Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Peter,

I just filled the sink and watched the water go down the plug 'ole and yes it goes clockwise.  So that means ......................... errrrrrrr not quite sure.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I fiddled in the software and did this I think it looks a lot better my eye goes to the buildings now whereas before it went to the sky.

lbek9.jpg

[edit] Here's the previous one

11a99u8.jpg

I'll have to print and cut some paper to fit.

Such is life.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Armin

Thanks for the nice comment, I will continue to post stuff as it happens or fails :-)

Cheers - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Not being very happy with the above I tried this, making one a bit wider than the others, hmmmmm, once again, still don't feel very happy.

mv182o.jpg

Then serendipitously came across Rob's Bude Quay layout: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56870-osney-and-other-0-gauge-micro-layouts/

Goodness I thought that looks Reely Grate

Muckley Bottom is set in Licolnshire just to the south of Louth, in the countryside and wasn't looking like it at all. Peering at something else entirely I came across this Nissen Hut and thought ahhhhh, if could put some trees next to it, it would look OK. This is the second attempt at the hut and I've altered things around a bit to hopefully go with it.

v5zq77.jpg

Got to learn how to make trees now, looked at some YouTube videos and ordered some stuff to make them.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Armin,

Thanks for the links that's very nice of you, wow that one to the RMW thread is amazing! I've ordered some Seafoam stuff from The Netherlands and some of the seeds from Chiltern seeds. I'll be getting some of that florists wire and having a go at that as well.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Having made the one Nissen hut it suddenly occurred to me that I could set the layout in an ex-military area. I made another Nissen hut rear, re-made one of the concrete faced buildings (didn't like the greenish hue anyway) made another one to go behind the low platform and made a derelict house front.

Next I'll make a platform to go in front of the rear one (11A) and then continue with the grassing.

20sx89w.jpg

I really like this now and can't wait to make some trees and shrubs.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello CKL,

Thanks for the comment very nice of you. I found this one really difficult to come up with anything and at first tried to do something similar to the last one, which of course never works, but in micawberish fashion something always does turn up in the end :-)

I've scrapped twoof the  buildings, here's a pic of what remains.

2uqol1v.jpg

The one on the bottom left maybe used in front of the fiddle yard and the bottom right one maybe a bit further along from the derelict one and then maybe not who knows I certainly don't :-)

Cheers and thanks - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Asa,

Your quite right about the time it takes with buildings, I'd never even made a layout with a backscene until a few years ago when I took my then layout to the Crewe show. A very kind gentleman unrolled a printed backscene at the rear of my layout and said I could have it if I took some pics and sent them to him. I gave the layout to Ilkeston MRC and started on my first micro.

2d7f2g5.jpg

I was astonished at the difference it made and this was what started me making my own from photographs.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

This track layout leaves a bit more room in front of the fiddle yard so thinking about Dave's Coney Hill Lt Rly and his narrow gauge interchange I thought I would have a bash myself.

Interchange.jpg

As usual I didn't make the track long enough and had to add a bit, made the platform too wide and had to cut a bit off and then found that wasn't long enough so had to make an extension for it. I suppose this sort of thing happened on many a light railway all being subject to Murphy's law.

[edit] The rail is Code 85 (I think) and the sleepers are 2mm grey card.

Cheers - Jim

Andy, I didn't thank you for the comment above, Thanks a Lot :-)

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the comment nice of you, your NG bit might have a mind of its own but it's very popular, I've seen lots of people asking about it.

I was just going to do it with a wagon or van at the platform, I hadn't thought of actually making it work with a loco! I have a book of Narrow gauge industrial in the south east, I occasionally get it off the shelf to look at a little Bagnall that was used in a gas works somewhere. If I do make it, it will require a lot of guesswork, it would be a nice card project though (said he trying to persuade himself :-)

Cheers - Jim

• RMweb Premium

Bagnalls in gasworks - was it Unity or Concord from Old Kent Rd?

These were 2-4-0T, I have a drawing & article on the type I can copy, I once built the Groudle Glen locos which were smaller versions of the same type. The Rye & Camber pair were similar.

Dava

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

I fished the book out and yes those are the names and it was the Old Kent Road gasworks. I've also got some pics of the Rye and Camber Tramway in a book of English Narrow Gauge Raiways and can see Victoria in it. I've got some spare Hornby wheels about 19mm Diameter which look just about right.

I'd love to have that drawing Dave I'll send you a message through the site.

Thanks a lot - Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I've been fiddling with the buildings and making a few scrawny trees, this back scene at one end is almost ready to be fixed permanently to the board.

Nissen_Trees.jpg

There is a gap in the back bit where the 'sky' is  so I hid it with that concrete post with a broken power cable hanging from it.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the comment, having nearly finished this first bit I'm hoping to have the next bit finished even quicker (he said :-)

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Added a few more bits a shed on the roof of the 11B building and just before I took the pic I added some codged up wire from the concrete post.

Water_Tower_No_Glue.jpg

I used some pastel colours on the bare grey backing bits, a good idea from Eileen, they did look at bit bare. I also made the water tower support and a couple of disconnected pipes. None of this is stuck down yet I still need to spend some time looking at it to see what else I need to add.

Water_Tower_Close.jpg

Cheers - Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Archived