N gauge Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hello, Dave.

Very sorry to learn of the prospective hiatus in the development of the Class 17.  I very much hope that you have been able to secure the tooling that has been produced so far and that you will soon be able to get the project under way again and thus recoup your losses.  Reading between the lines, it would appear you have fallen foul of the sometimes ruthless business practices of some of our new partners in the Orient.  If this is the case, it might help others avoid the same pitfalls if you were to inform the Department of Trade & Industry (or whatever name it goes by this week) and/or the Chamber of Commerce (whether or not you are a member).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thankfully there's no negative comments on this development. Let's keep it like that and remain fully supportive to Dave.

Absolutely, Dave was upfront about the risks right from the start and also that monies would not be at risk, true to his words this unfortunately has come to pass. And no supporter will be out of pocket.....Dave on the other hand :(

• RMweb Premium

So I guess reading between the lines here that the contracted manufacturer is not playing ball but holds the tooling?  Can it be transferred to a different manufacturer or is that likely to be some sort of prolonged legal battle?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, perversely, the news of the Class 17's hiatus has encouraged me to crack on with my layout aspirations in 00.  

I was torn when it was announced and have been stalling my 00 endeavours since.  Well, now I've got no excuse - back to Plan A. 

I've purchased another Parkwood class 17 body to replace the one I sold in anticipation of the DJ version when they were first announced some 5 years ago.

You should have built the first one, it would have guaranteed the production model by DJM to arrive just as you added your chosen loco number to your Parkwood one.

You should have built the first one, it would have guaranteed the production model by DJM to arrive just as you added your chosen loco number to your Parkwood one.

It was completed, the Parkwood bodies just need buffers fitting & painting but the Kato chassis need a lot of filing to fit, I've just been without one for 5 years!

• RMweb Gold

Yes , still got mine and a lovely runner never gave up on it.  It might have become a shed queen but not to be hopefully Dave will eventually get the thing sorted out with China and get tools back on line I guess money is the root of all evil !! certainly it oils the wheels of industry elsewhere !!  

Robert  

• RMweb Premium

Is there a contact for them anywhere please? It looks like it may be one of those one man band outfits with no apparent web presence but from what I have gleaned so far they make some interesting things.

Is there a contact for them anywhere please? It looks like it may be one of those one man band outfits with no apparent web presence but from what I have gleaned so far they make some interesting things.

These are his items for sale on eBay John - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/woodpark88/m.html?item=173343825292&ViewItem=&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is it just me or does anyone else keep checking back to this thread in the hope of even the tiniest glimmer of possibility that this model may yet get going again? (unlike the prototype ironically!)

Maybe once Dave has done the King and 92 it will be time to come back to this.

I think the HUO now looks less likely as RevolutioN will no doubt partner again with Accurscale after the Cemflo.

Maybe the APT in N will get a kick from the Dapol HST prototype as a half set plus a class 43 is prototypical isn't it?

Is it just me or does anyone else keep checking back to this thread in the hope of even the tiniest glimmer of possibility that this model may yet get going again? (unlike the prototype ironically!)

Hi John

You're not alone, I do too. It just seems such a shame to have got so far with this model, only to have to put it on "hold" for an undetermined amount of time.

But then I suspect having put all that money into research, design and tooling already nobody would want to get this on the move again more than Dave.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...