The Shed - alterations to an 0 gauge micro layout

rcf

Lovely modelling. Can't beat a pair of panniers

Who's kit is the water crane ?

Thanks Steve, I often think there should be a collective name for a lot of panniers, perhaps a 'pride of panniers' or something, although it has been suggested that I think too much!!

The water crane is an old Mike's Models kit but the heater is Scale Link.

Rob

• Like 1

Oooops!

1113462894_TheShed.thumb.jpg.60a5d0ee344112eb57989b0ba939b735.jpg

I decided there was no point thinking about it any longer. I had measured as much as I could with everything in place, so as I was feeling in a particularly bad mood today I thought I would take it out on the layout, but carefully! The buildings have come up with only minimal damage and although ballasting track can be tedious, try removing old ballast. Now I can at least get at the area I want to work on and see how the changed track layout will work. Will report on progress in due course.

Rob

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 9

lovely scenics.

I'm sure you'll feel better when it's all working.

Though you suffer NOW, I think it's quite the right decision. I can only underline what rob D2 said.

Waiting for your progress reports!

Armin

Thanks for the encouragement. Once I had made the first cut, so to speak, I got quite excited at the thought of getting things the way it should be. I intend to take things slowly to make sure I get it right this time.

Thanks again for the comments.

Rob

I know what you mean about Peco points. On the last layout my dad did I tested all th track and it was fine, As soon as it was ballasted then all the issues started. I had to wire extra pickups and an on off switch to power the point for one particular direction. Funny thing was on the other point I had to wire the additional point on the opposite side. It all worked you just had to remember to flick the switch when you changed the point.

You would think Peco might alter the wiring on there points if there prone to problems.

Are you going to replace the point with a hand built one?

I know what you mean about Peco points. On the last layout my dad did I tested all th track and it was fine, As soon as it was ballasted then all the issues started. I had to wire extra pickups and an on off switch to power the point for one particular direction. Funny thing was on the other point I had to wire the additional point on the opposite side. It all worked you just had to remember to flick the switch when you changed the point.

You would think Peco might alter the wiring on there points if there prone to problems.

Are you going to replace the point with a hand built one?

Hi Steve

Interesting that you had exactly the same problem as I did. Peco say there is no problem but they do provide instructions on how to re-wire.

You will gather that my main interest is in the scenics as I try and create a picture of steam as I remember it, sadly I am that old,and I am happy to use peco track and rtr stock as part of that picture when suitably painted and weathered. So if the point is replaced it will be peco and suitably wired, indeed on the assumption that the point would be damaged when lifted I aquired a replacement some time ago for the day when I decided to resolve the problem.

However, seeing Abercynon on this forum gave me the impetus to do something about the issue as I realised there was an alternative in line with my philosophy of keeping everything simple and that is to take the two sidings to the FY and provide a sector plate to link them. Operationally it will provide the same solution and will not cause me any concern over reliability, especially if TS ever gets invited to a show again! So at the moment that is the plan.

Incidentally I am following the build of your own new layout with interest.

Regards Rob

• Like 2

Well, I am a bit further forward. I have had to cut back some more of the ground cover and am definitely going to lose the small lean to shed on the rear retaining wall, but it looks as though the sector plate idea may work. I have also had to increase the size of the opening in the sky but only slightly.

1126741022_TheShed007.thumb.jpg.8be12df8bfabf26cd0bb73f546382379.jpg

The sector plate is in position and the two tracks are loosely positioned. Now I need to wire up the track, one of my least favourite jobs, and then get it fixed down. With that done I can get on with the scenic work and hopefully restore it all to where it was before the wrecking ball moved in!

Cheers Rob

Edited by rcf
Photos added
  • Like 12

Rob

Clearly the right decision in the end. I've just discovered a similar problem with one of my well-ballasted points and will need to 'remove and re-lay'. Luckily, mine is in not such a cramped position.

Stephen

This does seem to be a real problem as I noticed someone else on a different forum had had the same thing happen. I know I was extremely careful when I painted and ballasted the point but still failed to prevent it happening.

