New-look BRM!

SteveCole

• Administrators

post-14186-0-01929300-1373291234_thumb.jpg

British Railway Modelling will be changing!

A new logo (above!), fresh new design and updated editorial strategy; just a few of the changes that readers can expect when British Railway Modelling magazine changes later in the year!

The move comes following the recent BRM Reader Survey which was designed to help the BRM team get an unrivalled understanding of what modellers want from the ultimate railway modelling magazine.

The survey, which was promoted on RMweb, Model-Railways-Live, Hornby’s Facebook page/E-Newsletter and via the magazine itself attracted a mass of respondents ranging from occasional readers, subscribers and those that don’t currently buy British Railway Modelling.

In any market, particularly publishing, it’s vital that you regularly speak to your customers and provide a product that they want! The recent Reader Survey confirmed our thoughts on what a railway modeller wants from the ultimate magazine, which is why we’re currently working on a mass of exciting changes that will come into effect later in the year.

The most notable change is with the magazine’s logo. ‘British Railway Modelling’ will be replaced by ‘BRM’, leading a completely new design that will be implemented throughout the magazine.

Upon speaking to modellers that buy the magazine, and many that don’t, it was apparent that the vast majority refer to the magazine as ‘BRM’. Changing the logo to ‘BRM’ has been something we’ve been working on for some time and feel now is the right time to make a bold statement: BRM is changing!

However, the all-new BRM isn’t just a cosmetic change. The Reader Survey helped highlight the current trends for layouts, modelling instruction and product reviews which the BRM team will use to ensure that articles are even more suited to the current crop of railway modellers.

The success of any magazine comes down to what you find on the pages. The articles – whether layouts, instruction or product reviews – need to be what modellers want, written in a style that suits the reader and leaves no questions unanswered. The new BRM will focus on including the best layouts the UK has to offer. We’ve already been working on some pretty amazing home layouts, as well as some superb exhibition layouts.

We’ll also ensure we offer instructional content that is achievable to the masses, written and photographed in a way that will ensure that all readers can improve their modelling! These articles will, whenever possible, be backed up by free video content on Model-Railways-Live and forum topics on RMweb – we want to offer an unrivalled package across print and digital to help readers become better modellers.

More information about the BRM relaunch will be announced at the start of August.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on RMweb who took the time to complete the Reader Survey. Your comments - good and bad - are helping us shape BRM for the future. Thank you.

The BRM Team

Very near the style that the Proper BRM the Formula One team used in 1974 just missing the shading!!.

No idea if The Owen Organisation have a copyright thereof .

See my Avatar for proof.

I was going to suggest the logo background should be British Racing Green.......

• Administrators

I was going to suggest the logo background should be British Racing Green.......

Don't worry, the background colour won't always be red. British Racing Green would look pretty good!

• RMweb Premium

Best of Luck,but I hope you are going to look to be something different rather than a clone of Hornby Mag and Railway Modeller. Something with in depth articles of what is going on in the hobby at the moment would be good. I thought Andys interview with Roger Canham was heading in that direction, although, of course Hornby never give much away.

I think it looks a bit cheap.

And it looks very similar in style to the ill-fated MRM too.

The most notable change is with the magazine’s logo. ‘British Railway Modelling’ will be replaced by ‘BRM’, leading a completely new design that will be implemented throughout the magazine.

Upon speaking to modellers that buy the magazine, and many that don’t, it was apparent that the vast majority refer to the magazine as ‘BRM’. Changing the logo to ‘BRM’ has been something we’ve been working on for some time and feel now is the right time to make a bold statement: BRM is changing!

Many people also say 'The Modeller' rather than 'Railway Modeller', but there's no reason for them to change; so why change here? When British Railway Modelling started it had a touch of class, the new logo doesn't.

• RMweb Premium

Good idea for the established model railway magazine buyer.

But if I was new to railway modelling and the following magazines were on the newsagents shelf Railway Modeller, Hornby Magazine, Model Rail I doubt I would get as far as BRM before I had purchased one of the former titles.

Sorry I thing you have got it wrong....

