Bachmann 2014 ...for those with crystal balls....

coachmann

This year's Collectors Club calendar shows one or two interesting things to conjecture with.......................

By July 2014 this may well be the longest Froth-Fest ever held on RMWeb!!! 

........a brand new 43xx would be plausible, with the Great War centenary connections in 2014; but I fear with current development/production/delivery timescales, the boat has sailed on that one!

Regards,

Mystic Andy.

A new 43xx wouldn't be a bad thing but am I alone in thinking that a nicer "Great War centenary connection" might be made in 2018? I mean generally; not just with regard to model railways. 

RP

Finally the oracle told me a brand new 43xx would be plausible, with the Great War centenary connections in 2014; but I fear with current development/production/delivery timescales, the boat has sailed on that one!

I'm impatient - I'd settle for just a new chassis. Prices for used ones seem to have gone up quite a bit on Ebay in last year or so; I'm reluctant to splash out for what could well be an iffy runner though if layout is ready and nothing announced then will probably give in.

Given they chose to do the Modified Hall, I suspect they'd do the Manors next :(

Here's one for Larry,

Limited runs of individual top specification classic coaches. Quality and finish as high as can be managed from plastic production methods, with a price tag to reflect the necessary work that would need to go into their production. I imagine prototypes like Barnums (to go with the GCR theme), or maybe certain ECJS vehicles with clerestories and elaborate panelling and liveries etc. There are plenty of possibilities.

I would imagine that runs of a thousand or so, or a couple of thousand might work, but demand would have to be gauged first to check the viability of the project. Obviously these would naturally appeal to collectors, but also would give others the chance of owning models that would cost significantly more than having them built professionally.

I see this idea not being limited to Bachmann necessarily, but to any manufacturer prepared to take the initiative, provided that demand level is checked and the price pitched with care. I would certainly be prepared to stretch to getting the right models if it came to it, and it's not a case of having to have a high level of disposable income so much as being prepared to do without something else in order to afford something you want, which is what most of us do all the time.

Just a thought.

I think that all these manufacturers need a time of ,catch up, to supply the products that have already been announced over the last couple of years. Lets face it there must be a lot of money tied up in the development of these products for which the accountants will be looking for a return on. Production and supply must be a priority for all of them this year especially in the Hornby camp.

As for the crystal ball I think that the clue is in the 25 years ......... whatever that might be .............answers on a post card please :jester:

• RMweb Gold

It seems that both Bachmann and Hornby are looking at certain pre grouping companies.

No doubt that Bachmann are following the Midland and as such the 1P 0 4 4t would be nice with a 2P to modern standards a bonus....

With the announcement of the Atlantic and the E4, can we expect more LB&SCR subjects?

A C2xx could be a good start but a K mogul would make sense...long lived etc..

A H class 0 4 4t to join the C class ???? or even a P class 0 6 0....

Hornby started well with the M7 and T9 from the L&SWR. ...Bachmann could steal their thunder and go for the Adams radial ( OMG!!) or 700 0 6 0 goods..

We shall see.....

Rob

here goes...

Diesel - the D600 Kernow cad/cam 'mantle' to be take up by Bachmann. This goes nicely with forthcoming class 43 NBL warship-

- class 06, D2700 NBL shunters (to go with kettles below)

Steam - more ex-LNER scottish - the J36/37, also caley Jumbo, Pickersgill 4-4-0, 0-4-4's too would go nicely with all these Hejan Birmingham Sulzers

classes.

94xx 0r 16xx Panniers please,please

No more large green steamers...is the market not awash with them ??

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone not just wish for more spare time? :P All fine and well Bachman releasing these new toys but takes time to make them look real!

I've got lots of RTR models purchased years ago brand new and never had the time to finish, let alone a raft of new tempting treats! The Bachmann 47s this year have been great and enough to keep me busy for ages, we've had the Wishlists for years now, has everything important still not been covered yet?

The time must be right for a high-spec electric loco to follow the 85 but do we really need more toy trains? I've just seen the press releases for the new 2015 Ford Mustang and think that's a more worthy thing to look forward to!!

