On Shenston Road. Some recent photos.

Swindon 123

Michael

As the bible states (approximately)

How can you remove the splinter from your neighbours eye when you can't see the log in your own......

Or, weren't KEVs introduced in1979 after all the 47s were renumbered. Wagon clips indeed!.........

Personally, loving this stuff. Top-flight modelling.

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• RMweb Gold

Michael

How can you remove the splinter from your neighbours eye when you can't see the log in your own......

Or, weren't KEVs introduced in1979 after all the 47s were renumbered. Wagon clips indeed!.........

Which thread are you reading/replying to?!!

We're on about Bogie Bolster E's, (or I think BEV in modernspeak).

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Enterprising Western,

In Bungus' s defence his reply was relating to the photo in post 322 where a KEV is coupled to a DIT class 08.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-a-few-bevs-and-a-western-chieftain/?p=2840928

Cheers

Don't defend the indefensible!

Mike.

Since Greg, like myself, has quite a generous time period for our modeling, ranging from locos Greg saw in the early 70's, and those I like the look of especially if it's unusual, to locos we both drove during our careers up to the mid 1990's, there are sometimes occasions when reality gets blurred. If we were to sort out every train into its properly lettered up wagons to go with the appropriately numbered loco, you wouldn't get any photos at all, or very rarely. Plus as my photography had got better you can now actually read the lettering and numbering, there will be mismatches, and it is going to stay that way. After all it's Greg's railway and he runs what he likes and I take the photos of what he produces and runs. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Michael

Not splinter - speck!

Sorry in my earlier post I thought it was yours Paul

Its a stunning model whoever's it is.

Have you finished on the railway now then?

Yes russ p, I had the chance to take the money and run back in 2010, and I ran. Don't regret it in the least, especially with the DB Cargo traincrew restructuring fiasco of this year. In theory it gave me more time for modeling, but it never worked out that way. Far too much other stuff to do, that I never got the chance to do when working. Shenston Road was built by Greg (D1047 on here), with a lot of help and design input from myself. Most of the scenic work and all the loco's coaches and wagons are Greg's work though.

Paul J.

Yes russ p, I had the chance to take the money and run back in 2010, and I ran. Don't regret it in the least, especially with the DB Cargo traincrew restructuring fiasco of this year. In theory it gave me more time for modeling, but it never worked out that way. Far too much other stuff to do, that I never got the chance to do when working. Shenston Road was built by Greg (D1047 on here), with a lot of help and design input from myself. Most of the scenic work and all the loco's coaches and wagons are Greg's work though.

Paul J.

And a cracking layout it is too!! I particularly like the concrete gasworks building, office block, bus depot & the Shenston Automotive buildings :boast:

• Like 1

First of all I must thank Kier and Paul for posting more pics of the latest developments on the Shenston fleet.Also a big thank you to all those that have commented and liked etc,there have been  valid points made and I must confess missing the a### about face plates on the bogie bolster e but in my defence of rebuilding 18 of these wagons in one go I did become a bit stir crazy.We are very lucky to have a web site were we can all share information to  improve our observations and modelling skills so please feel free to comment.As far as photo composition is concerned the odd wagon or vehicle from the wrong era does creep in however hard we try .I have quite a broad time scale interest. pre- tops late 60s early 70s to recreate my train spotting days I also have stock from the  late 70s 80s era, re creating memorable times of my working career which may sometimes accidentally photo bomb the scene.I have based the layout in the Black country, my birth place but I do not restrict and can not resist to have exotic stock run now and again..I myself am due to retire soon after over 40 years on the footplate so I hope to spend a bit more time improving and developing the layout ,stock and operation.Thank you all once again for your comments.    

• Like 4

Some lovely 'Bolster E' models there; brought back memories of seemingly-endless rakes heading across Old Castle crossing, Llanelli, en-route to Great Bridge.

Do these use the Lima underframe, or the Cambrian one from the Turbot?