It will take a lot more than changing the name to make me buy Beyond Race Magazine sorry Bike Rider Magazine sorry Building Repair & Maintenance, British Railway Modelling or any of the other 90 listed definitions of BRM acronym - If a product is good, people will buy. I will give it a try but if it returns to the endless long Line style sagas I will drop it again but stating the logo as the most notable change isn't selling it to me so far. I just hope the newstrade are briefed well on what BRM is or potential customers will never find it.

Mike Wiltshire

The first issue of BRM was British Racing Green as a homage to the other BRM - we do share the same town of origin!

Yes as was the photo taken on my avatar, at the Bourne celebration of 50 years since Graham Hill's BRM winning the World championship in 1962 .

Green background is even more of a copy !!

p.s I dont think the idea will work, a  bit like a BRM H16 !! mentioned in a earlier post , although one did finish 2nd in a GP in the back of a Lotus !!

The fact that you think you can achieve anything simply by changing the branding is worrying.   It usually happens in failing organisations to try to get some distance between themselves and a poor product. I didn't thing BRM was that bad it needed this but clearly you do.  Ask yourselves when Rolls Royce last changed their logo (1936 I think) and think again.  It's the content and quality that matters.

It's the content and quality that matters.

Absolutely right Andy and it's certainly not just the logo that's developing; again based on reader input and a lot of work from the management and design of the mag.

My opinion was that the existing masthead looks dated (20 years old in fact) and was in need of a lift. All Most of the other mags have made changes to their masthead in that period.

• RMweb Gold

The fact that you think you can achieve anything simply by changing the branding is worrying.

Hi Andy,

The obvious thing that can be achieved is greater integration with RMweb. At present there is no obvious connection between the two logos.

Notice also:

Domain name:    brmweb.co.ukRegistrant:    Warners Group Publications plc

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

It's the content and quality that matters.

If only that was always true in these instant, plastic, stylized and disposable times. 

However I personalty I think there needs to be name rather than a clue on the cover.  

On the other hand the proposal might prove to be a hit with dyslexic motor cyclists.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely right Andy and it's certainly not just the logo that's developing; again based on reader input and a lot of work from the management and design of the mag.

My opinion was that the existing masthead looks dated (20 years old in fact) and was in need of a lift. All Most of the other mags have made changes to their masthead in that period.

They may have changed the masthead, but not the name of the magazine...  I think ELTEL got it right in post #10.

Stu

As I said in a recent post, style over content.

On a more practical level, yes your readers know what BRM stands for, but surely it is non-readers you want to attract and I don't think initials are the way to go. I picked up a copy of GT the other day and it was not what I was expecting!

Track plans!

Ed

My wife's just added it looks very much in the style of the top of either The Sun or The Daily Star newspapers!

Page 3 "models" then?

"..this month we have a cheeky ladette from Hunslett - look at those lovely all natural 18" cylinders. Hard to believe she was born in 1954..."

Coat. Hat. Door.

Page 3 "models" then?

A bare pair of buffers?! :O

My opinion was that the existing masthead looks dated

I thought it had a quite timeless look really - RM have stuck with the same title style for the last 150 years. It's a good brand which ties in nicely with the PECO logo and is instantly recognisable too. Same the with 'BRM' logo previously - twenty years of an instantly recognisable brand is quite something I think.

They may have changed the masthead, but not the name of the magazine...

Your Model Railway - that worked didn't it...? The only really succesful railway magazine rebranding I can think of is Modern Railways which has become a freely available industry mag in many ways. What RAIL likes to think it is!

I've worked through a massive rebranding of a company (actually, a rebranding of around eight VolkerWessel companies throughout the UK) and to us it seemed to remove our identity and confuse clients - we all got a shiny set of new PPE though... So I do worry when I see big rebrandings. For us it was an attempt to give a fresh image to organisations that weren't in the best of health. I do hope this isn't the case with Warner's, not for the sake of a bit of light reading but as it supports many jobs.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst BRM is commonly used amongst the model railway fraternity, it won’t be obvious to those outside it and perhaps you should be wise that the words British Railway Modelling is still predominant if you want to make obvious to the newcomer.

A lesson from recent history is Personal Computer World and its disastrous rebranding to PCW, it didn’t last long and it soon reverted back to its original title but unfortunately it didn’t survive. I think their reason for rebranding was it was always referred to as PCW, but unfortunately that was by the existing readership and it meant nothing to new potential readers and therefore I presume sales didn’t improve and possibly dropped.

Peter

Archived