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Mr Coachman but for the sake of fairness and equity this thread should have been put to bed for the next 6 months, it's far too early for this commotion and emotion. 

To Expand Coachman

This was always going to end up as a wish list / froth fest just like the Hornby one, the difference being the Hornby thread only has days to last not 6 Months.  Normally (and sensibly) premature 'crystal ball' watching has been discouraged, somehow in this case it has been tolerated, I'm not sure why? 

Here's one for Larry,

Limited runs of individual top specification classic coaches. Quality and finish as high as can be managed from plastic production methods, with a price tag to reflect the necessary work that would need to go into their production. I imagine prototypes like Barnums (to go with the GCR theme), or maybe certain ECJS vehicles with clerestories and elaborate panelling and liveries etc. There are plenty of possibilities.

I would imagine that runs of a thousand or so, or a couple of thousand might work, but demand would have to be gauged first to check the viability of the project. Obviously these would naturally appeal to collectors, but also would give others the chance of owning models that would cost significantly more than having them built professionally.

I see this idea not being limited to Bachmann necessarily, but to any manufacturer prepared to take the initiative, provided that demand level is checked and the price pitched with care. I would certainly be prepared to stretch to getting the right models if it came to it, and it's not a case of having to have a high level of disposable income so much as being prepared to do without something else in order to afford something you want, which is what most of us do all the time.

Just a thought.

Nice idea, but I can't afford too many of them. It will be Hornby Railroad for me (if they are still in business !!). I like good models, but I am no detailaholic.

Brit15

To Expand Coachman

This was always going to end up as a wish list / froth fest just like the Hornby one, the difference being the Hornby thread only has days to last not 6 Months.  Normally (and sensibly) premature 'crystal ball' watching has been discouraged, somehow in this case it has been tolerated, I'm not sure why? 

Maybe it's because imagination makes life more fun....?

• RMweb Premium

I could use one certainly, but I think the most popular outside framed loco if it were released would be the Bulldog 4-4-0. They were widely used and lasted to early BR days. Given the latter is already announced, I don't see the very similar looking Duke being announced too soon. However with two GWR 4-4-0s in rapid succession they might wait a while. Or would they get in there sooner as they already have the CAD work for the chassis? I reckon they'd sell very well in a range of liveries. They'd need to settle on a particular variant that lasted to BR days.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Well, a lot of the Aberdare already exists within Bachmann's existing portflio.

No4 boiler, from the City class, and the tender is already available in its own right, straight off the ROD. The cab is mostly there, just needs to be lengthened a tad.

I'm scratch building one. That alone would put it top of the queue....

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's announcements will be made in July 2014 to tie in with their 25th anniversary events.

So falls in next year's BCC membership year for those of us longstanding members whose renewals are at the beginning of July. Does that mean anyone who doesn't renew membership next July will miss out on their free annual catalogue (and those that do get two in the same year).

I will certainly renew so not an issue for me, but for others perhaps...

Page 5 of the current Bachmann Times (Vol 14 No 2):

'Any members with expiry dates between April 2014 and August 2014 that choose not to renew their membership for 2014 will be sent a copy [of the 2014 catalogue] automatically upon publication'.

Well, a lot of the Aberdare already exists within Bachmann's existing portflio.

No4 boiler, from the City class, and the tender is already available in its own right, straight off the ROD. The cab is mostly there, just needs to be lengthened a tad.

Arguably even more so for a Bulldog: frame, tender from Dukedog, two-thirds of a no.2 boiler from the 56xx :prankster:

A 'Bulldog' would seem to be a natural follow-on using the Dukedog chassis but no doubt will depend on sales of the latter. Another contender is (hopefuly) the BR Std. 2 78XXX 2-6-0 on the Ivatt chassis.

Recent entrants have been pushing back the history marker towards pre-war once again, and ever further on the SR and GWR. But the lagger is the LMS and so I don't suppose we will see a re-tooled parallel boiler 'Royal Scot' in the near future.

Archived