Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Harry,

Thanks I do me best :-)

Please send me a message with your email, I've scanned the pages at high quality so it's a large file.

Cheers - Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

Earlier on there was talk about using drawing pins as buffers. Not easily being able to get them the right size, and the shanks being a bit small, led me to other thoughts. Plaster board nails are maybe suitable, but not very precise, hot dipped zinc, etc. but recently I had to replace some roof tiles, and bought some aluminium tile nails. The shanks can be had in various lengths - mine were 65mm. The heads are quite thin and flat and about 10mm diameter, and the shanks are 3.4mm diameter. Being aluminium, they are easy to file and otherwise shape, and the shanks are long enough to grip in a drill chuck, or whatever and file/machine to a lesser diameter. I'm not sure if you can buy them in small quantities from the DIY sheds, I bought a large bag (6 quids worth) from the tile supplier. Maybe you could get a ladder, and see how your neighbour's roof is held down :angel:

I'd previously turned up some steel buffers for some wagons I was playing with. At the end of the shank, I filed a small groove, and squeezed in a loop of copper wire, to prevent it being pushed too far forward, and instead of using piano wire, i used a thin bronze strip behind the buffer beam pressing on the end. I think that was easier than trying to drill a small cross hole and inserting piano wire into that.

Best wishes,

Ray

Guest Jim Read

Hello Ray,

Nice to hear from you again hope you and yours are OK.

Thanks for the information it's very good of you sadly I don't have your expertise, I'm still using some drawing pins I bought on eBay assorted ones in a box, it's amazing what people will sell!

You can see the use I've put them to here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82774-an-lner-y7-from-card/?p=1386573

Cheers - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all

The Muckton Bottom story

I made this Y6 after having a row with Teddy Boston, he'd invited me to a show and when I arrived I couldn't set up he'd invited too many people so I had to drive 50 miles back for nothing. Over the next few months we met at shows and began to talk again, he was a very nice bloke. I was always trying to get him to change to 0 Gauge, anyway I thought I'd make him a loco and knowing that he and Bill Awdry visited the Wisbech and Upwell when they were both at Cambridge I thought a Y6 would be ideal. Sadly Teddy died before I could give it to him.

Last year I related the story to someone (Thanks) at a show who said I should call my Y6 Teddy in memoriam which I've now done. The roof had got squashed so I've had to rebuild it.

10hmyh2.jpg

I was thinking of calling a layout to use the Y6, Marshland (Marshland St James is close to Wisbech) ... but ... I've got a fair number of cattle wagons, I like making them and I don't think they were used to carry fruit. What I needed was a place to the north but still in Lincolnshire that had mixed farming.

Eileen came home from her allotment one afternoon she'd been spreading muck and said it's a pity there isn't a place called Muckton, I looked on Google and there it was just to the south of Louth and adjacent to the LNER, Even better just to the north of Muckton is Muckton Bottom  which boasted a quarry as well, Reely Grate I thought.

Well there we are, cheers - Jim

More soon

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Thanks nice of you to say so, I'll be pressing on with it now to get it ready for your Weston - on - Trent show.

Cheers - Jim

Muckton Bottom - what a magnificent name for a layout. Last summer we passed through Shitterton in Dorset, not far from the River Piddle and Scratchy Bottom near Durdle Door, whitch featured in the opening scenes of the 1967 film "Far from The Madding Crowd" starring Julie Christie. It is almost worth modelling the LSWR just for the great place names in Dorset and Devon.

Muckton Bottom - what a magnificent name for a layout. Last summer we passed through Shitterton in Dorset, not far from the River Piddle and Scratchy Bottom near Durdle Door, whitch featured in the opening scenes of the 1967 film "Far from The Madding Crowd" starring Julie Christie. It is almost worth modelling the LSWR just for the great place names in Dorset and Devon.

But you get not only great place names you get lovely locos, and bright carriages.

Guest Jim Read

Thanks both nice of you to say that about the name :-) I'll tell Eileen when she comes in from the allotment.

Cheers - Jim

• RMweb Premium

You mentioned Julie Christie . . . I think I need a lie down, I've come over a bit funny . . .

David

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

This is the back of Bullingham's Dog Food factory (no relation to His Honour Judge Bullingham of course) where they dispatch the old knackers. As you can see there's not been much investment in the building over the years.

24fhf1c.jpg

The building came from CG Textures: http://www.cgtextures.com/ join the site and the downloads are free to use, pay a fee and you can download the large files, for my purposes the free files are plenty large enough. Ancillary bits like the doors and fan can be found on other parts of the site, it's Reely Grate!

Cheers - Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello All,

I've done a couple more buiding fronts and just propped them up to see what they'll look like.

zvrgk5.jpg

The screw you can see by the cattle wagon is for the static voltage thingy for the flock grass caper. I bought an electronic fly swapper contraption and a tea strainer and converted into a flock spreader. It does work and the stuff once stuck down feels like felt and springs back if you try to push it down.

You might know that after I'd made the thing I found I could have bought one on eBay!

Cheers - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I scrapped my concrete faced building I thought it look a bit dull. I've replaced it with a brick structure with single storey additions, Still to be called Bullingham's Dog Food though, need an excuse to run my cattle wagons.

I put these up roughly to see what they would look llike together.

142hq3n.jpg

This one is a bit closer and shows the grass put on with my homemade static applicator

wikjn8.jpg

I think it looks better than the 'clumps' variety which as I'm a walker I avoid because Sedge (for that's what it is) indicates soggy ground and at the least mud at worst a boot full of muddy water. Hardly the stuff anyone would build a railway on.

Cheers - Jim

• RMweb Premium

Jim,

I like it as ever, but you have 2 Northlight factory roofs pointing one way and the other, 'south', it doesn't look right & not too late to change, hope you don't mind this.

Dava

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

Your right it doesn't look very good, I thought it might work as they are at an angle to each other. I like to photograph stuff first saves making some unchangeable errors.

I can do this again I don't much like the cottage either it needs to be in another position square on to the viewer.

I'll post another pic when I've done it.

Cheers and thanks - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I've redone two of the buildings I couldn't turn the RH one around Dave it's attached to the brick one with the sliding door so I turned the LH ones around and added a window and a door. I've replaced the cottage gable end with the stone building and added a door to that. I'll be able to make a footpath through the grass between the two doors.

11a99u8.jpg

I gobbed some paint on the grass in the foreground to see what would happen to it, it still sticks up a bit, I was quite surprised.

I don't feel too happy about the sky though, it's a photograph taken off a bridge in Grimsby, I'm wondering now whether I should make it just plain blue.

Cheers - Jim

Archived