Model Rail 182 May 2013

dibber25

Featuring in this issue, out Thursday 18 April

FIRST REVIEWS: Heljan Class 128 parcels unit, Heljan 'O' gauge Class 31, OO Works LNER 'C13' 4-4-2T, plus the latest books, tools and accessories.

WORKBENCH: Rebuilding a layout, Making the most of a Parkside Dundas wagon kit, How to paint lining, how to weather 'N' gauge stock in just 15 minutes, better 'N' gauge couplings, and more.

NEWS: Bachmann 2013/14 range in detail (with exclusive pictures), Heljan Class 16, Model Rail exclusive limited editions update & much more

PLUS: Workbench Manual No. 7 – British Railways in Transition. A FREE 32-page look back at the 1948-68 era packed with superb archive photographs, background information and 'how to' articles.

Abbotswood (OO) late 1960's early 1970's junction based on a real location in *Worcs (Thanks Mr Stationmaster)

post-6681-0-57283300-1365501921_thumb.jpg

Chinley Junc (N), 1950's Derbyshire, based on a real location. 

post-6681-0-47230400-1365501919_thumb.jpg

Outon Road (OO), we re-visit this classy extended 1990's era layout to experience yet more of Cavan Millward's fine workmanship.

post-6681-0-34498800-1365501920_thumb.jpg

Pempoul (1/50), Maggie and Gordon Gravett reveal some of Pempoul's scenic secrets

post-6681-0-72682000-1365501922_thumb.jpg

Workbench: Polbrook Gurney Colliery (OO),  This installment heralds the first part of a short series which combines Mendip Colliery with Polbrock to form my much bigger layout.

post-6681-0-84616300-1365501923_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Featuring in this issue, out Thursday 18 April

Hi Chris,

cracking photos as usual and the colliery is looking great. Have to say though that I'm not sure the new hat and glasses you are sporting in your avatar do your normal suave good looks any favours :scratchhead:

Looking forward to seeing your good self and the layout at Aylesbury next month.    

Jerry   

• RMweb Premium

Arrived today - a rather good issue I reckon, some particularly excellent stuff between the covers.

Quite agree, Mike.

Worth the money to see what Chris Nevard has planned, and the inclusion of Cav's "Outon Road" is the icing on the cake.

Jeff

Here's a 'one I did earlier' with the Polbrock to Polbrook Gurney Colliery expansion. In this issue I cover the initial planning and chopping about of the original layout Polbrock which was serialised last year. I'm right up against it, the printed page being only a couple of weeks behind the actual build! Nothing like a deadline get get some modelling done!

post-6681-0-58410700-1366064254_thumb.jpg

(edited for jibberishness)

• RMweb Premium

Is there a way for overseas readers to buy the current issue online rather than having to wait 2+ months for it to arrive in the newsagents ?

Thanks.

William

Have you tried the app for the iPad?

There was no Workbench Manual with my subs copy either.

Trying to find an email address for the subs department.....

I've always contacted them by logging in to the online customer services on www.greatmagazines.co.uk and using the 'contact us' link as it fills in your subscription details etc. To be fair to them, they've always answered quickly and extended my subscription by one issue when they've been unable to send a missing supplement. Unfortunately this has been the case both times I've had to ask for one before, meaning a trip into town to buy a replacement and I'm expecting the same again now that this month's supplement is also AWOL :banghead:

That aside I must congratulate the MR team for another great issue, which is as usual top notch and a thoroughly enjoyable read. I only wish Bauer Media would up their game and master the art of adding a supplement to a plastic bag...

• RMweb Premium

That aside I must congratulate the MR team for another great issue, which is as usual top notch and a thoroughly enjoyable read. I only wish Bauer Media would up their game and master the art of adding a supplement to a plastic bag...

Glad to say my supplement was in the bag even though the Royal Mail had managed to so rough up the bag that it had a number of splits in it, one of which was easily big enough for the supplement to fall out of. Thankfully the magazine and supplement were not damaged!

the supplement looks very good. I look forward to reading that. right in my era too. I also like the workbench tips this month. I'll be referring back to them for years to come I'm sure. plenty of great layouts and pics as always.

one question though: Chinley Junc. I was wondering what the "American Scene" is as shown in the fiddle-yard space on the track plan. :)

the supplement looks very good. I look forward to reading that. right in my era too. I also like the workbench tips this month. I'll be referring back to them for years to come I'm sure. plenty of great layouts and pics as always.

one question though: Chinley Junc. I was wondering what the "American Scene" is as shown in the fiddle-yard space on the track plan. :)

Apparently, like many of us, the owner has an overseas interest as well.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived