Rapido Trains UK Release

Guest CPRAIL3000

Look, I really, really know what it is going to be - and I’m personally certain that pre-orders will total over a 1,000 units.

It’s a Class 306 (AM6) EMU.

I have all the “insider” information, guaranteed  (I hear it now inside my head).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I was interested to read this online

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/southdurham/bishopauckland/11169792.Rail_museum_in_Shildon_offers_visitors_chance_to_see_3D_model_scan/

In the article it says Rapido are teaming up with locomotion models......

I'm sure Jason will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was solely a Rapido venture, although it would make sense to share some of the outlay, and have somewhere like Locomotion to deal with dispatching the models and any possible warrenty issues etc.

It would also I'm guessing limit Rapido's model to something in the National railway mueseum collection !

Owen

P.s, although I can't make it, I can't wait until the 24th of June. My money is on the Sierra Leone Hunslet No85 

• RMweb Gold

I was interested to read this online

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/local/southdurham/bishopauckland/11169792.Rail_museum_in_Shildon_offers_visitors_chance_to_see_3D_model_scan/

In the article it says Rapido are teaming up with locomotion models......

I'm sure Jason will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was solely a Rapido venture, although it would make sense to share some of the outlay, and have somewhere like Locomotion to deal with dispatching the models and any possible warrenty issues etc.

It would also I'm guessing limit Rapido's model to something in the National railway mueseum collection !

Owen

P.s, although I can't make it, I can't wait until the 24th of June. My money is on the Sierra Leone Hunslet No85 

Have a look at post No.425 on Page 17 of this thread

Having looked through the national collection list, it's the 74.

4 from 7 = 3.

Damn it's a 71 :jester:

Or the Shinkansen.....

Ah, someone has divined another way to arrive at 3, that's the trouble with trained engineers, they understand things like that :jester:

As we have covered just about every class of British locomotives and DEMU’s what’s going to be really nasty is when the announcement is finally made some jerk will say “See I told your so,  see my post XXX dated XX/XX.................” and will then bask in the reflected glory of Jason’s visage.

Best, Pete.

Just to throw another tongue in cheek suggestion............

Me and a couple of the Leamside crew have been e-mailing this morning and as one has pointed out, there was a class 40 named 'Empress of Canada'......!

It's number D232..............

I reckon there will be a lot of 'accident' scenes on layouts with a Rapido loco on its side where the underframe just happens to be facing the punters so they can see all the intricate detail.

I do wonder how they'd capture this information in a one-day scanning session. Unless they can get it up on jacks?

The Nim.

...With regard to producing a super-duper version of a model already offered by someone else, I'd be interested to know how British modellers feel about that. The impression I get after 15 years working in the hobby (in retail and publishing) is that people here are very reluctant to 'trade up' to better/newer versions ...

Perhaps you didn't notice that somehow or other Bachmann and Heljan built very successful presence in the UK market over that period, with inevitably significant duplication. Heljan launched with a class 47, to really rub it in. It was better product, and people bought it.

There's a market for better. It's always a judgement call whether the 'better' can be produced at a price which represents sufficient value to attract the necessary customers. But one look at models from the better end of the OO product spectrum - such as the NRM/Bachmann DP1 - and my feeling is that I would like to purchase more like that. (Especially when they have tricky compound curves and paint jobs to reproduce, rather than an all black item largely composed of rectilinear and circular profiled solids.)

Perhaps you didn't notice that somehow or other Bachmann and Heljan built very successful presence in the UK market over that period, with inevitably significant duplication. Heljan launched with a class 47, to really rub it in. It was better product, and people bought it.

There's a market for better. It's always a judgement call whether the 'better' can be produced at a price which represents sufficient value to attract the necessary customers. But one look at models from the better end of the OO product spectrum - such as the NRM/Bachmann DP1 - and my feeling is that I would like to purchase more like that. (Especially when they have tricky compound curves and paint jobs to reproduce, rather than an all black item largely composed of rectilinear and circular profiled solids.)

