New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

These look great and as others have said are very timely and have the potential to widen the market. Hope the railway children set come with a scale model of Jenny Agutter. Needs a sound chip too - "Right away Mr Mitchell....Thank you Mr Perks!" Could be the next RMweb challenge - the best Railway Children diorama?

Hornby kicked off with this trend for film related train packs with "The Titfield Thunderbolt" - what else could be done?

Brief Encounter - 4mt Tank plus coaches

Narnia - Manor plus GW coaches for opening sequence

Keep hoping that Hornby will do a Churchill Commemorative pack for next Xmas however as next Jan is 50 years since the great man's demise.

Phil

• Like 3

Hopefully wrong, but I suspect the Ambulance train and Railway Children sets will make use of the LMS coaches rather than any new tooling. The Thames Clyde Express is an interesting combination, is it possible that by the time those coaches were introduced (1926?) some compounds might have still have been in MR livery if not 1000 itself.

In my experience, it runs just as well as the ordinary stuff.

John

You now what I mean :jester: . Just feel I wouldn't want run it as much as normal range stock if it was. Would scared be that a collector would hunt me down to try and put it in a cabinet! :jester:

• Like 1

Yes they will be

TSO Clan Macleod

BSO Bailechaul

Loco HR L/L Blue 37 418 "An Comunn Gaidhealach" sound fitted[/size]

Sorry I may have missed something here. The coaches that were done for Modelrail were the West Highland Mk I s used on the Fort William to Mallaig steam service pre privatisation. Those in the set are the tourist green & cream Mk IIs that were used on the Kyle route out of Inverness. Are Modelrail commissioning these as well? It would be a shame if this livery is in the set only as I would certainly like a rake of 4. Would need to buy three sets to get 3 TSO's and 1 brake + some transfers for different names. Bit expensive but would get 3 sound chipped 37 chassis into the bargain.

Oh and a 101 DMU trailer car in the same livery wouldn't go a miss either:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16313630@N07/6420342107/in/set-72157628191062387/lightbox/

Edited by Marcus 37

Sorry I may have missed something here. The coaches that were done for Modelrail were the West Highland Mk I s used on the Fort William to Mallaig steam service pre privatisation. Those in the set are the tourist green & cream Mk IIs that were used on the Kyle route out of Inverness. Are Modelrail commissioning these as well? It would be a shame if this livery is in the set only as I would certainly like a rake of 4. Would need to buy three sets to get 3 TSO's and 1 brake + some transfers for different names. Bit expensive but would get 3 sound chipped 37 chassis into the bargain

i thought this too not the WHL sets......

I also wonder if they match the model rail coaches livery wise as they had an issue over the dividing line between the grey and blue on these mk2s before and I think the blue area was lowered (or raised - one ort tuther)........you might have the new coaches coupled to the model rail set with a slight mismatch in that livery dividing line.  kind of why i hoped Bachmann would release further matching coaches if the cream and green divides are different from the earlier MR stock. 

you could be right if MR commission a 2 or 3 open coach pack to make a 4 or 5coach rake up as they have with their 2 pack Trans-Pennines Mk2s.......who knows.......ask Bachmann.

Edited by ThaneofFife

Sorry I may have missed something here. The coaches that were done for Modelrail were the West Highland Mk I s used on the Fort William to Mallaig steam service pre privatisation. Those in the set are the tourist green & cream Mk IIs that were used on the Kyle route out of Inverness. Are Modelrail commissioning these as well? It would be a shame if this livery is in the set only as I would certainly like a rake of 4. Would need to buy three sets to get 3 TSO's and 1 brake + some transfers for different names. Bit expensive but would get 3 sound chipped 37 chassis into the bargain.

Oh and a 101 DMU trailer car in the same livery wouldn't go a miss either:http://www.flickr.com/photos/16313630@N07/6420342107/in/set-72157628191062387/lightbox/

There have been limited eds of both mk1 and mk2 in green/cream already. Can't be certain but think both were model rail or harburns...

Oh and a 101 DMU trailer car in the same livery wouldn't go a miss either:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16313630@N07/6420342107/in/set-72157628191062387/lightbox/

The description of this set on KMRC states that these coaches were used on the WHL when in fact they were mainly used on the Inverness-Kyle line, another very scenic route.

Harburn Hobbies have previously produced similar Bachmann MK2 Tourist Green/Cream "Clan" packs of these coaches, with four different names, thankfully the coaches in this new train set will have different names/no's. We shall have to wait and see just how well they match up ?

The LNER Green/Cream MK1 coaches as were used on the West Highland Line have also been previously produced in 2 differently branded packs of 4 -  possibly, jointly ? between Model Rail Magazine and Harburn Hobbies

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium

There's also 25-2014, the anniversary set whose contents haven't been revealed yet.