Hi The chassis are modified Lima, added stretcher bars oleo buffers and cambrian bogies.But beware the plastic Lima used is not modeller friendly as it has a tendency to crack and shatter if carved with a scalpel.I found the best way to remove the original buffers is to drill out using a small 12volt power drill witch partly drills and melts off the original buffers allowing you to tidy up the buffer beam with a fine file ready for the new buffers.   

• RMweb Gold

Hi The chassis are modified Lima, added stretcher bars oleo buffers and cambrian bogies.But beware the plastic Lima used is not modeller friendly as it has a tendency to crack and shatter if carved with a scalpel.I found the best way to remove the original buffers is to drill out using a small 12volt power drill witch partly drills and melts off the original buffers allowing you to tidy up the buffer beam with a fine file ready for the new buffers.   

Having done 40 odd of these, I concur with Greg on the need for extreme care with the Lima "plastic", there are actually 2 types of material used, one is a virgin plastic, and as such is is far more user friendly for cutting and carving, but the other is reconstituted plastic with all sorts of padding in it, and is more akin to Bakelite as Greg mentions.

I used a combination of chisels, HSS cut off tools and files to remove extraneous details, and on the Bakelite versions, despite great care, still managed to chip various edges and corners off, the buffers best being dealt with by pulling out the metal buffer head and centre drilling 0.5mm, sawing off the buffer shank and the using broaches to expand the hole up to 2mm.

It goes without saying that to do the Lima model proper justice, a combination of Rumney Models, Lanarkshire Model Supplies and Cambrian Models products are de rigueur.

Mike.

PS.

An absolutely cracking layout that is on my bucket list. (If it doesn't finish up attached to Wibdenshaw in the Iberian Home For Loved And Retired Train Sets first!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul J.

Great layout, has given me some inspiration as I'm starting my layout again shortly.

I didn't realise you'd finished so long ago. Back in may I had the privilege of doing a bit on a deltic charter and we had to swap locos round in ferme park and two kings cross men came over two have a look, somehow model railways were mentioned and this chap mentioned your name.

He was 74 seniority and lived at Hatfield, can't remember his name ,I don't think he'd come out of the closet as a crank but had a massive smile when we let him run number nine round!

Edited by russ p

Great layout, has given me some inspiration as I'm starting my layout again shortly.

I didn't realise you'd finished so long ago. Back in may I had the privilege of doing a bit on a deltic charter and we had to swap locos round in ferme park and two kings cross men came over two have a look, somehow model railways were mentioned and this chap mentioned your name.

He was 74 seniority and lived at Hatfield, can't remember his name ,I don't think he'd come out of the closet as a crank but had a massive smile when we let him run number nine round!

I hope he had nice things to say about me Russ.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

He did, he said you were slightly older than him but he was slightly senior there was a coloured chap singing your praises too.

Don't you miss the job or had you got to the point where it was just a job?

I still enjoy it but if we get rid of all the old stuff might feel different, at the moment I hardly ever get a 66 which is good!

He did, he said you were slightly older than him but he was slightly senior there was a coloured chap singing your praises too.

Don't you miss the job or had you got to the point where it was just a job?

I still enjoy it but if we get rid of all the old stuff might feel different, at the moment I hardly ever get a 66 which is good!

I was a late starter on the footplate, and enjoyed every minute of it until the 66's came along, then it all changed. Worst locos I've ever had the misfortune to work on, plus the fact they had no driver comfort compared to the 60's which we had on the Dee Marsh trains up until then, plus the 60's were far better than the 66's when it came to hauling the Dee Marsh's as well. Management attitudes also changed towards their staff, and I had the misfortune to have a serious medical condition that was accommodated at first, but by 2010 it became obvious that that was not going to be the case much longer, so when the opportunity came I decided to jump ship. I haven't missed the job, but strangely I still have dreams about it, although they are always based back in the good old BR days. Weird!

Paul J.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can wholeheartedly agree with your 66 comments.

I'm accommodated at present as I can't eat food and HR aren't exactly been great with it had to quote the disability discrimination act to them as its a result of cancer.

I believe you also know Dave Thompson AKA deltic Dave

Funny I often dream of my BR days at Thornaby

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...