But then, unless the 'better' product is perfect, the 'better' will always be a judgement call. The Heljan Class 47 has a 'broad gauge' body on narrow gauge trucks and once I'd spotted that, I didn't like it. Mind you, I'd be unlikely to buy a Class 47, good, bad or indifferent. Even after all this time, its a safe bet that Lima and Hornby 47s outsold Heljan ones by ten to one. If you're in business to make money, which models would you prefer to have sold? Now, I did buy Heljan 'Westerns' because they were so much better than the Lima ones (which I now can't give away) but the truly excellent Dapol one hasn't made me REPLACE the Heljan models, although I do have a couple of Dapols, too. So the question comes back to whether there's a big enough market in customers upgrading. Some will, some won't. If you actually had to gamble the six figure sum, would you take the gamble.....? Whenever a new model is suggested, the person making the suggestion always says "I would buy one." The question is, "Will enough other people?"

CHRIS LEIGH

but i venture there is also an element of crossover ie: if you calculate another one of your more popular lines will cover any shortfall from a new line then you might still throw the 6 figure sum at it anyway to stop your competitors taking a slice of the market. 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing.....there must be some cross model feeding of profit to some degree.some call them loss leaders.argumentative as to whether that business model works in the model railwY business.

i spent quite a while over three decades making 1/43 racing cars for customers among other actvities .I can remember making a terrible model of a Lotus for a guy  in the 70s .When a far better  version was at last released I assumed he would want it to match some other higher quality models he had .No ,he replied .i have one of those and I only collect one of each .He had his run of Loti and although I found the early model diabolical it filled the alloted number space  in Chapmans scheme of things and his collection .I just assume the best is what sells but maybe not ...at least to "collectors'. At least one of his gaps will fill soon .I am making the master pattern for a Lotus 63 although he has probably got a huge out of scale version that appeared briefly by someone .

Not at all. We need to see if the big cheeky grin and abundance of personality and charm is backed up by an ocean deep sense of humour...

... I did buy Heljan 'Westerns' because they were so much better than the Lima ones (which I now can't give away) but the truly excellent Dapol one hasn't made me REPLACE the Heljan models, although I do have a couple of Dapols, too...

There's the answer: the better model of the subject you are interested in, provoked purchases. I hung on for the Bachmann 47 as the type 4 diesel endemic to my area of interest, precisely because the Heljan - despite many good features - physically looked wrong to me thanks to the overwidth issue. But plenty of folks liked it enough to buy it, largely thanks to the superior mechanism compared to all earlier products.

What past sales the superseded models have achieved is irrelevant; it is what sells now that matters. There is evidence to date that presented with a better model, sufficient folks will find the cash to yield an acceptable commercial return. A manufacturer/commissioner is going to find the limiting boundary eventually for plastic bodied OO RTR: but so far to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a commercial failure. (Not in this business, strictly a hobby for me and staying that way; needs an insider to know if any business has genuinely taken a cold bath.)

• RMweb Gold

I think the simple answer is that if Jason makes the right thing and it is sold at the right price and the price is considered to offer the right value then whatever it is will sell.  To some people it will presumably sell because of what it is while others will buy it in the same way that they bought previous NRM/Locomotion 'specials' or locos which are otherwise suitable for the place/era they model, and presumably some will also sell to collectors.

The key will I think be a matter of the quality being delivered against whatever price level is set,  and Rapido maintaining their reputation for fidelity and quality, and  - to a lesser extent - the subject chosen.  I say 'lesser extent' for the latter because on the face of it some relatively uncommon, and definitely far from widespread about the network, prototypes have come into the marketplace in the past few years and all seem to have sold quite well despite the state of the economy etc.  

And can we assume that if this one is a success, for whatever the arrangement is between Jason and the NRM, their involvement might deliver further examples in the future?

Archived