Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

• 2 weeks later...

The Canadian market - which Rapido has catered to very well - is small. Jason told me that only around 100 modellers would buy 'current scene' Canadian outline. The market for older prototypes is bigger but still not huge and it relies on the fact that Jason's models represent genuine Canadian prototypes. When people in Canada upgrade, they are upgrading from some very inaccurate models which are just about OK in the US but not really acceptable to Canadians. Until Rapido came along, the Canadian modeller had no choice other than the US stuff - some of which is older than a Railroad Class 47!. If his business is going to grow, he needs to find a bigger market and that's one of the reasons he's looking to the UK. He isn't going to be competing with Bachmann or Hornby by going back over models they've already done because over here the market for such models at a premium price would be too small. As Ben says, how many UK modellers would spend £300 just to get a diesel that sits lower on its trucks or has a 100% accurate shape when the previous model was 95%?? They might like the idea but will they actually spend? Rapido's UK model has to be something that either hasn't been done or was done badly a long time ago. Even then, I suspect that if the pre-orders don't meet expectations some time after June 24, he'll reserve the right to change his mind. I'm willing to bet there are some good products lined up to follow this first foray into the UK market, so we need to support it. UK modelling needs Rapido as much as Rapido needs the UK market.

CHRIS LEIGH

Class 90?

(3 - 1)

3         x      10 = 90

Great video Jason 

By the way you kept referring to English trains as a Scotsman brought up on a diet of deep fried pizza and deep fried mars bars washed down with irnbru, we don't like that it's British trains at least until September 18 when we vote for "Freedom" to quote that well known Scotsman Mel Gibson. 

After all you wouldn't like it if we called you American and blamed you for George W Bush! Though you did give us Justin Beiber which is worse. Then again we did give the world the krankies so you were probably just trying to get your revenge. 

So once again it's British trains till we vote for fanbabbydozy ...... errr I mean freedom, after which we will need to think up a new name for these islands. The countries formally known as Britain or something.

Cheers mate

Gentlemen, the Introducing Rapido YouTube video is now online.

Enjoy! 

-Jason

As. Proud Welshman, I'm not sure if I should be offended by the video ;)

Good luck with the new model ........ Whatever it may be!

I'm not certain that the Pretendolino has been through Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, so that might be a red herring. As is the Dogbox, and the link to the Women's Institute- started in Canada, with the first meeting in the UK in 1915 at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. I thought there might be a train named after them, but surprisingly, there isn't...

Though you did give us Justin Beiber which is worse.

Maybe if Scotland votes for independence Canada can send Justin over as a present. Actually we will just send him over anyway.

Maybe Jason can start giving us some more hints about what the model will be.

Ok so dissecting the video for those that don’t want to waste 5 minutes of their lives.... oh that was from the other post...

Times in video

0:14 - 0:32 Note the T-Shirt its maybe "British Rail era model" or note the two Skips in the background class 67 perhaps? nah already done Hornby

0:33 - 0:42 Bulls have Horns ummm locos have Horns too Could be onto a winner here!!! 1st Big clue solved … Yay….

1:04 - 1:55 4 bottles Molson, 3 bottles with 50 on, 2 Bottles Moosehead 432 maybe, Nah done Hornby , lots of 50's there. Nope Hornby again Seem to emphasise that Hockey stick a lot in the video now turn it upside down and you get the same profile as the photo in Manchester Picadilly they have been using ummm could be.

2:10 - 2:56 Number 1, class 01 maybe don’t think so and again that Hockey Stick....

3:07 - 3:45 Mentions Pretendelino with a class 153 in background , Hockey Stick time again 3rd time for that....   

4:02 - 4:27 Books include Daleks, Dr Who, British Rail Mark 2 Coaches (that could be interesting) a bus someone mentioned a Leyland connection earlier, Big emphasis on Yorkshire, Beatles, Submarine (Yorkshire - Liverpool Trans Pennine units maybe) Cyberman (Body made out of metal) and a big hairy foot...

4:57 - 4:58 Maybe they didn't

So conclusion it’s got a Horn and is possibly the same shape as a Hockey stick upside down.....

Hope this clears it up...

Steve

PS can I have that hour of my life back now….

• RMweb Gold

Maybe if Scotland votes for independence Canada can send Justin over as a present. Actually we will just send him over anyway.

Maybe Jason can start giving us some more hints about what the model will be.

I bet it will run on 16.5 mm gauge track ;)  (But don't forget the importance of the figure 3 and also a 6 could be relevant - you will find out why after it has been announced at the Shildon scanning fest, honest)

Hi All,

Placing tongue in cheek and off we go.

Now, can we just stop all the pointless speculation about what the Rapido release is going to be please? Pages and pages of ridiculous froth and counter froth and we all know it's can only be one engine from the collection at Shildon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans_Pareil

Lots of rivets and it's been in existence in 3 separate centuries you know...

Coat on, out the door I go...

All the best,

Castle

EDIT: And before we have any comments about the release not being a steam engine, technically steam hasn't been anywhere near this in over 100 years...

But don't forget the importance of the figure 3 and also a 6 could be relevant

Ah, so it'd be the new Class 36 (LRC to fit the UK loading gauge) fitted with a refurbished ALCO 251-F ordered by Jason to start off Rapido Rail UK passenger services.

Hat, coat, maple syrup, gone!

• RMweb Gold

Ah, so it'd be the new Class 36 (LRC to fit the UK loading gauge) fitted with a refurbished ALCO 251-F ordered by Jason to start off Rapido Rail UK passenger services.

Hat, coat, maple syrup, gone!

LRC? - London Rubber Company; I always thought the main aim of their production was to stop things not make them go? :jester:   Ah, but then there is that association with 3 of course so you might be on the right track and it all depends how you translate LRC - clever stuff.

Archived