The only thing is both locos named "Silver Jubilee" have already been done in the past, a Jubilee no. 5552 in black with silver boiler bands as a limited edition (ref. 31-150) and 66 705 as a limited edition in GBRf livery (ref. 32-727Y)

Of course Bachmann will reveal something totally different ...

• RMweb Gold

Hornby kicked off with this trend for film related train packs with "The Titfield Thunderbolt" - what else could be done?

The Bridge on the River Kwai? Special effects courtesy of Uncle Festus from the Addams Family, perhaps.....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was asking myself the same question, I wasn't aware that Bachmann had a moulding for LMS/Midland non-corridor coaching stock. It is going to be disappointing if the coaches aren't up to the standard of the loco.

Why non-corridor? It certainly does have LMS corridor stock,although it must be said not to current standards. Certainly good enough to pass muster in a 1920's express.Anyway,Bachmann's Midland Compound is a glorious model...a real head turner in any livery.A seductive package.

Yes, lots of opportunities here with a film tie-in.

The Ghost Train - Dean Goods plus some clerestory coaches. Working model of Barmouth swing bridge included.

The Ghost Train - De-luxe version WITHOUT Arthur Askey

Oh Mr Porter - Complete with Gladstone and assorted wagons. Washing line across the track an optional extra.

• Like 1

Why non-corridor? It certainly does have LMS corridor stock,although it must be said not to current standards. Certainly good enough to pass muster in a 1920's express.Anyway,Bachmann's Midland Compound is a glorious model...a real head turner in any livery.A seductive package.

The picture clearly shows the leading carriage of the ambulance train without a corridor end, perhaps this is just artistic licence.

The picture clearly shows the leading carriage of the ambulance train without a corridor end, perhaps this is just artistic licence.

I think it is - they look otherwise like the Mainline/Bachmann LMS coaches that have been around for a while.

Tony

The new Bachmann train sets and packs look really good, particularly the Western Wanderer set is ideal for my requirements. Also they seem excellent value for money compared to buying the components separately. The good news for me is that Bachmann have finally made a pannier in GWR livery with a shirtbutton roundel, the bad news is that the real 3650 has the later squarer cab (as shown here http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/3650/3650.html) and as the model shown in the picture on the Bachmann website has the earlier cab with round spectacle windows it would need to be renumbered.

• RMweb Gold

Keep hoping that Hornby will do a Churchill Commemorative pack for next Xmas however as next Jan is 50 years since the great man's demise.

Phil

If that meant a newly tooled model of the SR Bogie PLV to replace the venerable Tri-ang one, I'd be all in favour.

However their (modern) model of 34051 was one of the NRM series; does that count as a limited edition?

John

• RMweb Gold

You now what I mean :jester: . Just feel I wouldn't want run it as much as normal range stock if it was. Would scared be that a collector would hunt me down to try and put it in a cabinet! :jester:

It's us "runners" that make the L/E models that have never seen the outside of their box more valuable. 

My take on this is that if a collector wanted any of mine, he needed to get there before me! :sungum:

John

It will be a great shame if the ambulance train coaches are an old tooling with a modern loco, especially as Hornbys WW1 troop train also appears to be a modern tooling with  old coaches.

still the price (if compaired to the NRM's full rrp and high postage) is lookin reasonable. I shall probably order one. 

I disagree that there are not many ww1 modellers out there. There are a good number especially in 009 who would im sure love to make 009/00 transfer yards A RTR ROD loco would be great (they already make the locos  just need the liverys)

No  better time for the RTR manufactures to help make that demand. 

cheerho

• Like 1

The description of this set on KMRC states that these coaches were used on the WHL when in fact they were mainly used on the Inverness-Kyle line, another very scenic route.

Harburn Hobbies have previously produced similar Bachmann MK2 Tourist Green/Cream "Clan" packs of these coaches, with four different names, thankfully the coaches in this new train set will have different names/no's. We shall have to wait and see just how well they match up ?

s

Must be an echo in the room......

I don't think anyone has highlighted it on here yet, but the Shakespeare set apparently contains an open-top bus. This was mentioned on one of the yahoo bus groups that I am in as possibly being a tie in with EFE, maybe their open-top Bristol/ECW VR casting?

Stewart

A Great St Trinian's set with the Whickham trolley loaded with teachers, a Frankie Howerd in morris dancer garb and a Thumper filled with waving hockey sticks!

Cheers

J

Or a Ladykillers set with V2 and windcutters, signal gantry, tunnel mouth, Mrs. Lopsided's house, automatic operating wheelbarrow and five figures?

• Like 1

There's also 25-2014, the anniversary set whose contents haven't been revealed yet.

The only thing is both locos named "Silver Jubilee" have already been done in the past, a Jubilee no. 5552 in black with silver boiler bands as a limited edition (ref. 31-150) and 66 705 as a limited edition in GBRf livery (ref. 32-727Y)

Of course Bachmann will reveal something totally different ...

66 705 is named 'Golden Jubilee'.