What a cracking micro layout very atmospheric, inspirational, great stuff

George..

Thanks George, glad you like it.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Firstly, I'd just like to say I'm glad TS has its' own thread
I thought it was superb from the very first couple of pics I saw of it......

Secondly, I was just wondering exactly what the wiring problem with Peco points is?
I used one on a previous layout, and had no problems - appart from needing to thoroughly clean the sides of
the switch rails, after ballasting and spraying.....

Is it that you need to re-wire the ties to the stock rails?

Thirdly, Having seen Abercynon Fach in the flesh -
It's a real cracker! Brian hinted at wanting to build this layout for some time
I too thought about a "pointless" layout - but put that idea out of my mind....
... I know it's an odd thing, but I do think points can add to the scene
however, after seeing AF, I have since changed my mind, and scribbled a few more plans!

I'm pleased you have started work on re-laying your track though.....
and I don't think TS will lose any of its' atmosphere or interest
I'm sure you will re-model it into a super micro anyway :)

Let me know your thoughts on the re-wiring

Cheers again
Marc

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Firstly, I'd just like to say I'm glad TS has its' own thread

I thought it was superb from the very first couple of pics I saw of it......

Secondly, I was just wondering exactly what the wiring problem with Peco points is?

I used one on a previous layout, and had no problems - appart from needing to thoroughly clean the sides of

the switch rails, after ballasting and spraying.....

Is it that you need to re-wire the ties to the stock rails?

Thirdly, Having seen Abercynon Fach in the flesh -

It's a real cracker! Brian hinted at wanting to build this layout for some time

I too thought about a "pointless" layout - but put that idea out of my mind....

... I know it's an odd thing, but I do think points can add to the scene

however, after seeing AF, I have since changed my mind, and scribbled a few more plans!

I'm pleased you have started work on re-laying your track though.....

and I don't think TS will lose any of its' atmosphere or interest

I'm sure you will re-model it into a super micro anyway :)

Let me know your thoughts on the re-wiring

Cheers again

Marc

Good to hear from you Marc. Taking your last comment about my building 'it into a super micro' first, no pressure there then!

I really don't know what the issue is on the points, but others have obviously had similar problems. I was very careful when initially painting and ballasting but it still caused shorting on my NCE Powercab as soon as the loco hit the toe of the point. I tried extra cleaning but nothing helped.

The solution according to peco is to connect the switch blades to the stock rails and cut the wiring under the frog and that, for me, would have meant lifting the point. This means you have to use a switch to change the polarity on the frog. You also need to insure the point is isolated from the track. I will never know whether this would have worked as I am now going down a different route, but next time...

I tend to agree that points do add something to the layout and it is strange to consider building a layout without any, certainly something I would not have considered a few years ago. However the  idea of building without, does appeal to my idea of simplicity and it definitely works with Abercynon. As I get older 'simple' becomes ever more attractive!

Cheers Rob

On 02/04/2013 at 16:16, rcf said:

Good to hear from you Marc. Taking your last comment about my building 'it into a super micro' first, no pressure there then!

I really don't know what the issue is on the points, but others have obviously had similar problems. I was very careful when initially painting and ballasting but it still caused shorting on my NCE Powercab as soon as the loco hit the toe of the point. I tried extra cleaning but nothing helped.

The solution according to peco is to connect the switch blades to the stock rails and cut the wiring under the frog and that, for me, would have meant lifting the point. This means you have to use a switch to change the polarity on the frog. You also need to insure the point is isolated from the track. I will never know whether this would have worked as I am now going down a different route, but next time...

I tend to agree that points do add something to the layout and it is strange to consider building a layout without any, certainly something I would not have considered a few years ago. However the  idea of building without, does appeal to my idea of simplicity and it definitely works with Abercynon. As I get older 'simple' becomes ever more attractive!

Cheers Rob

Hi Fellas,

Although many get away without modding pointwork for DCC, any points (switches) that rely on the switch blades for connectivety, is taking a risk..

In addition, as I have Posted before, Peco points are not always perfect from the factory - even the 7mm FS versions - and some need fettling.

