Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Fabrice,

Thanks for your interest I use a camera on a tripod to make the images and get them square, a camera with a tilt and swivel LCD is very useful for doing this viewfinders are mostly too small. I use Photoshop to alter photographs, I've done a little screencast here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yy52QGxAZU please excuse the 'errrrr's'.

Versions of Photoshop that can be used to do this start at v5 from 1998.

Cheers - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello Paul,

The rail I use is Code 100 flat bottom I buy it from Marcway's in Sheffield, before gluing it to the card sleepers I run some emery cloth over it to give a bit of 'bite' for the super glue.

Hello Barnaby,

Thanks for that it was one of my first go's at a screencast and the software wasn't that good the sound doesn't keep up with the images. I use BB FlashBack Express now, that does work fine, the guy who wrote it is in the UK and the express version is free.

Cheers both - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Paul,

I'd be glad to send you the drawings, please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send them onto you.

Cheers - Jim

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim Read

Harboro Bepworth

mvniph.jpg

Building 31A was the WD Concrete School, one of the team was Pvt Harboro Bepworth who was interested in the sculptural possibilities of concrete and at the time was going through a linear phase. When no one was looking he would make a quick mould and pour his latest design. The school moved and one of HB’s efforts was left by the back door.

Young Mr Betjeman heard about this and being interested in architectural sculpture journeyed from Oxford to see it. He begged a ride in the Y7, the crew insisting that he go disguised and there he is looking at HB’s piece with a mug of tea like a true railwayman.

I'll be at the Weston on Trent show tomorrow anyone who wants to have a go will be very welcome.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your nice comment, I'm pleased that you like it. I've not been able to do that much to the layout until the last couple of weeks, we took on another allotment, this ones got a foot of topsoil unlike the clay of the previous one, but it was covered in giant weeds and brambles which we've now cut down and have just come back from another digging session.

Cheers - Jim

More a bit later today still taking pics.

Guest Jim Read

The Y7 now with chassis mods

qz23gn.jpg

I thought ooooh I'd better try it on the layout to see if was OK, it limped and the more I fiddled with it the worse it got, it was OK on a flat bit of track the controller was taking out most of the limp but anywhere uneven and it stopped. On close inspection I saw that one of the wheels was moving upwards away from the rail!

So I found High Level models and Chris Gibbon sent me three pairs of his 00 hornblocks, only £2.50 a pair. I got them on Tuesday assembled them, glued them in and on Wednesday was able to measure what I'd done properly and the axles were only 0.1 mm out of parallel. But the conrods fitted one side but not the other! One side was correct at 42 mm and the other side was 43 mm, it couldn't be the axles so I figured it must be the Hornby wheels.

I made another conrod at 43 mm and after reaming them both out ever so slightly it ran a treat, I was amazed and delighted of course. Now it goes at five miles a fortnight even through the single slip.

You live and learn, such is life, this is what you find etc

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I took a couple more pics, this one from the 'lineside' showing most of the layout

312jpyu.jpg

And this one looking from above

4k8psg.jpg

I've started to make a card NG van and must look around for a cheap 00 wagon to rest it on.

Cheers - Jim

• RMweb Premium

Really good to see the latest version of Jim's cardboard engineering & atmospheric buildings, lots more scope for detail! Y7 looks the part.

Dava

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the comment nice to hear from you hope your OK over there in Canada.

I'd bought a load of odds and ends, oil cans, a workbench and other misc bits but having to rebuild the chassis on the Y7, time ran out as ever. When I've got that done and a NG van finished I'll take another pic.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Many thanks for the pics nice of you to pose them here. Ive been sending off emails to lots of the visitors about the controller, making card wagons and making buildings from photographs. It was a busy day and all the more fun for it.

Cheers and thanks - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Gareth,

Your very welcome to, I seem to be spawning new layouts; Reely Grate and Primrose Hill being two I know of. If you would like the plans for the point and the single slip please send me your email address through the site and I will gladly send them to you.

Cheers - Jim

Hello Gareth,

Your very welcome to, I seem to be spawning new layouts; Reely Grate and Primrose Hill being two I know of. If you would like the plans for the point and the single slip please send me your email address through the site and I will gladly send them to you.

Cheers - Jim

Thank you, but I'm an EM modeller so the O gauge plans won't be a great deal of use.

I've only just found this thread, I'm about to settle down and read all through it.

Marvellous, I love the combination of some modern technology (computers, photos) with very traditional card scratchbuilding. Card axleboxes - great, and just reading the word 'seccotine' makes me feel 40-odd years younger (unfortunately the effect doesn't last).

The result is, to me, far more interesting than the most detailed r-t-r moulding, because of the ingenuity, care and skill that's gone into it.

Archived