421167491&k=39bFCpc

If you wanted to make one I have a drawing I could email to you.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your interest I have some drawings of these some I've made myself and some from Andy (cornamuse) Send me a PM with your email address and I'll gladly send them to you.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Ruston,

Here's a pic of my effort

gallery_7438_314_111063.jpg

I have scans of the drawing and a couple of rather poor pics from the NSR booklet I could send to you, send me your email in a PM and I'll gladly send them on.

Hello FC,

The fact that the NSR book has got drawings in it makes it a really good one for modellers, there is also a good drawing for the 0-6-0 MW Bamburgh (the 1st loco I made) though I believe there is a kit for it now. I can send them to you if you wish.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

The chassis is a couple of brass strips with a Mashima motor and flywheel and the body is from plastikard.

I've sent you the drawings and the pics.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

A bit of progress on my five wagons

k48lfd.jpg

From L to R - GWR Cattle Wagon - 5ft 6ins WB open wagon - LNWR Cattle Wagon - Garstang salt van and in front 8ft WB GWR match truck. The round thing is an experiment to see if I can make a boiler from paper, cartridge paper soaked in water and then glued and wrapped around a small pritt stick tube, left to dry and then coated with shellac, it's surprisingly strong.

I've also cut about 250 sleepers from 1.7 mm gray card that was the backing for cartridge paper pads, hopefully next week when it gets a bit warmer I'll be able to lay some track in the garage.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Nearly finished the wood work under the board just got the fiddle yard and the tongue and grooves to do now. I use the cheapest plywood I can find knowing that when I use these diagonal braces it will not warp. My layouts are kept in a small room at the back of the garage, it's damp in the winter and the temperature ranges from -18 to +30.

under
b3lvkm.jpg

over
dyt4bo.jpg

Cheers - Jim

That short open wagon you sent me will eventually be built (perhaps a rake of 3 or 4!) but I'll be using a slightly different method of construction. I have a collection of whitemetal castings for the axle-box/W-iron assembly, and will use either stripwood or strip styrene to form the underframe, using a card body - mostly because I have these materials at hand and it has always been my preferred method!

Archived