I am sorry to hear that you have had problems Rob, I am sure that it will all come good for you though.

Kind regards,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Good to hear from you Marc. Taking your last comment about my building 'it into a super micro' first, no pressure there then.....

Cheers Rob

Rob, I didn't intend to add any pressure sir

I was merely commenting on the super quality of your recent modelling :)

I'm sure it will look good once it is finished

Having drawn up several "pointless" plans, and seen a growing number of point-free layouts,

I must say, I am tempted to build one

So I'll keep a keen eye on your progress here......

Still no pressure Rob - honest ;)

On the topic of pointless model railway layouts

I just wondered whether you had seen this design by Phil Parker

"Lesspoint" is a nice little take on the concept

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/4410927743/

Cheers again guys

Marc, many thanks for that link. Especially interesting as I have considered something very similar based on Uxbridge Vine Street. Its still on my list of possible layouts.

Cheers Rob

Rob, I didn't intend to add any pressure sir
I was merely commenting on the super quality of your recent modelling :)
I'm sure it will look good once it is finished

Having drawn up several "pointless" plans, and seen a growing number of point-free layouts,
I must say, I am tempted to build one
So I'll keep a keen eye on your progress here......
Still no pressure Rob - honest ;)

On the topic of pointless model railway layouts
I just wondered whether you had seen this design by Phil Parker
"Lesspoint" is a nice little take on the concept
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45131642@N00/4410927743/

Cheers again guys

Rob, I had a "Eureka moment" yesterday evening!
Doesn't happen very often, I can assure you....

It's too late for you, as you have ripped the point up, I'm afraid
but if you need to isolate the frog on a Peco point which has been laid

I think you could identify which sleeper has the tie on each side,

and simply cut a section of it out, using a cut-off disc

This could easily be filled back in, with a sleeper offcut or plasticard
Just in case anyone reading this wants to to the mod to a point in-situ....

BTW. I saw a neat little trick on an O gauge layout at the Bristol O gauge show last year
One chap had saved space on his layout, using an unusual method;

Emerging from from under a bridge at the entrance of the layout is apparently 2 tracks....
however, all you see is the vee end of the point
and that's all it is! The sector plate pivots just behind the vee

A donwside of this is that the sector plate needs a wide "swing"
and you can only have 1 road on the sector....
but it is a neat trick for small layouts, as you effectively have a point, but in about a third of the space :)

Appols for putting my ideas and Eureka moments on your thread Rob ;)

Marc

Edited by marc smith

Rob, I had a "Eureka moment" yesterday evening!

Doesn't happen very often, I can assure you....

It's too late for you, as you have ripped the point up, I'm afraid

but if you need to isolate the frog on a Peco point which has been laid

I think you could identify which sleeper has the tie on each side,

and simply cut a section of it out, using a cut-off disc

This could easily be filled back in, with a sleeper offcut or plasticard

Just in case anyone reading this wants to to the mod to a point in-situ....

BTW. I saw a neat little trick on an O gauge layout at the Bristol O gauge show last year

One chap had saved space on his layout, using an unusual method;

Emerging from from under a bridge at the entrance of the layout is apparently 2 tracks....

however, all you see is the vee end of the point

and that's all it is! The sector plate pivots just behind the vee

A donwside of this is that the sector plate needs a wide "swing"

and you can only have 1 road on the sector....

but it is a neat trick for small layouts, as you effectively have a point, but in about a third of the space :)

Appols for putting my ideas and Eureka moments on your thread Rob ;)

Marc

Marc, eureka moments are rare and should have the widest audience. When I was screaming in frustration with my point I thought there was probably  a way of cutting the wiring on the frog but decided that if I got it wrong I would end up cutting something else!

The idea with the sector plate sounds good, and I did think along similar lines myself, before opting for the present solution.

Rob

Rob, I pondered the sector plate, using a vee which I obtained cheaply....
It was half a Peco diamond crossing - I got it for a pound

and I really must get around to trying it out in the fashion I mentioned....

One day - when I have more time ;)

Your present solution looks fine
Don't forget to post piccies of your progress

Marc